Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Magnus
Unregistered

This is not TRUE
      #32177 - 04/17/02 06:44 AM

One person at this Forum are stating that we donīt have enough person that have tested after a exposure and that why U.S still have 6 months. This are not true!

First of all we have a group of person with Primary infections that seek medical help. These person knows that they have been at a great risk for infection or the primary infection can give information about when this person may have been infected(primary infection shows up 2-4 weeks after exposure)

The second group are Nurses with needle stick injuries from HIV/AIDS patients. These persons will have numerous test to see if and when they will show positive.

The third group are those person like many in this forum they know that they have had a great risk for infection and tests numerous times with Antibody test and PCR and so on most test at 3 months or 6 months(depends where you lives)

So this are the same in the whole world.

I can also explain why WHO recommends test up to 6 months and the reason for that is that they need to cover the whole world. In Japan and asia it is very common to use the PA test instead of ELISA, the PA test are the same technigue that used in pregnancy test so they donīt use the ELISA. In africa and other poor coutrys they still use older test some countrys are still using the first test from 1985. In Europe and USA we are using the EIA Or Elisa test and confirmation test like immunblot or western blot.
(The western blot can be for HIV 1 or combined for both HIV 1/2 this test we are using in sweden. If you use the western blot for both HIV 1/2 at least two bands must show reactive for HIV 1 the following bands(at least two must show reactive) gp 120, gp 41 or gp 160 for HIV 2 gp 36, gp 125 or gp 140)

Diffrent countrys use urine, oral,rapid tests, home access tests and so one, the urine and oral test are very good but not as good as the ELISA and that why these test are not used in Sweden.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: This is not TRUE new
      #32189 - 04/17/02 09:11 AM

Magnus,the urine and oral are only collection devices and not the actual test.
They use ELISA to test the samples as well.

Magnus
Unregistered

#32191 - 04/17/02 09:31 AM

I doesnīt matter, ELISA are the method, ELISA method are used to diagnos many diffrent things. Blood test are always better to diagnos virus infections and to search for Antibodys. But if you feel fine to have a oral test or to pee out diffrent HIV proteins and it works for you, GO FOR IT! If the the ELISA test can cause False negatives at 3 months and take up to 6 months and need a certain amount of antibodys to be detected my vision are that a blood test are the best thing, I wouldnīt thrust a urine sample or oral test when I know for a fact that they not as accurate as a ELISA antibody test with recombinat antigen and also the Blood test are the most common test and also we have more experience in blood test when it comes to HIV. Urine test you can use to see if you are pregnant if you are a girl. But Hey, if urine test feel safe for you go for it their is no big diffrent but I would have a blood test that are 99.9% accurate than urine that have 98-99.5 accuracy.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#32194 - 04/17/02 09:47 AM

also, why did you group home access in with the oral and urine tests? home access IS an ELISA blood test, just like what is done in other labs.

Magnus
Unregistered

#32198 - 04/17/02 09:59 AM

I just wrote all the test I could come up with just to SHOW THAT THEIR IS MANY DIFFRENT KINDS OF TEST IN THE WORLD, Yes what I can understand about home access kits they are a first generation test that are updated wich means more sensitive than the FIRST antibody test in 1985. Donīt hung up on small things, OK!?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: not TRUE Magnus new
      #32218 - 04/17/02 02:27 PM

ACTUALLY Magnus, if you took the time to look up any info before you posted your opinion you would have found that the oral "test" using ORASURE is more accurate than blood because of the higher concentration of ANTIBODIES in OMT vs. blood.
Stick to pocket knives and stop preaching about HIV.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ?? new
      #32219 - 04/17/02 03:30 PM

I'm no expert in this field but I was tested for HIV about 2 months ago and the clinic that did my test offered both blood test and orasure. I was told nurse and doctor that both tests are exactly the same. They are both 3rd generation Elisa's and there is no difference between the two. Both are 99.999999% accurate after 3 months.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ?? new
      #32262 - 04/18/02 09:12 AM

my point exactly but Magnus knows much more then anyone

Chi
Regular

Reged: 08/19/02
Re: not TRUE Magnus new
      #38431 - 08/19/02 01:32 AM

Can you please send me links that back up what you just said.(Orasure is more accurate than blood test)

Also just to be sure"3rd gen tests are more accurate than 1st gen tests"...is this right ?? Orasure is 3rd gen test, right ?

Thanks a million.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2144

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3