Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

T-Cell tests
      #32862 - 04/24/02 04:16 PM

Does anybody know where you can get a T-cell count without going to the doctor? Some places will run a CBC (ehivtest) without a doctor. Will they do T-Cell count as well?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Xander
All Star

Reged: 10/01/01
Re: T-Cell tests new
      #32865 - 04/24/02 04:23 PM

Why would you want to do this? T-Cell (CD4+) counts are used to monitor the need for and efficacy of therapy in hiv+ patients, not diagnose hiv infection.

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #32866 - 04/24/02 04:27 PM

If you do not know if you are or are not positive why would you be wanting to do a t-cell count. Any lab will do them for you without a Dr.s perscription, you just have to pay for it.
I still have a problem when there is someone who dosent trust There medical profesional when they say the person is neg. or why people will not take a test. The tests we have now are very accurate, whe the test says you are not positive you should believe it.

The G-Man

T.i.a.d.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#32867 - 04/24/02 04:32 PM

If one does not believe the tests, won't the T-cell counts give some absolution? Especially after some time has passed. If CD4 is very low, then it seems conclusive to me. Am I way off? Wouldn't it just be another notch on the good side if this count was high?

Xander
All Star

Reged: 10/01/01
      #32868 - 04/24/02 04:37 PM

If you don't believe an hiv test, why would you believe a cd4+ count? And in hiv+ people, cd4+ counts can range all the way from essentially zero to well above normal values, so it would prove very little.

Anonymous
Unregistered

T-Cell Indication new
      #32869 - 04/24/02 04:54 PM

T-Cell count can give an indication of what is happening depending of the time when possible exposure had occured.

For example if one thinks it has been infected for ten years, surely CT-Cell count will be low and indicate there is an infection (providing not being on meds).

They can also give anindication in first few months of infection when the viral load is highest and T-Cell count lowest - until the baseline is established.

Depending on time line surely you can use T-Cell count to view your health status in regards to HIV infection, but certain other times it will show you nothing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: T-Cell % new
      #32870 - 04/24/02 04:58 PM

Forgot to add that percentage of T-Cell count can give you even better indication. Percentage with infected people is always lower under 35%, and with non-infected people percentage is around and over 50% - regardless of the numbers.

Even if your T-Cell count is normal, and percentage is low than it could be alarming, if T-Cell count is low - but percentage is high than it is better and most likely ok.

Of course no one is claiming that this can be used to know exact status - but still it can help some people trusting bit more their negative Elisa test.

needhelp02
Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/02
Re: Thanks new
      #32873 - 04/24/02 05:11 PM

Thanks for the posts. I'm sure everyone knows the story. 4 neg Elisas, 1 neg PCR DNA and still swollen nodes. I plan on getting the T-Cell count done so I can see what the hell is going on. I'm afraid to death it is coming back at less than 200. Would I then have AIDS with ZERO HIV tests coming back positive? My total lymphocyte count as of March 8th was 1830 and I'm afraid it is going to be much less now. Where can I get a T-cell count quicker than the doctor who I have pestered incessantly and I'm sure is annoyed as hell? Thanks

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Thanks new
      #32874 - 04/24/02 05:15 PM

I can see why your doctor is annoyed with you. Did you know that the CD4 count can vary in range from one hour to the next. When we get our counts done. We don't look at one test, we look at the pattern. So are you planning on testing every 3 months for the rest of your life, to check a pattern with your CD4 count... or are you ever going to stop this nonsense.

needhelp02
Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/02
Re: Jackie.... new
      #32875 - 04/24/02 05:24 PM

Jackie, please don't judge me this way. I know something is wrong with me and all this started after one unprotected sex encounter with someone I didn't know very well. I feel that nobody in the world knows how I feel. I don't want to be positive but i just want to know what it is. If I am positive, I am going to be pissed as hell that I haven't been able to get treatment sooner. This is such a living hell that nobody can appreciate. At least if they did find it, I could start treatment and live a lot longer. What do I do? What test can end this misery for me? BTW, I am going to therapy, tomorrow is the 3rd session. I don't feel any better. My problem is physical, not mental. Why can't anyone see that?

TerryD
Unregistered

#32878 - 04/24/02 06:44 PM

Your problem could be mental/emotional its all connected. A friend of mine kept insisting that "something" was wrong with him and could not be told otherwise, even by doctors. He eventually became very self-desructive stopped eating and died. It can be a self-fullfilling prophesis you know. Not trying to scare anybody but the mind is powerfull.

TerryD
Unregistered

#32880 - 04/24/02 06:46 PM

T-Cells have never been connected with a persons well being they can be up and down at any moment. Some natuarlly have more than others and can be perectly healthy.

Jade G.
Unregistered

needhelp02 new
      #32886 - 04/24/02 08:23 PM

Now, I thought that you said that you were going to stop with this BS once your PCR came back undetected. YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV, for the love of GOD, please get that through your head! IF you had HIV, do you really think that all of your tests would be negative? Get a grip on reality and enjoy your life. Constantly obsessing about HIV makes no sense in your case. Nobody wants to be mean to you, but enough is enough. If you do have some other illness, trust your doctor to diagnose it. Please move on.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#32897 - 04/24/02 10:12 PM

Strangely enough I agree with Terry, the mind is very powerful. Please Needhelp02 get over this fear, if you do have some sort of health problem it is NOT hiv related. You have to let this go. Get your thyroid checked you may have some sort of imbalance!

Anonymous
Unregistered

TO needhelp02 new
      #32904 - 04/24/02 11:35 PM

I know exactly how you feel- i couldnt have said it better. it is very frustrating that no one "takes me seriously". and i am looking for the magic bullet that would explain everything. hang in there, you are not alone!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5302

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3