Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

guilt, stress, other viruses etc.
      #28578 - 02/20/02 06:18 PM

The people who come to this board usually have had a sexual experience that is causing them guilt. Sexual guilt will usually affect the sex drive, so there is less interest in sex for awhile. This can throw your hormone balance off, which might contribute to some symptoms such as night sweats. Luckily, this usually returns to normal after a while.

Naturally, anyone worried about hiv infection will be under a lot of stress. Stress has been shown to affect the immune system adversely. People under a lot of stress will not get proper rest, and may not eat right. This can make you vulnerable to things like flu bugs going around, because your immune system is already weak from all the stress. The symptoms are real, obviously. Psychologically, too much stress can also make you imagine symptoms that aren't even real.

There are so many strains of different viruses out there that it is hard to keep up with all of their names. Not just HIV, but the flu, cold, mono, herpes, etc. can all make you feel sick when you are first exposed to them. It is no wonder that people may feel ill a few weeks after sexual contact, since that makes it easier for the viruses to be transmitted. Luckily, there are many more "harmless" viruses than "harmful" ones like HIV.

Remember the HTLV virus that Gallo et. al. found before discovering HIV? Well that one is supposed to cause leukemia after about 50 years. Maybe you got that instead of HIV, and you'll probably be 6 ft. under before it has a chance to harm you. Or maybe you were so stressed out that you absent mindedly ate some old leftover fish that wasn't good anymore. Next thing you know, you have all the "symptoms" of HIV.

So I guess what I'm saying is, be glad there is a reliable test for HIV. Otherwise, you'd never know what what going on, and you'd probably worry yourswelf to an early grave. Get tested outside the window period, and you will finally get this behind you. "This too shall pass," as they say. And now that you know all this, you must realize how important it is to use protection for sex. But don't get a false sense of security from condoms, because they can break, and there are other STD's that can be passed even with proper use of a condom. Learn about all STD's not just HUV. Check the expiration dates on the condoms, and use them properly. But it is still best to avoid sex with anyone of unknown status.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nice spelling
Unregistered

Re: guilt, stress, other viruses etc. new
      #28582 - 02/20/02 10:44 PM

Nice spelling. LOL! what's huv anywayz? ROFL!

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #28586 - 02/21/02 05:54 AM

The poster had valid points. What's wrong? Did it ring a little too true for you?

OBSESSING!!
Unregistered

#28591 - 02/21/02 09:48 AM

Many good points-thank you.

I wish I could get over my fear of getting a test.

PaulB
Unregistered

#28594 - 02/21/02 11:01 AM

Obsessing, u r in my prayers! ;)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2146

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3