Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Mick
Unregistered

HIV-1, HIV-2, and Home Access
      #29936 - 03/15/02 03:30 PM

Hi, I have been reading posts for a few days and there seems to be alot of knowledgable people on this board. Does anyone here know if HIV-2 is common in the United States? And, if you are infected with HIV-2 and not HIV-1, would your Home Access test be positive? I am asking because I had several (approx. 5) incidents of unprotected vaginal and oral intercourse last year between May 2001 and mid October 2001 (with the same partner). Anyway, we broke up and I am now wondering about HIV, because like morons, we never discussed it. I was cheated on and that's why we broke up. I took a Home Access test about 4 and a half months after we broke up (I haven't had any other partners since). This would be good except I saw something that said that someone could have an HIV-2 infection and HIV-1 test could be negative. Should I go and get an HIV-2 test? If yes, where do you get them? I think that the test at ehiv.com is HIV-1 like Home Access and I do not want to go to my doctor for this. I thinbk this is important because I do not want to start a new relationship not knowing my HIV status- or theirs this time.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: HIV-1, HIV-2, and Home Access new
      #29948 - 03/15/02 05:24 PM

Hello. The quest diagnostics offers hiv 1 and hiv 2 testing. You can get either one seperate or combine the tests. Last year I got the combo(hiv 1 and 2) for $189.00. I believe that home access states it is for hiv-1 but it possibly can pick up 42% for the hiv2 test. Hiv2 isn't supposed to be that prevalent in the US. The best thing is to test. For me the hard part is believing the results of being negative from antibody testing. Well GOD Bless and be safe.

Home_Access
Unregistered

Re: HIV-1, HIV-2, and Home Access new
      #30060 - 03/18/02 01:32 PM

I am a counselor with Home Access Health Corporation and wanted to respond to your question regarding the accuracy of our Home Access HIV-1 test kit.

As far as HIV-1 is concerned the clinical accuracy of the Home Access HIV-1 test is always 99.9%. However, it takes some time between the exposure to HIV and when the antibody becomes detectable in the body. This period is what we call the “window period”. At Home Access Health we recommend that the soonest you should take an HIV-1 test is 6 weeks after exposure to risk and then be sure to test again six months or more after the date of exposure. This policy is based on our experience with over 300,000 HIV tests performed to date and the Centers for Disease Control (www.cdc.gov) Revised Guidelines for HIV Counseling, Testing and Referral Standards November 9,2001.

As to your question about HIV-2 it is not common in the United States, only in West Africa. (see FDA website at http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/NEW00059.html)

Any questions regarding our test can be addressed by calling us at 1-800-HIV-TEST or through our web site at (www.homeaccess.com. or www.fda.gov/cber/infosheets/hiv-home.htm).

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1751

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3