Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Oh no, not again
Unregistered

Do not give blood as an hiv "test"!
      #28138 - 02/11/02 10:33 PM

http://www.thebody.com/cdc/news_updates/update.html#03

The above link describes a recent case where someone was hiv+ and they donated blood. This resulted in infecting an innocent person through a blood transfusion. Please do not donate blood as a devious way of getting tested for HIV. The screening tests are not fool-proof, and it is wrong to misuse the blood supply this way. Also, do not lie on your risk questionaire when they ask you about your risks prior to donating.

The only acceptable way to test for hiv is to get an FDA approved test at a clinic, or doctor's office, or the Home Access sample collection kit. All of you who are saying how worried you are, but have never been tested, need to get tested in one of these acceptable ways. Do not even think about trying the blood supply method, it is not an option. Do the right thing!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PaulB
Unregistered

Re: Do not give blood as an hiv "test"! new
      #28141 - 02/12/02 02:37 AM

Thanks for the warning!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#28143 - 02/12/02 03:07 AM

Unless you have not had an exposure within the last six months and have tested negative at six or > since your last possible exposure...

Richard
Unregistered

#28146 - 02/12/02 06:03 AM

Unfortunately there will be always some angry people out there they have made mistake - and than want to infect other people.

This is not the first time that I have read about something like this (not just blood supply). Have a look Hopkins site and the same thing I think was reported there, and also in recent question about Father complaining about his son who is HIV and insisted in making unprotecting sex with someone and infected other person as well...

Those stories will appear all the time - some being true, some being something else.

I know it is wrong to give blood under any sucpisuos curcamstences, but also sometimes I intend not to beleive all those storries - we all know for window period, but blood screaning is different thing all together nad the window period in blood screaning is very short, much shorter and the testing is much more serious than routine one done in general. So, this storry might not be exactly as such, I am not saying it is - but how often do you hear about it.

I read on one post someone was suggesting to donate blood as a means of testing. So, stupid.

Oh no
Unregistered

#28190 - 02/12/02 06:22 PM

Yes it is terrible that some people deliberately try to infect others. In this case, it might have been that the guy had unsafe sex, and went out right away to give blood as an HIV "test". This is a terrible thing to do, because even with the P24 antigen test and ELISA screening test, the blood supply can still be infected by someone who gives blood right after infection with HIV. It seems obvious to me that he was using the blood supply as an HIV test, but of course he will deny it. If they find that he lied on his screening questions, he might be in legal trouble. Terrible terrible terrible.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2305

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3