Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
What do you tell your children?
      #31636 - 04/09/02 05:38 PM

I call this one of my something to think about posts. By the title I'm sure you can guess it's directed at parents that are on this board.

Call it synchronicity, every once in a while it seems a topic seems to keep catching my attention. Today it seems to be kids, HIV and what they learn either by what is spoken or what is not spoken.

We have the technical:

How many of you talk to your kids about HIV and other STD's? How many of you make sure your kids know how to protect themselves? How many of you have talked about the way HIV can and (sometimes more importantly) cannot be transmitted? How many of you, especially with daughters have talked to them about what to do if a guy doesn't want to practice safe sex?

Attitudes:

How many of you have examined your own attitudes about HIV and people with it. What type of attitudes are you passing on to your kids about it. Do they get the message from you that people with HIV are just like any other or do they get the message people with HIV are to be feared, dirty, immoral? Are you passing on sterotypical beliefs?

Are you even talking to your kids about any of this? Do you say he/she is too young? Are you uncomfortable with the topic? Do you think, I don't have too, they learn all about it in school?

Parents want to protect their children. Sometimes it means tackling hard subjects. The stigma the people with HIV live with comes from people forming opinions with a lack of knowledge.

Whether you talk about it directly or not to your kids, they pick up and incorporate your views of people. What are they learning from you? Something to think about.

J.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: What do you tell your children? new
      #31643 - 04/09/02 07:00 PM

Hi Jackie,

It's nice to see that you are still posting here, and just as wise and compassionate as ever! I just stopped in here today, for the first time in months, just to drop a quick message about other STD's. I went through the usual guilt/panic associated with unprotected sex with a person of unknown status, and it put me through 3 months of hell (standard window period), followed by another 3 months of minor worry (conservative window period). I posted here, and you were one of the many people who helped me through this difficult period.

Now you bring up an excellent point, which I think is directly tied to prevention, as well as social prejudices. I hope people read your message, and ask themselves if there is anything they could be doing to better inform their kids about STDs and safe sex.

My hiv scare is over, but I am still thinking about all of the other STDs that are even easier to catch than hiv! Like HPV (which can cause gential warts), and HSV (which can cause herpes sores). I say "can" because lots of times people never even realize they have these things, because often there are no symptoms to notice (similar to hiv, although the awareness and fear of hiv is a lot more prevelant). HPV is so contagious that it is still possible for it to spread during safe sex! Like all viruses, there is no real cure, only treatment.

Most people have been conditioned to fear hiv the most, because aids gets the kind of publicity that scares the hell out of people. But let's remember that there are other STDs out there too, and that viruses and germs are equal opportunity microbes. Prejudice has no place in health and medical issues, we're all in this together.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: What do you tell your children? new
      #31646 - 04/09/02 07:10 PM

Excellent point. HIV isn't the only STD out there. It certainly isn't the easiest to catch.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1269

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3