Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
c.t.
Unregistered

help me figure this out please everyone
      #33174 - 04/27/02 11:19 PM

i have posted several times on this board. have a question for all of you to help me figure out. have tested numerous times dna test at 12,18,20,30,41,52 days all not-detected------tested ELISA 7,12,20,42,52,60,75 days all negative----------testedp24antigen 42 days negative--------------tested rna vl ultra sensitive<50 undetected-----------------but got a positive wetsern blot at 52 days post exposure----------had the girl in question tested at 60 days post exposure with me she was negative and also she tested one month b4 at planned parenthood with a hiv1/2 combo negative-----------i have had all symptoms of an hiv infection from rash to sore throat to mouth ulcer to extreme fatigue to lose stools to unexplained spots on hands to numbness in my right fingers but the muscle fatigue the most ntable of all------- did my cd4s were at 52 days 750 (50percent) cd8 405(27percent) ration 1;85---------------------- after all of my signs of infection the doctor i faxed my papers to said dont worry about infection doesnt look like acute infection but i think the opposite-----i am trying to be positive about the situation but with all the signs and then the test i have convinced myself that i have a rare strain going undetected by current antibody tests--------in theory if the wb was not correct wouldnt i have to take it again to disprove it-------or should i just take the antibody test again at 90 days then again at 6 months------it was negative at 2.5 months75 days----------i am cinfused with the girl testing negative but she told me about multiple illnesses she has experienced including fungal infection of the skin, hospitalized for tonsils, nose bleeds couldnt control, to pain in her sternum that moved to the right quadrant------i have convinced myself that she gave me infection and i despartley want it to be untrue-----i am so confused at this time for if i test negative on the antibody test again in 13 days it will be a conclusive 3 month test and if i would have never asked the doctor for the wb i would not have known about it for they dont give it unless you get a reactive elisa----------any suggestions for my situation would be appreciated greatly for i need all the help i can receive please!!!!!!!!!
ty

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: help me figure this out please everyone new
      #33177 - 04/27/02 11:32 PM

You should post this directly to Worried2002 because you want to get answer from an expert. I just got an impression that Worried2002 always has answer for any question.

Take care.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #33178 - 04/27/02 11:39 PM

Chris you're right, you have posted the same thing several times on this board. Several times you have been told that your doctor is right and more than likely the WB was a lab error. In light of ALL the testing you have done, and the fact every other test has been negative, the WB positive does not hold very much weight.

You have given us no new information to cause anyone to change their opinion. I don't understand why you keep asking. If you can't believe your own doctor, why believe us.

I have wondered if the reason you keep asking, is because you have not been completely honest about what your exposure was and so you are trying to get an answer to a question that you haven't asked.

I don't understand why you're doctor even ordered a WB. It is only used as a confirmation of a positive ELISA. The fact that you didn't have a positive ELISA and did the WB as a stand alone test points more to the fact it was a lab error.

My advice is to take the antibody test at 3 months and be done with it. But I know you won't do that. I just hope you survive what you have mentally done to yourself. You have allowed your mind to run away with you. You must get it back under control.

You have had more tests than anybody needs. Even without waiting for a 90 day test, all but 1 of your tests point to the fact that you are conclusively negative.

Let this go Chris. No matter what it is you are really trying to discern, the fact you have had so many negative test should put you at ease. You are doing great harm to yourself by your unbridled fear of the disease.

There is nothing to figure out. It's been cleared up for you by your doctor. I suggest you listen to him/her.

T.i.a.d.

Springer
Unregistered

#33187 - 04/28/02 04:10 AM

What country was your exposure in?

Was she from Asia or had someone exposed her from Asia or someone whom has bean exposed by someone from Asia?

Was she a prostitute?

Forget about O it’s N you need to look at

Why don’t you ask the girl to run a WB?

c.t.
Unregistered

#33194 - 04/28/02 10:13 AM

My exposure was in the US, doubt she will submit to anymore testing, i dont feel as though it was a lab error how hard is that to swallow, especially when i had every symptom in the book. I dont know what to do this time i have been gotten by something major, its like when one symptom leaves another comes know its my hand staying numb for the last week and a half it wont quit and my forearms and shins feel like their burning oh i am in so much trouble

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Did you know... new
      #33195 - 04/28/02 10:30 AM

That what you have describe is nothing like the way ARS works. The A in ARS stands for ACUTE.

Webster's dictionary defines acute as:

Main Entry: acute
Pronunciation: &-'kyüt
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): acut·er; acut·est
Etymology: Latin acutus, past participle of acuere to sharpen, from acus needle; akin to Latin acer sharp -- more at EDGE
Date: 14th century
1 a (1) : characterized by sharpness or severity (acute pain) (2) : having a sudden onset, sharp rise, and short course (acute disease) b : lasting a short time (acute experiments)

Symptoms do not come and go. Symptoms do not show up one at a time. Symptoms last for a short duration.

If the only reason you disbelieve all your negative results is based on your continuing symptoms, then you have nothing to worry about. You are not experiencing ARS.

You have worked yourself up into a frenzy and I'm sure that the stress you have put yourself under is coming out physically. Unchecked stress can cause chronic conditions...

Main Entry: chron·ic
Pronunciation: 'krä-nik
Function: adjective
Etymology: French chronique, from Greek chronikos of time, from chronos
Date: 1601
1 a : marked by long duration or frequent recurrence : not acute (chronic indigestion) (chronic experiments) b : suffering from a chronic disease (the special needs of chronic patients)
2 a : always present or encountered; especially : constantly vexing, weakening, or troubling (chronic petty warfare) b : being such habitually (a chronic grumbler)

T.i.a.d.

Anonymous
Unregistered

HOW MUCH HELP DOES "NO" TAKE new
      #33196 - 04/28/02 10:43 AM

Chris. Everytime you post on here you ask the very same question. Every time you get the same answers from everyone accept for the mentally disturbed like Springer.

If you want to just listen to those who are stuck in a very bad and destructive mental place where they can not see reality, where they create new types of a virus that they alone have been infected with just to justify that everyone including their doctors, labs and everyone else is wrong then go ahead.

NO ONE ON HERE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO HELP YOU.

Why do you even bother posting if your not going to take the answers that you are given. And don't say you are trying to get answers. You have been given answers. So you have one reactive WB test. Why is that what you focus on and not all the other negative tests that you have had. Yes you have symptoms, but as it has been posted on here MANY times stress can cause every symtom that you are reporting.

STOP LOOKING AT THE MEDICAL SIDE OF THINGS AND START LOOKING AT THE MENTAL HEALTH SIDE.

Or maybe in 10 years you will end up like another of our more cracy posters.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but sometimes love is tough.

worried2002.
Unregistered

#33200 - 04/28/02 12:12 PM

I AM NO EXPERT. I AM NO PHISICIAN.
Stop with this madness, i'm just curious and speculative but this doesn't mean i'm an expert. I most stress the fact that the only person that can shed some light on your doubts is a reputable phisician, not me.
Take care,

--
w02

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33209 - 04/28/02 02:16 PM

Hey, Ive got that burning sensation to. Do you know what could be causing it? Its like mild burning though.

Anonymous
Unregistered

GOLD STANDARD!!!! new
      #33221 - 04/28/02 06:03 PM

You guys on this board are amazing to me, EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING is related to stress on this board...(yeah, right). The guy tested positive on the GOLD STANDARD. He's positive for petes sakes. CT accept it and move on with your life.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: GOLD STANDARD!!!! new
      #33224 - 04/28/02 06:18 PM

No, he tested positive on a WB. Not the ELISA which is the 'gold standard'. His doctor has told him not to worry about it, that in light of all his negative ELISA's, PCR and P24 that this one test is a lab error.

He is not the first one to have a positive result on this board only to have a final negative.

While ARS symptoms are non-specific he has had symptoms that are in no way related to ARS or HIV in general. Over and over again on this board it has been proved that the more symptoms a person complains about, the less likely they are positive. Why mess with his head and tell him something that is completely opposite of what his doctor has told him?

Could it be that you have spent so many months researching this disease because you yourself can't accept the fact you are negative, that you think you know better than doctors?

pozsailor1

Reged: 02/24/02
      #33225 - 04/28/02 06:22 PM

jackie, let me set this straight, the wb is the gold standard, that's why it's called a "confirmatory test" the guy is pos.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#33228 - 04/28/02 08:04 PM

I doesn't surprise me that you would hold that view. If I recall you have NEVER had a positive test. You yourself have tested negative outside the window period, but refuse to believe that you don't have HIV. What I don't understand is why you can't believe your own tests and doctors about your negative tests, yet can be so sure that Chris' test is correct despite the fact his doctor told him it is a lab error.

I posted one of the links where Ryan Kull references the ELISA as the Gold Standard.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Testing/Q9769.html

As far as Chris, the following post is very similar to his situation. He has had a negative PCR after 28 days. He has had several negative Elisa's. Again, his doctor told him it was a lab error. I certainly think his doctor is a better source of information about this particular test.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Archive/TestingHIV/Q7015.html

T.i.a.d.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33240 - 04/29/02 01:06 AM

STOP BEING SO nasty your not an expert!

TerryD
Unregistered

Re: GOLD STANDARD????? new
      #33288 - 04/29/02 12:18 PM

This is hilarious!! Hiv its self has never been subjected to a Gold Standard and your talking about the ELISA test. Come on people do some reading before you post theses irresponsible ideas.

ref:
1. Ostrom N, Apolcalypse Now, New York Native, July 1996.

2. Science, 9.8.1996.

3. BBC Panorama, July 1996.

4. ibid.

5. JAMA, 276:8, 28.8.1996.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3336

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3