Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Christopher
Unregistered

helpful pcr facts needed please
      #30112 - 03/19/02 12:17 PM

After reading different views posted here on pcr facts, I just had a 30 pcr test negative, after many symptoms that could be related to infection, this negative result is a very good sign right? Can someone with knowledgeable information respond to this question for i desperatelyam in need of some good information. What is the accuracy of the test at 30 days, and is it a strong indicator that HIV was not the cause of my illnesses? Or can co-infection with say like Hep or Mono etc., not produce the HIV virus or make it undectable in DNA at 30 days? Please respond for I had a negative NOT _ DETECTED result at 30 days and am wanting to find the good in this if any, thanks so very much for replies they are greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JamieLEE
Unregistered

Re: helpful pcr facts needed please new
      #30114 - 03/19/02 12:24 PM

Your test that you took is 95% effective at 28 days. You are more than likely fine...what was your exposure?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30120 - 03/19/02 12:45 PM

It's definitely a good sign. However in order to be 99.99999% you need an ELISA at 3 or 6 months depending on what you feel comfortable with.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30127 - 03/19/02 01:22 PM

I agree- all the experts say that PCRs can not be used to diagnose or rule out HIV. You still need the 3 month ELISA to be sure.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #30136 - 03/19/02 01:45 PM

OK Christopher what's up? There has to be some reason why you keep asking the same question. What exactly is it that you want to know. Obviously we are misinterpreting your question and not giving you the information you really want to know.

I see you are getting the same answers. Yes, a negative at 30 days is a very good sign, but you need to test with an ELISA after the window (3 months). Of course I don't know your risk, and I never ask what a persons risk was before answering, but if it was a low/non risk, then you probably could put more weight behind a negative PCR.

Why do you keep asking the same question? It's a good sign. Nothing more. If you don't believe it's a good sign, then you have just wasted a boat load of money, next time just send the money to me, Spring is here and I've got a whole bunch of plants to buy :)

J.

Christopher
Unregistered

Re: helpful pcr facts needed please Jakieoranyone new
      #30142 - 03/19/02 02:29 PM

My exposure was unprotected sex with a female and performed oral sex on her also. Got an ulcer in mouth the next day and sweat like rash on forehead 5 days later, then had flu-like illness 114 days afterwards with chills but no fever and body was flushed colored. Sore throat at about 3 weeks after, and LOTS of muscle fatigue that is still here. But tested neg on PCR at 20 and 30 days after exposure. Could all these symptoms be another STD?

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: helpful pcr facts needed please Jakieoranyone new
      #30146 - 03/19/02 02:47 PM

Christopher!

Well now you know what I mean about not following the guidelines. Here you are with a negative PCR 20 and 30 days after exposure but now at LEAST (according to my math and your figures) 135 days after exposure still questioning.

Did you ever take an antibody test?

114 days after exposure is too long for it to be ARS, anyway how can you say it was a flu like illness when you didn't even have a fever. Chills without a fever point to stress or depression. 21 days after that (which was 135 days after exposure) you had a sore throat. Big deal. People get sore throats all the time.

Neither the canker sores the next day or the rash at 5 days points to anything conclusive. The odds of tranmission from a one time unprotected exposure with a woman is something like 1 in 500. That's with a woman who is actually HIV+. Now do you know for a fact she is? Even if she is, why have you not tested after the 3 month window period. Seems to me you are obessing over this for no reason. Your PCR's are good news, but for heavens sake get the antibody test, obviously the negative PCR are not easing your mind, get your negative result and put this behind you.

J.

Christopher
Unregistered

Help Jackie typo earlier!! new
      #30148 - 03/19/02 03:07 PM

Sorry for the typo it was 14 days after not 114! for to date it has been 38 days after exposure can you help with an answer Jackie?

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: Help Jackie typo earlier!! new
      #30164 - 03/19/02 04:59 PM

Well I guess it makes a difference. The difference is that you still have 52 days before you can have a conclusive antibody test. Well actually you can have one anytime before, but it's that 3 month mark you are looking for.

Once again, I will tell you the same thing I have told you about 3 times before. Those PCR test results are GREAT news! The odds are that you will test negative when you take your 3 month antibody test. BUT, remember Quest is in business to make money. The experts that say nothing is conclusive until 3 months are giving their time freely.

You need to stop trying to figure out every nuance of what has and is happening to you. It will only drive you crazy. You should be happy with the results that you have. They should be giving you some peace of mind. Let them.

J.

Christopher
Unregistered

Jackie your great read and reply please new
      #30166 - 03/19/02 05:31 PM

I am trying to gain comfort in a negative pcr test at 30 days for they said that if virus was causing my symptoms id be replicating at a high rate. I also tested antibody negative at 30 days too, I guess i have to ride out the wait until three months but might have an antibody test at around 8 weeks to get another idea. I just have a hard time understanding why im so fatigued still at 38 days after possible exposure. I went so far as to have the girl take a test for me and she tested neg but i am so caught up in the fact that my body changed after contact with her that i dont know if she took it herself or had someone else take it for her, crazy thought huh? I just know that as soon as i had contact with her the ulcer in my mouth and everything else that has happened, I hope that it is another cause, i guess thats why i took the pcr dna b/c from the info i have its not diagnostic but a good indicator if the virus is the underlying cause of my illness. I just don't understand all the muscle fatigue to date. Please reply with your thoughts on if it could be something else or what is going on for i know your not a doctor but you seem to have a vast array of knowledge that is so greatly appreciated, thank you for responding again, i look forward to your response!!

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Re: Jackie your great read and reply please new
      #30171 - 03/19/02 08:05 PM

Christopher,

Let's start with the canker sore. I've had them since I was a kid, which was long before I became infected. I always thought they were heredity. Someone on this board told me they were due to the herpes virus. See even I keep learning things :) Anyway, that makes a lot of sense. Think of all the different strains of the herpes virus. They are the cause of cold sores, canker sores, of course, genital herpes, Chicken Pox and Shingles, etc. Herpes is pretty easy to catch. So you see, your canker sore for one thing happened way to soon after your exposure and canker sores don't even have anything to do with HIV.

I don't have any problem understanding why you are so fatigued. It doesn't take much stress to throw the body out of sorts. And the longer a person is under stress the worse it gets, kinda like the Chinese Water Torture. Now, I imagine you haven't been under SLIGHT stress, you have been under prolonged EXTREME stress. No wonder your tired. I tend to get that way also when I worry. Also I tend to quit eating which makes my fatigue even worse. (no fuel for the body).

As I have said before, the fact you tested negative on the PCR is great news! The fact you tested negative on an ELISA just adds to the great news! The fact she tested negative is great news. However, I do need to point out you can't depend on another's negative result (she might be in a window also, sorry don't mean to freak you out). That being said, I feel the odds are she is not infected anyway.

All in all while you need to take that last test in 3 months, I really think it will be a confirmation of what your other tests have shown. You have so many things going in your favor. Negative PCR, Negative ELISA, She tested negative and we all know you can't get HIV from someone who doesn't have it. The odds of infection from one exposure are about 1 in 500. You're negative. I know it's hard, but try to relax some. You might want to see a doctor about some anti-anxiety medication until you get your 3 month test.

You'll be just fine. Hang in there.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#30282 - 03/20/02 10:15 PM

I took a PCR at 35 days and was negative. The testing service insisted that was the last test I would need to take as the rusults were conclusive. This was the service referred by the Aids Action hotline of Massachusetts, so I assume they know what they are doing. I also experienced ARS like symptoms (fever, rash, fatique) at 14 days. The lab said if those symtoms were due to HIV, than the 35 day test would have been positve.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2347

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3