Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Alice
Unregistered

Results came back
      #30719 - 03/27/02 12:25 PM

Thanks Jade and everyone who has helped with their words! I got my phonecall today and the message said my lab work came back and I was fine, no need to call" I can now resume with my life. I'm still waiting for my bf to get tested and will not have sex or at least unprotected sex until he does. Through my experience I have also decided to give back. I'm going to form a team for the AIDS walk.

This is the only test I had and I trust it. I don't know which generation but I trust my gyn and if she says I'm fine, I'm fine. I also do not want to waste valuable resources as I have read that people who request cd4 counts, antigen tests, viral load counts, qualitative PCR tests for testing purposes are in fact wasting resources. Would like to insert this from the body's web page

In regard to the cost issues of taking clinically unnecessary tests:

Many people have stated that because they paid for the tests themselves, this did not affect healthcare costs. On the contrary, even if you pay for tests yourself, it ultimately DOES increase healthcare costs. This is because when tests are done unnecessarily, it costs extra money for the lab to hire and train additional staff to do those tests. In addition, it costs the lab extra money to purchase additional equipment to run those unnecessary tests. When unnecessary tests are performed, this further limits our already limited healthcare resources. In fact, it is for this reason that insurance companies will not pay for unnecessary tests. With limited money to pay for healthcare, and to prevent further healthcare rationing in the future, like it or not, we have to start looking at healthcare costs. Testing for any disease should not be done just because the patient asks for it. Testing should only be done if there is a legitimate clinical need for these tests. In fact, sometimes taking unnecessary tests can cause more problems than solutions, as discussed below.

Here is the link http://www.thebody.com/sowadsky/tests.html

If you don't trust your tests, please read this first. You wouldn't want to waste resources that others may need. And if your doctor feels no need for you to do another test, trust them. They went to medical school for a reason. If you are the only one requesting extra tests then you should look into why you are asking rather than why people are telling you not to.
Take care all and I'll check back every once in awhile to help those that were once in my situation.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
worried2002
Regular

Reged: 03/21/02
Loc: Italy
Re: Results came back new
      #30720 - 03/27/02 12:43 PM

Alice, congratulations, i'm very happy for you, hugs

-------------
Worried2002

--------------------

-------------
Worried2002

Jade G.
Unregistered

#30722 - 03/27/02 02:46 PM

Great news. Glad to hear it worked out!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30728 - 03/27/02 06:31 PM

Alice

Great news to hear you're OK.

But I think you're being a bit preachy about the cost issues of taking clinically unnecessary tests. I don't know what you've been reading about this but who cares if someone needs a test every couple of weeks or so for a critical period in their life. How do you measure the cost anyway? There is a far more important cost here than money.

I had six tests over a nine week period and OK they were all negative and I wasn't following some three month or six month mantra or whatever, but the point is I did what I needed to do to get through it, and I would hate to be in the same position now, reading posts like yours going on about the healthcare costs! When I was testing I felt terrible, worthless, useless etc etc. I was told I could test as often as I like and I could drop in and talk when I like. Now that's costly! And it was unnecessary in retrospect. And the money could have been spent elsewhere perhaps. And it just happened to be exactly what I needed and stop me doing God knows what to myself, and it allowed me to get back into the real world and carry on working and paying taxes for other people's healthcare and crises . . .

OK I know you make a point about "legitimate clinical need" and it's a good point, but MY point is that people who are driven to this Board aren't going to give a **** about "clinical need" or "healthcare costs". They should, but they won't, because they're in crisis. Witness PaulB a few weeks ago, who gave out some great, well-researched advice to others, even though he was unable to see and address the reality about his own situation at that time. He delayed testing longer than he needed to, and he came up with some totally deranged ideas about his own symptoms and what they meant, but he came through in the end, in his own time, as we all knew he would. Because that's what people need to do. And they do.

And there may be others reading, wondering whether they need to test or not. And now they've got the added burden of contributing to the overall healthcare costs of the nation or the whole world!

And my advice? Based on my own experience, get some expert advice from your nearest HIV experts wherever they are, and then based on their advice and your own feelings (taking on board their advice) test as often as you need to until you feel happy with the results, until you trust the results. If it's ELISA tests and you live in a country where this is free, then do it. The cost to the country will be minimal compared to the cost of you sitting whimpering like some useless fool. If you have to pay for your ELISA, then so be it, no cost to the country. Likewise PCR's. In fact, no cost to the country whatever way. This is crisis time, that's what the country is there for, for God's sake.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say Alice, and if people can get to medical staff with experience of HIV work then fantastic, please work with them and trust them, but also you need to go with what is comfortable for you, and what solves the problem for YOU.

With love
An old friend

Alice
Unregistered

#30733 - 03/27/02 08:01 PM

Hi, never meant to be preachy I just thought I would cut and paste something I read from this website and what other healthcare workers say on other sites. You're right about doing whats right for you and what makes you feel good. But there are people who are told continuously by "everyone" around them, that their tests are correct and taking further tests would only give the same result. They never trust the result and so then the question then seems to be one of mental health and whether the person should be dealing with an obsessive/compulsive disorder rather than a medical issue. This is just such an epidemic that I feel if people are going to spend money, rather than spend it on tests they should be spending it on seeking a mental health professional to help them deal with why they do not trust the tests. But you are right to each his own. People aren't going to listen to me anyway so I thought I would just second someone else's opinion. Did not mean to offend anyone.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30735 - 03/27/02 08:37 PM

Hi Alice

Sorry, just re-read my post and I think it sound a bit aggressive. Just to say I don't think you were being "preachy" and you haven't offended me or anyone I'm sure, I just went off on one about a pet subject!

You are quite right about the obsessive/compulsive disorder thing, there's been enough people here to back up what you say on that one.

I like your line though "People aren't going to listen to me anyway". Too right they aren't! Not because you're wrong, just because they're in crisis and when people are in crisis, their listening skills aren't exactly what they could be!

Anyway
God bless

Anonymous
Unregistered

Sometimes fear is contagious new
      #30736 - 03/27/02 08:49 PM

I just wanted to add that I think my main reason for adding that clip was because I remember when I first came on here searching for answers. I was just going to get my first test done and I kept reading posts from people who had minimal risks that were doing repeat testing and I kept thinking to myself "wow, should I be more concerned? Should I do other tests? If they are they freaking out about that, then I should be freaking out ten times more." I keep thinking all these discussions about different tests creates afear in us that may not have existed before.

You're right though. This forum serves a purpose..to educate, alleviate and enlighten and sometimes that takes longer for some than others and that is okay. It also depends what kind of medical advice or help is available to you. I have had many people close to me both affected by HIV and AIDS and I know those who have done repeat testing because their exposures were high risk. So I do believe if you have had high risk exposures (as listed on any educational website) you should by all means do repeat testing for your sanity but if you have had a low risk exposure, there is a time when one should try to go on with their life. What do you think? Is there a line to be drawn? Perhaps not on this forum. But those close to me who have had high risk exposures were not able to afford repeat testing with their own money and did rely on state funds. I'm afraid with Bush as our prez those funds may someday be depleted.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1268

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3