Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
DSKMan

Reged: 05/23/14
Why lack of HIV testing service?
      #276821 - 06/24/14 08:53 AM

This is a complaint about the lack of HIV testing services available in the U.S. I always thought free HIV testing was readily available to all in the U.S. Now I know otherwise. In my county with over 1.5 million people who have a total lack of Free HIV testing services. The County run clinics only will provide testing to those who are on assisted living. Places like Planned Parenthood require proof of very low income before they will provide discounted HIV testing.I tried to get tested at PP and was told with my moderate income it would be over $100. We have only 1 clinic run by a non profit that provides free HIV testing, and they limit it to 4 times a year. Because it is only 1 clinic, it is very busy so appointments are needed. With such barriers to free testing, it is no wonder so many go untested here.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
woundedrhymes

Reged: 01/21/14
Loc: Toronto
Re: Why lack of HIV testing service? new
      #276826 - 06/24/14 04:01 PM

Thank God I live in Canada

Jackson8811

Reged: 06/03/14
      #276843 - 06/24/14 09:34 PM

Thank god i live in Canada as well. Testing out here is great, free DUO, pooled Naat ( RNA ), and of course ELISA.. Should really be like this everywhere.

DSKMan

Reged: 05/23/14
      #276853 - 06/25/14 02:19 AM

To be clear we have plenty of places here that offer free testing to those who are low income, but little for people like me who are moderate income and insured. I am simply expected go to my PCD and request a test.

The issue with this is many people like me are NOT comfortable going to our primary care doctors for HIV and other STD testing. Especially those of us like me who are homosexuals, how do we know our doctors are not homophobic. If I tell me doctor I am homosexual and would like HIV testing for possible risk, she might treat me like some diseased deviant. I can't risk it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 224

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3