Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
IntrospectiveOne

Reged: 07/01/14
Engaged in High-Risk Behavior - Had Many Symptoms - Am HIV Negative (Phew!)
      #277192 - 07/16/14 12:37 AM

I'm posting this to let others know that hallmark symptoms of HIV that occur a few weeks after a high-risk sexual behavior don't necessarily mean one is infected. As I posted on July 1:

"I had sex (anal insertive) without a condom (I know, poor decision) with a TG woman five weeks back (on two consecutive evenings). I met her on CL, and she invited me over within a few emails. Two weeks ago I started experiencing many of the hallmark symptoms of HIV ARS: fever, slight rash on wrists, slight pain above the temples, malaise, loss of appetite/weight (13 lbs), cough, sore throat. The symptoms are only now subsiding."

Because I had had the flu vaccine last winter and blood tests had ruled out about 10 other things the symptoms might represent, my fear was sky-high, and I was already imagining what life might be life (and how it would likely be shortened) as an HIV+ person.

So last week my physician ordered an RNA test (which, unlike much less expensive antigen tests, is definitive for the presence of HIV even a few weeks after exposure) - and, a few days later, while shaking as I received the phone call, I learned I was negative.

I feel like I've been given a second lease on life - and plan to go forward with lessons learned. I really appreciate the existence of this forum - hearing other people's stories and fears made me feel that I wasn't alone (and very alone is exactly how I felt when I wasn't on the forum).

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhoenixLG
Regular

Reged: 05/20/14
Re: Engaged in High-Risk Behavior - Had Many Symptoms - Am HIV Negative (Phew!) new
      #277214 - 07/16/14 02:41 PM

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear you're okay. Continue to live your life and have fun, just stay safe and always insist on protection moving forward. Good luck!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 485

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3