Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oral Thrush Question
      #33639 - 05/03/02 11:46 AM

I was tested for HIV 2yrs After last possible exposure, I tested because I had burning tongue and my Doctor told me I had Candidisis (Thrush) I took the test and it came back Negative. I was tested for other things as well and I came back with NO viruses in my body. He put me on Diflucan which did Nothing for me. My question is since I tested well out of the "window period" should I just believe my test and move on?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oral Thrush Question new
      #33641 - 05/03/02 12:04 PM

Yes, you should believe your test. There are many reasons for oral candidiasis such as diabethes, use of systemic or topic corticosteroids (cortisone), use of broad spectrum antibiotics (most likely) and something else. Please see:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Oral/Archive/Candidiasis/
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Oral/Archive/Symptoms/

There is a sort of ecologic balance in your body, bacteria keep candida at bay, if you kill bacteria with antibiotics candida shows up. Candida relies on sugar, that's why it appears with diabethes.
Hope this helps.

--
w02

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33642 - 05/03/02 12:11 PM

Yes but I wasnt on antibiotics or steriods....I tested for diabetes also....that was also negative. The burning tongue appeared after a early miscarriage. If I was taking something I would never have worried. Only other thing I can attribute to it would be my diet. The doc never took a culture.

une_fille.
Unregistered

#33643 - 05/03/02 12:18 PM

Was your thrush visible? I'm just curious because I have burning tongue, too but the doctor cannot see anything and says it's not thrush. But my tongue is very irritated and burning at the tip (and lips, too) and feels uncomfortable in the back. Just wondering if I should get a culture done.

worried2002.
Unregistered

#33645 - 05/03/02 12:23 PM

You tested neg after the window, so it's not HIV. Pregnancy is a whole different issue and i suggest you to talk about the possible reasons for your burning tongue with your doc. If thrush isn't visible how could he assume that your burning mouth was caused by candida? BMS has a lot of hormonal ties. i suggest a culture, this isn't likely candida, moreover diflucan isn't doing anything and this makes me think it's not candida. But i am not a doctor, find a knowledgeable dentist thet will revise your diagnosis.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33646 - 05/03/02 12:23 PM

Well my Doctor sent me to an ENT when I went back and said the Diflucan didnt help. The ENT said my tongue looked irritated, he ran Autoimmune tests, Sed Rate, and many others and said I had no viruses. I asked him about HIV he said that would be at the bottom of his list...I told him I tested Negative for HIV prior to seeing him and asked him if I needed another test, he said NO that would be Very Rare. He also told me this burning tongue condition may be something that I just have to live with. Even though I took the test 2yrs after and its negative, I guess sometimes I just need Xtra reassurance.

worried2002.
Unregistered

#33647 - 05/03/02 12:28 PM

Burning mouth syndrome is often associated with menopause. I suggest a google search for it. The fact thet you mentioned miscarriage made me think about possible hormonal reasons.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33649 - 05/03/02 12:33 PM

Thanks Worried!
I've been looking into the Burning mouth syndrome...I found out it affects different age groups. I also find it odd that when I eat and chew gum the burning pain is gone....when there is thrush doesnt it cause MORE pain to eat????

Also Burning mouth syndrome can and does affect men.

worried2002.
Unregistered

#33651 - 05/03/02 12:38 PM

I don't know if it hurts more when you eat, i don't know if i have thrush, surely my tongue burns too... Gonna see the dentist and then i'll tell you but i'm not scheduled until may, 18.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33653 - 05/03/02 12:44 PM

Ok, I'll check back to see what your dentist tells you. But since I tested Negative 2yrs after the fact I shouldnt worry about HIV then?

worried2002.
Unregistered

#33654 - 05/03/02 12:50 PM

I really think you shouldn't.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3497

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3