Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
une_fille
All Star

Reged: 03/28/02
Testing During Initial Symptoms/Seroconversion
      #30887 - 03/30/02 09:31 AM

I thought I read that if you have an ELISA test during initial symptoms, you are in the process of seroconverting and the anitbodies will not show up. So if I have been having symptoms since Week 2 and it is now Week 6 (the symtpoms have varied throughout the weeks, but consistently are night sweats and several swollen lymph nodes) does this mean if I get tested now the anitbodies will not show up because I have these symptoms? In other words, I know 6 weeks is not conclusive, but do I need to wait until these symptoms go away to get tested?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Testing During Initial Symptoms/Seroconversion new
      #30891 - 03/30/02 10:41 AM

If your symptoms are indeed ARS then I would think you should have at least an indeterminate result by 6 weeks. You say that your symptoms have varied throughout this period of time. ARS symptoms do not vary. They do not come in stages. They do not come and go and come back again. As far as the night sweats, lots of things can cause mild night sweats, but they type associated with ARS are drenching, bed wetting sweats. If you aren't getting up everynight and changing your sheets you don't have them. Lymph nodes can swell for a various reasons also. There have been some posters on here swearing their nodes are swelled only to have their doctors tell them they aren't.

une_fille
All Star

Reged: 03/28/02
      #30896 - 03/30/02 11:17 AM

Hi Jackie Blue,

The night sweats are indeed drenching and I have to remove my clothing in the middle of the night as they are soaked. The lymph node swelling has been consistent in the last couple of days. In the first couple weeks there was one that was swelling and then shrinking, but now it's pretty much constantly swelled. In addition, a couple of others have appeared in clusters on my neck.

A couple of other questions: I have had my blood drawn twice in the last week, one from each arm. I have never had bruising when having blood drawn, but I have a severe bruise on one arm (it swelled to a huge lump and bruised all around...still have the lump though it has shrunk a little) and a small bruise on the other arm. Does this mean that my body has weakend?

I cough a lot during the night. My throat is filled with phlem, but during the day I am fine, although I seem to have lost my voice (I've never had laryngitis before and don't know if that's what it is). Is laryngitis a symptom of ARS? I don't think it is post-nasal drip. I keep taking my temperature, but I don't seem to have a fever.

Finally, are there lymph nodes in the mouth?

Thanks for your kindness, Jackie Blue

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #30905 - 03/30/02 03:10 PM

While drenching night sweats can be a sign of ARS remember they can also be a sign of other things, Menapause, drinking too much, other virus'. Since you have had no fever with the sweats that is a good sign.

If you brusied and had a knot when you blood got taken that means the person doing it, didn't do a very good job. I've had that happen to me also on occasion, twice long before I was infected. They just hit you vein wrong, that's all.

If you are coughing at night, but not during the day when you are upright, I'd rethink the post nasal drip. Sounds like it to me. You don't have to have a runny or stuffy nose to have some post nasal drip. Laryngitis is not a sign or symptom of ARS.

There are lymph nodes all over the body. I don't know if they are in the mouth or not.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2886

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3