Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rash
      #28737 - 02/24/02 07:06 PM

I have a minor rash on my hands, arms and the bottom of my feet. There are very little red spots and the area feels very dry and a little hardened. The rash itches slightly.

I had unprotected vaginal sex six months ago (for about 30 seconds, then I realized what I was doing and stopped), tested negative after 6 weeks and haven't gotten re-tested yet. I was starting to feel ok about the situation until last week. My girlfriend and I both came down with a rash and then the worries/sleepless nights started all over again. I am dying of the thought I could have possibly infected her.

After hearing the 1/500 probability thing and testing negative after 6 weeks, I started to move on. I will get tested again this week.

Anyway, is it possible that this rash is an opportunistic infection?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Veteran

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Rash new
      #28745 - 02/24/02 07:46 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say a rash is an OI, but I will say people with HIV itch, no doubt about it. My husband and I seem to battle it on and off. I guess I started to be bothered by it after about 3 years of being infected. One thing I have noticed is that we hardly ever itch at the same time, and we always seem to be battling something different from the other.

So to answer you honestly, yes a rash could be associated with HIV. HOWEVER given your exposure and the fact hundreds of things can cause rashes from allergies to fungus, I think the odds of this being HIV related in your case is low.

Do get another test, you should always have a test at least 12 weeks after exposure. Before that it isn't really conclusive. A negative at 6 weeks is great, but do test and put this behind you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rash - to Jackie_Blue new
      #28750 - 02/24/02 09:11 PM

Sorry, Jackie, when you say people with HIV itch, do you mean that a rash usually accompany the itching? Is itching frequent when there is no obvious rash?

Jackie_Blue
Veteran

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Rash - to Jackie_Blue new
      #28762 - 02/24/02 10:57 PM

I mean sometimes it's like dry skin, sometimes it's a rash that doesn't itch and disappears quickly, sometimes it's like a bunch of bits. Sometimes it itches so bad, you'd swear they were chigger bites.

But you see HIV - population has those problems also, so you can never say a rash is a definite sign.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1615

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3