Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Richard-dont give false info about Home Access!
      #30592 - 03/25/02 03:36 PM

Please do not state that Home Access does not pick up HIV-2 and subtypes and that the window period is extended- it isn't true! Window for Home Access is the same as all windows- it is the same test used by MOST labs in the United States. See posts from last week by a Home Access counselor. It includes this statement: "WE PREFER THE 1st GENERATION ELISA B/C IT IS LESS SPECIFIC AND CAN PICK UP MOST OF HIV-2 INFECTED PERSONS AND ABNORMAL SUBTYPES IN HIV-1 SAMPLES."

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Richard
Unregistered

Sorry if anything wrong new
      #30594 - 03/25/02 03:46 PM

I wasn't trying to be dificult. I stated that we don't have Home Access in Australia, and therefore I don't know much about it. If I posted something somwehere it should be corrected if I am not right.

We can't be right all the time and most of the time we just express our opinion - we are not experts.

Once more in speaking to some lab experts from cerelogy department in Australia - I found that Elisa 3rd Generation is obviously better than 1st. That 3rd Generation is tuned to read all subtypes - but first generation is probably also as good, as those subtypes are EXTREMELY RARE.

Australian experts also say to that extend that when they used 1st Generation they had extended window period. If US experts think differently and you are inclined tobeleive them than I accept that - they probably have more experience and knowledge with Home Access than Australians.

I also think that Home Access home page suggest testing at 6 months (which we all do anyway).

It is all just my non-expertise thoughts.

Jade G.
Unregistered

Re: Sorry if anything wrong new
      #30597 - 03/25/02 04:04 PM

Richard-
I have read posts from the Home Access counselor and that person stated that the hOme Access lab said that 1st gen. is very reliable at 3 months. Ryan Kull, on this website, answered a question on March 11, 2002 about 1st gen tests. See below--
QUESTION-
"This is a simple yes or no answer! I know that you get 50 million questions a day, so I hope that you will be able to get to mine. You get asked these window period questions alot, I know. Is it correct to assume that even 1st generation ELISAs are accurate after 3 months, and unless you have had a DEFINITE HIV exposure, further testing is not necessary?"
ANSWER--
"yes"
Home_Access and Anon (who iniated this discussion thread) please comment.

Richard
Unregistered

#30599 - 03/25/02 04:14 PM

On the 20th of March Home_Access (that appears to be a person working at Home Access) has posted the following:

Hi, my name is Joyce, I am a counselor with Home Access Health and being scared is very normal for anyone who might have put herself at risk for HIV-1. I understand what you mean by feeling some doubt about not trusting a person, many other clients have dealt with the same issues and like you have learned from it. As a previous client, feel free to call me at Home Access if you need to talk about this or have questions concerning the test at 1-800-HIV-TEST..

I was happy to read that your test was negative after 3 months. However, we recommend that you take another test in 3 months (six months after your exposure to risk). Of course, if you want to test before then for peace of mind you can do so, but you still need a final test six months after exposure to insure that you have tested at the end of the window period. Also, we now can provide a hard copy of your result by e-mail or self-addressed envelope to show your new partner or have him take the test and show you.

Home Access’s test system includes not only testing, but also pre and post-test counseling to help you through the entire test process. Please call me if you need to talk or have questions concerning the testing process.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30601 - 03/25/02 04:55 PM

Richard, are you trying to disput what JadeG posted? Didn't you read Ryan Kull's answer about 1st generation tests? BTW,the CDC reccommends 6 month follow-up testing, so THAT is where Home Access gets their guidelines. The time period it takes 1st generattion tests to catch up with 3rd egn. tests is only about a week, give or take. Most people on this board were tested in the US and most likely by 1st generation tests. even jamieLEE went to a quest lab and got the 1st generation test. are you trying to disput the experts on this website and others and freak everyone out here who had a 1st generation test? I don't know about where you are from, but hiv-2 is very rare in the us, so rare that most clinics do not test for it. cdc does not even reccommend an hiv-2 test for US people who do not have west african sex partners. this was posted by Home_Access on 3/21/02
Hi:
Just wanted to respond to your questions concerning the differences between the 1st and 3rd generation Elisa Tests.
1. The Home Access test is a 1st generation ELISA.
2. The difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation
ELISA’s is the sensitivity. 3rd generation is more
sensitive than 1st generation.
3. So, yes, 3rd generation can pick up the antibodies
earlier than a 1st generation test. However 3rd
generation picks the antibodies up only 5-10 days
earlier (Constantine N. et al. 1994, AIDS,
8:1715-1720) than the 1st generation during
seroconversion (the period when the HIV-1 infected
person is changing from antibody-negative to
antibody-positive). However, if a sample is reactive
on either the 1st generation OR the 3rd generation
ELISA, it will still need to be tested by a
confirmatory test. Confirmatory tests are less
sensitive than ELISA; detecting a positive result
after an average of 40-50 days. Thus, it doesn’t
matter which generation of ELISA is used. You are
still going to get the same result, at the same time,
if your sample is reactive.
4. No, most clinics do not use 3rd generation ELISA’s
because they are more expensive. So, you will receive
the same result with a clinic as you would with the
Home Access test. 3rd generation ELISA’s are run at
the blood banks for testing the national blood supply.
They are not usually run on individual samples.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30603 - 03/25/02 05:02 PM

From Jackie_Blue on 3/19-
Experts have stated that 3 months for a home access is conclusive even if it is 1st gen. For that matter 3 months or more is conclusive, no matter what ELISA you take. the only time a person may want to test at 6 months is if they were with an HIV+ person (not that they THINK the person MIGHT be +) and the provider thinks there is a reason to test at 6 months.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30604 - 03/25/02 05:04 PM

see above posts and get a clue, Richard.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30606 - 03/25/02 05:15 PM

Richard: please pay attention to experts like Mr. Kull who say that first generation testing is as good as third at three months or more. I agree with a previous poster, who said that in the United States, HIV-2 is so rare that most clinics simply do the HIV-1 first generation tests and that the Centers for Disease Control do not even recommend HIV-2 testing for persons who are not from West African countries or do not have sex partners from there or with exposures in thoses countries. Most importantly, do not "play expert" and discount the HIV tests that most people on this board have taken. You will send everyone into a panic- for no reason at all. If you want to maintain that 1st generation tests aren't good until 6 months, that means that your 4 month test isn't good either, since third generation tests only pick up antibodies 5-10 days sooner than first generation. So, you need a 25 week test, whereas people who took a first generation need a 26 week test.

Richard
Unregistered

SEE THE POINT new
      #30609 - 03/25/02 05:32 PM

I can see your point and if experts do agree on that so it should be that way.

I said at the begining and am saying one more time.

I live in Australia - we don't have Home tests here so my comments were not to be taken in any serious level.

Surely people from The Body including Ryan - knows 10.000 times more than me and you should trust him or others. So, I don't see any problem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Wrong Richard. new
      #30622 - 03/25/02 08:32 PM

I found a recent report where they used current 3rd generation Elisas in Africa, they wanted to determine if the window period was shortened for all subtypes. For Subtype-B the window period decreased a lot but not for other subtypes. In fact the 3rd generation is tuned specifically for Subtype-B. The 4th generation is supposed to fix this problem and be more sensitive to all subtypes, including type O. Stop throwing out info if you have no studies or data to back it up.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2566

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3