Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Stayingcalm
New User

Reged: 08/25/14
Looking for someone to talk to.
      #277838 - 08/25/14 10:33 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm posting here to reach out and find someone to talk to. I am going through some anxiety over a recent sexual encounter that I had. I am trying to stay calm but my personality is a little neurotic and I'm starting to worry myself into insanity. I am a gay man. I don't consider myself to be promiscuous. I recently met someone who lives in another state through Facebook. We have been getting to know each other for the past month. On two occasions we have traveled to visit each other. One weekend I went to visit him and another he came to visit me. On both occasions we were intimate, engaging in unprotected anal sex. I was both on the top and on the bottom during these encounters. On two occasions he ejaculated inside of me. On the first weekend that we met he showed me that he had been tested for hiv the week before and that the test had come back negative. He showed me the results on his computer as his doctor had some sort of a fancy system where you could log on and check your test results. He also let me know that they conducted two tests. One was a rapid hiv test that and the other was done in a lab and took a few days for the result. I am not exactly sure what test this was but it was for hiv. We also told each other that we weren't sleeping with anyone else but we did not go over specific recent history. At the moment I felt like we were doing everything right and allowed myself to relax which is why we did not use protection even though I knew we should have been. I have a tendency to let anxiety get in the way of intimacy and at this time I figured I needed to relax. I did buy condoms before he arrived but he indicated that he had a difficult time maintaining an erection with them. The weekend came and went and everything was fine. After he left, however, my anxiety reared it's head. It has now been over week since that encounter. We did not spend this most recent weekend together. I did have a sore throat and runny nose this weekend that is sill persistent. I have read that can be a sign of initial hiv infection. I have discussed this with him twice now since he left and I can tell that I am scaring/annoying him a little with my anxiety. He has also been noticeably more distant over this last week which is scaring me. However, I am supposed to spend this next weekend with him again at his home. The questions I'm finding myself asking are what would someone else do in my shoes? Am I just being crazy? This seems to be what a lot of couples do when they first start out after having being tested. Another question is is there any relief to be had in the fact that he had blood drawn for one of his hiv tests and that the window period for him might be shorter and the test more sensitive. I keep finding myself wondering if he is was in the window period, especially with the flu like symptoms I'm experiencing. And last, are these symptoms truly an indication of infection? Any help from anyone out there would be great. Sorry for the long post.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Looking for someone to talk to. new
      #277839 - 08/26/14 09:01 AM

There a absolutely NO 'symptoms' that are indicative of HIV. Symptoms of ARS are non-specific. If you read through most of these posts, you will see people list symptom after symptom as indicative of HIV infection.....but yet, they ultimately test negative.

Unprotected sex is a risk. The fact your partner had tested negative is a good sign.

Unfortunately there is no short-cut to knowing your status. Get tested at 6 weeks. A negative then is an excellent indicator that you don't have HIV. A final test at 3 months shouldn't change but is considered conclusive.

Good luck with your testing.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 267

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3