Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Waiting on results...Need calming!!
      #30532 - 03/24/02 11:31 PM

I just had to get an HIV test for insurance purposes at my job.
A little history:
I've been with my wife for 11 1/2 yrs (married 7 yrs.) and I know she was negative before we wed. Both faithful through the entire time. My only concern is with a girl I was with about 12 yrs. ago. I never made it a habit of "sleeping around" in my life. I was good friends with this girl and sort of "one thing led to another." Well, the girl moved to another state and I kept in contact with her for a couple of years. I know she got married and divorsed, then married again and along the way she had a couple of kids...She gave me warts and I got them taken care of. I don't know where she is now.
Anyway, this is my first hiv test and I'm losing sleep over waiting on the results. Like I said, it's been about 12 yrs and I feel fine, never had complications and Only get one cold a year tops. Does the hiv virus gradually effect your immune system, or does it happen all at once...
I just don't understand. I'm just losing sleep and my wife is ready to kill me about my obsessing.
I've tried finding similar situations on the web-boards before my posting...
Any support would be appreciated.
Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
worried2002.
Unregistered

Re: Waiting on results...Need calming!! new
      #30545 - 03/25/02 04:33 AM

Well, after 12 years you are either uninfected or a long term non progressor (that's quite rare!), i wouldn't worry much, you are most likely negative. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Jackie_Blue
Veteran

Reged: 10/26/00
      #30551 - 03/25/02 07:22 AM

Your history doesn't sound like it puts you at risk. If this HIV test never came up I doubt if you would have given it a second thought. I'm sure that almost everyone faced with this type of situation could find some cause in their history to be concerned about.

12 years is a long time to be infected and not on any medications. If you had been infected that long for the last couple of years you would be having some medical problems that would have caused your doctor to question your status.

Just look at this test for what it is. Routine for insurance. I'm sure it will be negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30610 - 03/25/02 05:36 PM

Thanks for the quick response...
I'm just scared I put my wife in danger. I guess I think about this because for all the things I read about other peoples stories, then I read one article about "even after 15 yrs. with no symptoms, it's not uncommon to be positive".
The way it's worded is kind of confusing. I still would like to know how hiv effects the system, does the virus take over where it's harder and harder to kick the common cold or other common ailment? Or, does it hit all at once after a certain amount of time?
Anyway...thanks again. Your words help me sleep.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1038

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3