Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Difference between 1st generation and 3rd
      #30383 - 03/22/02 12:38 PM

I found this on THIS website:

About Home Access and first generation testing have confidence in it-

"We do use the first generation ELISA, which uses viral lyzates as antigen. The difference with the third generation ELISA is that the latter uses recombinant proteins as antigens. Because of the fact that recombinant proteins are purer than viral lyzates, it's possible to amplify the reaction with antibodies to HIV-1 more.

Two considerations. 1)BY 3 MONTHS, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 1st and 3rd GENERATION EIA. 2)EVEN THE EARLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 1st and 3rd GENERATION IS ELIMINATED BY CONFIRMATORY TESTING. We can safely tell that accuracy in 3 months is close to 100 or at least more than 99.

To the first point. The third generation EIAs detect antibodies 5-10 days earlier than the first generation during seroconversion, the period when the HIV-1 infected person is turning from antibody-negative to antibody-positive. It means that after HIV-1 exposure, on average, in a week half of individuals become reactive with EIA, if tested with 3rd generation EIA. 1st generation will pick up these infected individuals in two weeks. As practically all individuals turn reactive after 2 months, in 3 months, there is no difference between different EIA generations.

To the second point. The EIA reactive samples should be confirmed by Western Blot or IFA (as in our system). Western Blot and IFA turned indeterminate at the time when 1st generation EIA becomes reactive, in around 14 days. Western Blot and IFA become positive after 40-50 days, on average. Hence, the infected individuals tested reactive with the third generation BEFORE 1st generation can pick them up, will test negative with confirmatory test. Algorithms using third and first generation EIA, but the same confirmatory testing, will return THE SAME results.

The difference in the third and the first generation matters ONLY during blood testing of donors as blood is rejected if only EIA is reactive.

*WE PREFER THE 1st GENERATION ELISA B/C IT IS LESS SPECIFIC AND CAN PICK UP MOST OF HIV-2 INFECTED PERSONS AND ABNORMAL SUBTYPES IN HIV-1 SAMPLES.*"

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jade G.
Unregistered

Re: Difference between 1st generation and 3rd new
      #30385 - 03/22/02 12:55 PM

This is really good info- where did you find it on this website?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30386 - 03/22/02 12:58 PM

sorry bout that- got it at http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Archive/TestingHIV/Q47412.html

Bottom Line
Unregistered

#30394 - 03/22/02 01:27 PM

All good information. People need to remember that whetehr they do 1st or third generation, they need to wait three months to get tested to be sure. If they have had actual exposure to definite HIV+, then they should do six months.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5004

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3