Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Concerned about possible transmission
      #28258 - 02/13/02 03:27 PM

This may seem like a stupid question...but it is not to me.

Last night, after returning home from a local sporting event, I noticed on my left ring finger that there was some dried blood (not a lot,just a little bit.) After wiping it off with a damp towel, I noticed a cut just below the 2nd knuckle quite like the ones you get from a paper cut. I remember at some point in the evening (but not sure when) that I accidently scratched myself with a long fingernail. The thing is, after the game was over, I went onto the field and shook hands and slapped hands with many of the players. Then when I got home, I noticed the dried blood on my finger. Since I am not sure when I scratched myself or even remember if I even did scratch myself, do I have any worry as far as HIV goes? This may be stretching things a bit, or maybe not. But when I noticed the blood and not sure how it got there, I became anxious about the possibility of HIV.

My questions are:
1. Had I cut myself just before going onto the field, and if anyone did have HIV, could I be at risk for HIV?

2. If one of the players had HIV, and if they had cut me while shaking hands or slapping hands, could they have transmitted HIV to me?

I would appreciate any and all responses, as I am anxious and nervous about this incident.

Thank you

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Concerned about possible transmission new
      #28260 - 02/13/02 03:30 PM

Youre fine - absolutely no medical reason to test. But, if you need peace of mind, go for it.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Concerned about possible transmission new
      #28262 - 02/13/02 03:35 PM

Okay...Here are the two big questions--Has anyone EVER been infected through casual contact (handshaking, etc)? NOPE

What are the chances you will be the first---0% It doesn't happen.

Unless you had a gaping wound that was withdrawaling blood at a large rate (not a simple paper cut which usually doesn't even bleed--thus, no direct contact to the bloodstream) and then mixed in HIV infected blood DIRECTLY in the gaping wound would you have a concern. You shouldn't even be tested...Hope that helps

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 992

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3