Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure
      #30901 - 03/30/02 02:26 PM

I accidently touched some dried blood stains on the ground. I have a cut on my thumb. What if the blood belonged to a HIV postive person? Can I catch HIV this way? What if the HIV gets onto the skin of my hands and I proceed to touvh table tops, utensils, things etc, can I 'smear' the HIV onto this objects and cause some other careless person who touches them infection as well?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Not sure new
      #30903 - 03/30/02 03:01 PM

Dried blood would not have any viable HIV virus in it. You can't 'smear' HIV around where other careless people could get infected.

HIV is NOT transmitted by causal contact. There are only 3 ways the virus is transmitted. Unprotected sexual contact, blood to blood, such as shared needles, or blood transfusions, and mother to child during birth or nursing. That's it. No other ways will spread the virus.

Richard
Unregistered

Jackie you are wrong new
      #30912 - 03/30/02 05:30 PM

It is very common for transaction to occured by touching dried blood. There are thousands of cases documented in Australia, Europe and Africa.

If your exposure was in the last seven days it would be very advisable to visit the doctor immediately and get your thumb amputated before the virsu spread to the rest of your body. In order to be sure that that doe snot happened and you don;t get infected you should ask your doctor to proscribe you PEP - so you have double security.

Considering you are going to test negative in early stage it would also very advisable to get Insurance policy as medication for HIV in case you get infected become covered by Insurance as they will cost about US$ 15-20,000 per year.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: Jackie you are wrong new
      #30915 - 03/30/02 05:45 PM

Richard,

I thought you were actually serious until I saw you suggest they get their thumb amputated. That part about all those thousand of documented cases of exposure from dried blood was pretty funny too once I realized you were joking and had not gone off the deep end.

The thing is, while I might be able to see your post as a joke, many people might actually take you seriously not realizing you are being sarcastic. I don't think you would want to be responsible for a panic.

Richard
Unregistered

Seing as a joke new
      #30917 - 03/30/02 05:51 PM

As we all know loughs helps a lot and I am sure that some people might laugh at that as well.

As far as panic is concern I do hope that they see that as a joke and don't take much attention to it - but your post and this explanation will probably reassure them.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: Seing as a joke new
      #30919 - 03/30/02 06:02 PM

The problem with computer posts is that you may intend for something to be a joke, but since someone cannot see your facial expressions, hear your tone of voice, etc. The jokes fall flat and end up with you looking as an insensitive and sarcastic person. Now I'm sure you are not like that, but lately your posts are comming across that way.

Richard
Unregistered

Trying to have some different approach new
      #30920 - 03/30/02 06:25 PM

Dear Jackie,

Yes, you might be right and I appreciate very much your opinion not just about HIV, but also I can see that you are very inteligent and caring person - which is great.

I am trying to find out the approach that would somehow take an eas from people that have fear of HIV infection.

Just coming out of that (in last 4.5 monhts) I know how bad it is and I know how it can damage your health as I still have certain symptoms and pains due to enormous stress and anxiaty.

I hve tried to be nice to several posts lately and try to explain and reason them. Than I saw that it's not working. Than I tried to be "rude" blunt, accusing, undermining...

and that was not working either. Now I am trying to be sarcastic and telling something that is completely out of truth for them maybe to panic and than realise how stupit it is after they find out.

I did not beleive any of doctors that I have seen that my symptoms were nothing to do with HIV but Stress and Anxiaty. So, if I didn't beleive doctors, how others can beleive me.

In other words my task is to try to find the way how to make them realising that what they are thinking and doing is really not the right thing and it can cost them lot of nerve loss, and deterate their heatlh (not doe to HIV).

If I do come across differently - beleive me my intention is not in any other way but trying to help - and as you know I am not saying that - I am acting on that.

I did sent Gman $ 250 for his cause, and I will continue supporting not only posting, but acting in real word and help not only in Australia but other countries as well with some of my financial recaurses that I have.

And finally you are right again - I am not person like that but I really need to find out that answer, or at least be close to that answer on how to help people to stop having that fear - and also to continue helping HIV+ people.

I am putting together soon some real activities and were talking to some Fashion Guru's here in Australia on putting huge Fashion parade for young people for donation and awarness of HIV.

Sometimes I get very angry as you can imagine - and you have been long part of this forum - to people who posts five times per day question and than when they find out they are negative they dessapear - and are not interested any more to maybe help others in the same situation - and that also plays a big part in some of my posts too.

But after all, I think that it is not what I think - but more how that what I write reflects on people that read it and you are correct, and please in the future correct me again if something does not sound the right way.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: Trying to have some different approach new
      #30921 - 03/30/02 06:45 PM

I can appreciate what you are saying. The thing to remember is that you can't reach all the people all the time. You are not going to be able to ease the fear for some people. No one reacts the exactly the same. Yes you have posters that post constantly the same questions, then you have people that may post one question looking for an answer such as the one that started this thread.

This poster is representative of a large number of people that really and truly don't know what causes transmission. While it may seem a 'no brainer' to you or I, this poster was seriously worried and only asking for information. That's one of the reasons I'm here...to educate people that don't know anything about this disease. Now if this poster persisted in believing they got infected from that incident and posted a boatload of reasons on how they could be the only person in the world infected that way, I might get sarcastic in a return reply. But that is who I am.

Help people, get impatient with people, but above all else when you reply to people, be yourself. I know that sounds trite and it probably is...but it works.

J.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1512

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3