Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Always have antibodies?
      #31608 - 04/09/02 02:40 PM

Will a person always have antibodies present? Will they ever lose them years done the road?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
worried2002.
Unregistered

Re: Always have antibodies? new
      #31611 - 04/09/02 03:04 PM

AFAIK. If a person is infected with HIV the proteins constituting the virus itself are recognised by the B-Lymphocites as antigens. The B-Limphocytes (not the T ones) start producing antibodies to those particular antigens starting since day one from infection. The window period in antibody testing is due to the sensibility of current test, they need a certain quantity of antibodies to be reliable and this level is reached only after 4-12 weeks from infection.
In certain rare patients with advanced AIDS disease (we are not talking about asymptomatic HIV here) the antibodies to certain proteins constituting the HIV virus (e.g., the core protein p24) are no longer produced due to severe immune system stress, this doesn't mean that all antibodies aren't produced but some are not any more at least in a detectable quantity. This will show up in western blot tests where previously positive patients will go back to indeterminate by losing one or two bands on their test (the wb test represents antigen presence with bands on a nitrocellulose strip, each band correspond to a specific antigen).
This is a very rare occurence even in advanced AIDS cases.
I just want to stress that i am no doctor and this is information i gathered from talks with MDs, books and official sites on the internet. If you have doubts about this issue or testing in general i suggest you seek hiv counseling or talk to your doctor, hope this helps. Hugs

----
w2002

gregg629
Guardian

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
Re: Always have antibodies? new
      #31612 - 04/09/02 03:06 PM

In the late stages of AIDS when there is nothing at all left of the imune system and the person is very close to death they will sometimes show no signs of Antibodies.

HOWEVER please don't take this to mean that you might have been infected long enough for Antibodies to no longer show. If that was the case, you would most likely not have been able to post here.

Atelast that's how I understand thing.

Gregg

Bottom line
Unregistered

Re: 10 year guy new
      #31624 - 04/09/02 04:10 PM

We have seen this same question about every 3 days from the guy who thinks he was infected 10 years ago. If this be he, get mental help and get off this board!

If not, then in a nutshell, you can stop producing antibodies if you are 1. Close to dead (very,very sick) or 2. Dead. The body does not pick and choose what diseases it is not going to produce antibodies against so you would certainly know if either 1. or 2. apply.

Bottom Line

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I guess you would know new
      #31628 - 04/09/02 04:40 PM

So I guess that you would know if you were at advanced stage AIDS. Could someone be there and be completely healthy (feeling)?

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: I guess you would know new
      #31632 - 04/09/02 05:04 PM

A person would never be at the late stages of Advanced HIV Disease and not have some idea something was wrong.

First off even in the late stages of HIV, it is extremely rare for someone to stop producing antibodies. Second off this happens right near the end of life. So unless you are planning your funeral for Saturday, I'd say you are producing antibodies as you should.

For the people that are even concerned about this and believe this is why they are testing negative. I think you should do a little independent research on the mechanics of the immune system and antibodies. If you really understood this you wouldn't even be considering it as an option.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Thank you new
      #31633 - 04/09/02 05:12 PM

Thank you for the responses. I am new here and have been reading the recent postings by needhelp and was a little concerned about the antibodies as well.

Bottom Line
Unregistered

Re: Antibodies new
      #31634 - 04/09/02 05:21 PM

As the fonz would say, "Correctamondo". If you couldn't produce antibodies, things like the common cold would kill you. Not becasue the immune system couldnt handle it, but because the antibodies would never tell them to do so. Think of antibodies as the body's Paul Reverve rallying the troops in to action.

Unlike most diseases which have there own destructive powers (like Mono, chicken pocks), HIV attaks the troops themselves (the immune system). This then allows in opportunistic infections which then wear down the body. HIV meds are designed to slow down the destruction of the immune system itself.

So to make a long story short, if you couldnt produce antibodies I am most certain you would know.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Antibodies are.. new
      #31640 - 04/09/02 06:13 PM

always a sign of protection from that disease thats why they are there. What do you think anti-bodies mean? Hiv appentley has a very intelligent mind of its own that can trick the founadtions of science and fools who follow.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: Thank you new
      #31644 - 04/09/02 07:07 PM

Since you are new I'll let you in on something that will save your sanity. When people who have tested negative repeatedly post theories like these they are only trying to justify the fact they can not move on with their lives.

In Needhelp02's case, he is still convinced he contracted HIV from a one time unprotected act in college 10 years ago. He is desperately trying to prove that all his negative tests are wrong. The more strongly someone is fighting the fact that they are indeed positive, the more outrageous the theories get. If it weren't so sad that these people can't let go, some of the theories they come up with would be downright funny.

Of course the other danger is the fact people like you that are just learning about HIV, don't know how off the wall these theories are.

Terry D
Unregistered

Re: antibodies? new
      #31662 - 04/10/02 01:05 AM

Gregg:
In the late stages of AIDS when there is nothing at all left of the imune system and the person is very close to death they will sometimes show no signs of Antibodies.

Where did you get this information? Provide your sources! Sounds like more crap you made up.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: antibodies? new
      #31672 - 04/10/02 01:40 AM

http://hopkins-aids.edu/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&category_id=91&id=6105

Here's one for you. I don't really want to waste time putting up a bunch for you, because you know very well you feel the Hopkins site is the enemy and wouldn't believe anything from a reliable source anyway.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 10 year guy new
      #31793 - 04/11/02 04:51 PM

There are plenty of people who have almost no tcells and are alive and well.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3448

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3