Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Questions about Subtypes.
      #33211 - 04/28/02 02:30 PM

Im not trying to start an obsession on subtypes but i just have a question. I had been reading Springers post about subtype N. Now although rarely someone might get a weak positive, most of the time the Elisa cannot pick up thi very diverget subtype. Now i read that there are no known infections wirth subtype N in United states but how do they know. Are they just waiting for someone to get opportuisitic infections to find out? I mean there not going to go out and test a bunch of negative people to try and find a N Type. Also my second question is, why do mutations seem to only occur in other coutries besides the United States and Europe? Why is that? Dont you think it would be mutating here in the US as well?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
worried2002.
Unregistered

Re: Questions about Subtypes. new
      #33217 - 04/28/02 03:39 PM

First question: they have peptides that will react with N group antibodies and at least genotype sequences and information from four infected people, do you really think these were not included in latest versions of elisa (i'm talking versions, not generations, elisa tests are always updated). I hope yes, and i believe yes, elisa tests heve been pulled out of the market because they weren't able to pick up rare subtype infections. And i believe that YBF30 (the only known subtype in group N) which is around since 1995 isn't an exception to this rule. Why don't you call abbott diagnostics or whoever you like and ask them?
The weak reaction was back in 1995 when no-one knew about HIV-1 group N.

About mutations: Secondary transmission is much more kept at bay in the u.s. and europe. Cross-species infection cannot take place (except maybe on the rock of gibraltar or in a zoo). These can be reasons for the poor variability of HIV-1 in the u.s. and europe altough in europe we have many different subtypes (while B is still dominant). In the former soviet union C is widespread, in romania F is dominant.

Springer
Unregistered

#33226 - 04/28/02 06:34 PM

Worried can you show me a link which proves thatYBF30 (the only known subtype in group N) is picked up on the ELISA?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33255 - 04/29/02 04:37 AM

Le sérum de la patiente était négatif par un EIA compétitif spécifique pour VIH-1 M, une situation similaire étant retrouvée avec des sérums du groupe O et VIH-2. En revanche, ce sérum était positif, au moins faiblement, avec les EIA dits de " troisième génération ", tests utilisés pour le dépistage des dons de sang en Europe (Abbott, Behringwerke, Sanofi-Pasteur et Organon-Teknica), mais cette réactivité était douteuse dans certains tests rapides utilisés au Cameroun et ailleurs.

http://publications.crips.asso.fr/transcriptase/72_1049.htm

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1200

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3