Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tested too late
      #30221 - 03/20/02 01:06 PM

Would a person still have antibodies if they didn't get tested until a few years after getting infected with HIV.
If you have aids will you still test positive on elisa test? I know there are alot of people who get diagnosed with aids and didn't know they had it. Did they test positive with a normal elisa test. I tested negative 2x but still feel I have hiv/aids. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bottom line
Unregistered

Re: Tested too late new
      #30222 - 03/20/02 01:13 PM

End stage of disease so people dont have any antibody production left, but by then you would have been hospitalized enough to know something was wrong.

HIV eliminates the body's ability to fight off disease that it would normally kick butt on. So, unless very ill highly doubtful.

If had possible exposure via the 3 ways recognized for tranmitting virus, get tested at 3 months, 6 if known HIV exposure or would make feel comfortable and move on! Enjoy life.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Tested too late new
      #30235 - 03/20/02 02:32 PM

In very rare cases someone shows up at the hospital very ill, probably has an Opportunistic Infection, the patient doesn't know their status. The doctor's test with an antibody test. It comes back negative. If a person is as sick as this person would be, doctors would not leave it at that. They could do a viral load (PCR RNA), PCR DNA, CD4 count, etc. This would tell them what they need to know.

Unless you are this ill, you are making antibodies for all sorts of things and should believe a negative test.

Yes, most people who find out that they are not only HIV+, but have Advance HIV Disease tested with the ELISA, just like you did. It's not that often people totally stop producing antibodies.

Since you are asking about years, not months. I'm assuming both your tests were after the 3 month window. Congrats! You're negative! Go out and celebrate! Life is such a gift, go ENJOY it!!!!!

J.

moosecat
Unregistered

Re: Tested too late-reply to Jackie new
      #30244 - 03/20/02 03:31 PM

I'm all new to this. From what you wrote, many folks don't know they're positive 'til they have AIDS. At this point, can they still respond to treatment or is it too late?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Tested too late**To Jackie**??WHAT?? new
      #30263 - 03/20/02 06:46 PM

Jackie,
How can one have HIV sooo long to have an OI and yet be HIV antibody negative via ELISA, especially soooooo long beyond the window period? Something does not sound consistant here and appears oxymoron to everything I have read and was told, including your statements??? Please clarify...

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#30277 - 03/20/02 08:51 PM

You are not looking at the mechanics behind the disease.

The HIV virus does not kill a person directly. What it does is destroy the immune system to the point it can't fight off diseases that it could normally fight off. The body gets to the point that it can't recognize an infection and does nothing to fight it. In those cases where this happens a person could test negative on an antibody test, but if the immune system was that far gone, there would be other tests done to confirm that the person is indeed positive.

Conversely when someone that is this ill responds to treatment and the immune systems starts to function again, they can have what's called Immune Reconsitution Syndrome (or something like that). Anyway, the body starts to recognize infections that are in the body and will start to fight them. A person can go through a time when it seems one thing after another goes wrong. I saw this happen with my husband. As the treatment started working, he suddenly had to deal with rashs, CMV, Cat Scratch Fever, had to have a lymph node removed, it swelled to the size of a golf bowl. As his immune system got better so did his ability to fight off these type of things.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: Tested too late-reply to Jackie new
      #30279 - 03/20/02 09:01 PM

I think you might have misunderstood what I said. I don't know what percent of people have Advance HIV when they test. What I do know is that out of this group most of these people will test positve with the ELISA.

What I was trying to point out is that the ELISA is accurate even when someone's immune system has declined to the point that they are classified as having AIDS, however in rare cases someone might have progressed to the point where the immune system has pretty much shut down and could test negative on an antibody test. It is not often however someone could go that long and not know.

In answer to your question, as far as I'm concerned it's never to late to start treatment and respond to it.

Yes, most people who find out that they are not only HIV+, but have Advance HIV Disease tested with the ELISA, just like you did. It's not that often people totally stop producing antibodies.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30337 - 03/21/02 10:09 PM

Thanks Jackie, much appreciated!!! Just windering regarding your husbang and the golf ball size node...where was the location of the node? Thanks and wish the best!

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#30343 - 03/21/02 10:57 PM

Right below the elbow

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2416

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3