Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Richard
Unregistered

ONE MORE TIME WINDOW PERIOD
      #29173 - 03/02/02 05:40 PM

Personally I will test at 6 months (after my 3 months negative Elisa).
I am extremely puzzled with following. The following claim 3 months as conclusive.

New York Stete Department for Health
I rang Aids hotline and STD hotline in Australia they told me 3 months, and everybody here is confirming.
The whole Europe and UK say 3 months.

And what do you make of this question and answer by Dr. Gallant:

Q: dear doctor i know your very busy,but please answer this important question,in europe or uk,the window period is just one test at three months,why the difference between countries,surely
there is only one correct way to test

A: I suppose that in some countries they're happy with 99.9% certainty, while in others they want 99.999%. (I'm making those numbers up, but they're probably not far off.) In other words, it's more of an administrative decision than a medical one

IT IS MORE ADMINISTARTIVE DECISION THAN A MEDICAL ONE.

Link is here if you want to confirm it for yourself:

http://hopkins-aids.com/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&id=48196&category_id=0

Another question in Clinical forum by Dr. Gallant:

A: An ELISA is highly reliable at six weeks. The reason we continue
: testing for 3 to 6 months (depending on where you live) is
: because "highly reliable" is not enough. A negative test at 6
: weeks is very reassuring, but we continue testing because we
: want to rule out HIV infection with something approaching 100%
: certainty

Q: Dr. You state that we test for 3 to 6 months "depending on where you live." I'm curious as to what difference geographic location makes. Is this purely a bureaucratic decision or is something else, such as concern over technological inferiority, at play?

A: It's a bureaucratic decision, not a medical or technological one. It comes down to a question of whether you can be happy with 99.99% certainty or insist on 99.999% (I'm making those numbers up, but they're in the ballpark) and how much you're willing to pay for that extra "9."

Note again IT IS BUREAUCRATIC DECISSION.

http://hopkins-aids.com/forum/view_question.html?section_id=62&id=48348&category_id=402

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ONE MORE TIME WINDOW PERIOD new
      #29175 - 03/02/02 05:48 PM

It's what each individual feels comfortable with. (As long as one has at least tested negative at 3 months.) Obviously you are not comfortable with your test at 3 months and have already stated you are testing again at 6 months. Thus you have a 6 month window period. Personally I think most people visiting this site will test at 3 and 6 months simply because they are the worried-well. Who else scours the internet or posts to an online forum on a weekend looking for information on the window period? Thus there really is no debate. As long 3 months has passed do whatever you need to do in order to move on with your life. Let's just hope you will believe your negative result at 6 months Richard.

Richard
Unregistered

#29176 - 03/02/02 06:00 PM

I would definitely beleive 6 months result.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#29186 - 03/02/02 08:31 PM

Then you have your answer. You have tested negative via ELISA and PCR. You odds of being infected are theoretical at best...you are negative and your test at 6 months will tell you so. Just hang in there...I know how you feel for I was once there as well. I'm almost at my 6 month mark.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1553

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3