Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
une_fille
All Star

Reged: 03/28/02
candida questions and pcr question
      #33321 - 04/29/02 07:16 PM

hi guys...i'm still freaking out. i went back to the ENT last week about the burning tongue and swollen nodes (the now four in the neck, i didn't tell him about the two in the groin). he said he didn't see anything wrong with my tongue (did confirm the swollen nodes) and told me to go to an internist to get a physical and blood work (great...i'm going on wednesday afternoon). i know that oral thrush can cause burning tongue, but is oral thrush always obviously visible? i mean is the thick white cottage-cheese appearance only in severe cases and nothing too visible in very mild cases? my tongue has a white coating and where it burns at the tip to mid-tongue it looks very irritated (taste buds are red and feel inflammed). my lips and throat are burning, too. i am worried because the doc said acid reflux could also cause burning tongue and i thought maybe that's what it is because i have been having an uncomfortable feeling in my chest (not pain, but like as if food is stuck there) which i have just been writing off as stress. but then when i looked on the internet about chest discomfort, i read that esophagitis candida can cause the same stuck-food feeling that i have. so i'm thinking that maybe i have oral thrush that has spread to my esophagus. any thoughts?

regarding the pcr...i've read on The Body the differences btw rna and dna pcr. i had a dna at 6 1/2 weeks...would hiv already be in the cells at 6 weeks or would it still be in the blood plasma which the dna pcr would not detect (only rna pcr detects hiv in the plasma)? i couldn't find the answer to this question. does anyone know?

thanks so much in advance.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: candida questions and pcr question new
      #33324 - 04/29/02 07:39 PM

DNA detects HIV in blood - it is almost always positive after 28 days, and RNA detects virus in Plasma.

une_fille
All Star

#33326 - 04/29/02 07:46 PM

What is the difference between plasma and blood? I thought plasma was part of the blood and DNA detects the virus in the cells.

worried2002.
Unregistered

#33336 - 04/29/02 08:29 PM

Yes it's true, plasma is blood without white and red cells. This is how it works. The HIV virus has a coating that binds with the envelope of human t-cells (CD4+). once bound the HIV RNA is transferred within the t-cell nucleus. The HIV RNA is then copied by reverse transcriptase into proviral HIV DNA. This DNA is mixed with the white cell DNA (your DNA). This information is then used by the infected white cell to produce new virions (containing an RNA molecule). So proviral DNA is a sort of negative printing plate used to print out HIV copies. The printing machine is an infected T-cell.

HIV-PCR-DNA detects proviral DNA in infected t-cells.
HIV-PCR-RNA detects viral RNA which is free in your plasma.

About candida:
I have the same problem, burning tongue, it can be caused by a mild form of candida albicans infection which might not be fully visible (or even other ailments such as lichen planus etc.). This can be due to many factors (HIV, stress -that impairs immune system activity -, diabethes, use of broad spectrum antibiotics, etc). You can be experiencing acid reflux too. When you're stressed digestive acids (chloridric acid) can build up in your stomach and even find their way up into your esophagus (heartburn or esophagitis) and mouth (hence the burning mouth). These acids can irritate your oral mucosae. If your doctor found out that this possibility is the most likely i would believe him (at least i would believe a doctor more then i would believe worried2002). Hope this helps.

--
w02

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33343 - 04/29/02 09:07 PM

Ya hiv also has wings that makes it able to fly. Some people on this board go way too far. Hiv is very hard to catch so stop worring!!

worried2002.
Unregistered

#33346 - 04/29/02 09:12 PM

What did I say that didn't meet your taste?

une_fille
All Star

Re: Thank you new
      #33370 - 04/30/02 07:03 AM

Thanks for all the info! So would HIV have found its way into the white cells by 6 1/2 weeks? I'm assuming yes as that seems logical.

As for the acid reflux, the doctor didn't say that was the most likely possiblity, he was just throwing out suggestions. I'll go to the other doc on Wed and see what happens.

worried2002.
Unregistered

Re: Thank you new
      #33389 - 04/30/02 01:09 PM

Hiv must replicate. the only place where it can do it are white CD4+ cells, if it wouldn't affect human white cells there wouldn't be a thing like AIDS. Hugs

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2956

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3