Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
random1100

Reged: 06/21/14
Oraquick antibodies at 21 days post exposure
      #276767 - 06/21/14 05:26 PM

Hello, I am a 25 year old male and 3 weeks ago, May 31, I received anal sex from another male aged 21 in Atlanta without a condom. (I'm aware of how idiotic this was and that this is considered high risk) I do not know his status other than that he told me he had not had sex in the past three years because he is so well endowed that it is too difficult for most people (plus he is not "out") and has never "bottomed." He seemed as concerned as I was the following day so I have no reason to believe that he would lie about his status - although, he could be unaware of infection if he is positive.

Today, 3 weeks (21 days) past the incident, I purchased an in-home oraquick oral swab HIV test. I performed the test at home following the directions very carefully and the result was negative or non-reactive. I highly doubt that this test is conclusive. I believe the CDC guidelines are to test at 3 weeks and then 3 months past exposure.

My question is, how reliable is this result? Would most infected individuals have enough antibodies after 21 days for the oraquick in-home test to detect? I have seen information online ranging from definitely not to most likely, 50% to 75% or even 90% likely, etc. and wanted some clarification on my outlook here.

I am planning to have a 4th generation duo test performed next week 30 days post exposure for what I hope will be a conclusive result. However, it is important to me that I have some context for the likelihood of eventually testing positive. Thank you,

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Oraquick antibodies at 21 days post exposure new
      #276770 - 06/21/14 06:30 PM

You had to throw a tough one in the mix didn't you?

Where exactly are you with this? Do you think you should have reason to be worried?

I ask, because I can't see you, so I'd like to know whether you are just information seeking or if more information is going to make the matter worse for you.

random1100

Reged: 06/21/14
      #276773 - 06/21/14 09:58 PM

Quote:

You had to throw a tough one in the mix didn't you?

Where exactly are you with this? Do you think you should have reason to be worried?

I ask, because I can't see you, so I'd like to know whether you are just information seeking or if more information is going to make the matter worse for you.

I'm concerned because unprotected receptive anal sex is a high risk activity for hiv transmission. His status is unknown, however, he is a minority male who has sex with men which statistically is a group more frequently affected by HIV. I figure the odds he was HIV positive combined with the odds that transmission occurred during our single encounter is roughly 1 in 500 (1 in 100 if he is HIV positive).

Those odds aren't too bad. Furthermore, I have had no symptoms associated with early HIV infection. That isn't conclusive anything as only 50-90% of newly infected individuals will experience symptoms - but, again, certainly better than not that I am not showing symptoms I would hope. Right? I also have no symptoms associated with other STDs which would typically have manifested about now if they were going to (i.e. Chlamydia, ghonorrea, etc.).

So under the circumstances, my question is combined with all present factors, am I safe to assume it is very unlikely that I have HIV and that my oraquick in-home test at 3 weeks is a good indicator of this despite the fact that it is not conclusive. How accurate could it have been though?

I read that individuals that take longer than most individuals to produce dectectable antibodies (most will have by 4-6 weeks after infection with the average being around 3 weeks) take longer because of some pre-existing condition like cancer that would have weakened their immune system, thus resulting in a longer window period during which the immune system will produce enough antibodies to test positive. This leads me to assume that the healthier you are and the stronger your immune system is the earlier you should test positive. I'm young, in the prime of my life, and in excellent overall health. This would lead me to believe that I should produce decteable antibodies closer to the average time (roughly 3 weeks) if not sooner and therefore my 3 week test SHOULD be a pretty excellent indicator that I do not have HIV.

I wanted people's thoughts on that. Obviously I should test again to be sure at a time when I can get a test that is 100% conclusive but was the test I had today pretty close to being accurate enough to rest easy that it is highly improbably that a later test will be positive?

Please help because I have no one to talk to since I'm not out either. That is why I'm here.

Thanks,

Edited by random1100 (06/21/14 10:04 PM)

kicker

#276775 - 06/21/14 10:42 PM

Ok, take a couple of deep breaths first and foremost and read this carefully.

While your test today is promising a more definitive test would be a six week test done by a health care provider. AidAtlanta, AIDGwinnett, Planned Parenthood, public health clinics, all provide free and confidential HIV tests that are accurate at six weeks. The at home test isn't designed to be as sensitive as the ones they can provide.

You are right that your chances are fairly low even if the person you had sex with is HIV+, it is estimate to be around 1.38% risk. That means you have a 98.62% chance of not being infected even if they were HIV+. So don't panic.

If you find you can't wait the six weeks, you can visit an ER or your GP and ask for a PCR that will give you a conclusive answer in a few days, but you will have to tell them why so they run the right PCR. They are expensive, just a heads up.

You are welcome to ask questions and talk here.

DSKMan

Reged: 05/23/14
      #276810 - 06/23/14 07:59 PM

Quote:

Ok, take a couple of deep breaths first and foremost and read this carefully.

While your test today is promising a more definitive test would be a six week test done by a health care provider. AidAtlanta, AIDGwinnett, Planned Parenthood, public health clinics, all provide free and confidential HIV tests that are accurate at six weeks. The at home test isn't designed to be as sensitive as the ones they can provide.

You are right that your chances are fairly low even if the person you had sex with is HIV+, it is estimate to be around 1.38% risk. That means you have a 98.62% chance of not being infected even if they were HIV+. So don't panic.

If you find you can't wait the six weeks, you can visit an ER or your GP and ask for a PCR that will give you a conclusive answer in a few days, but you will have to tell them why so they run the right PCR. They are expensive, just a heads up.

You are welcome to ask questions and talk here.

I don't know were you are but the only free test available here is the exact same Oraquick test used at home. There is only 1 free HIV clinic available here, and they use the Oraquick test, which according to Oraquick is the same as the Home test.

Planned Parenthood here charges over $100 for an HIV test, not free at all.

kicker

#276812 - 06/23/14 09:17 PM

@dskman

How aweful for you! Maybe you should think of moving.

DSKMan

#276814 - 06/23/14 09:59 PM

I live in California in an area with millions if people. I doubt planned parenthood offers free HIV testing in most if any places. They sure don't in California. It was very clear proof of low income was needed for free HIV testing at basically all but one clinic here.

Anyways for the OP, 21 days is far too short. Antibody test need 3 months, 6 weeks can give you a minor indication though.

Edited by DSKMan (06/23/14 10:54 PM)

kicker

#276822 - 06/24/14 09:44 AM

So since you don't have multiple places to test you think other places don't offer different services. Georgia and especially Atlanta has been very hard hit with HIV in comparison to other places in the US. Along with the large minority population it's underdeveloped economic climate helps drive the epidemic.

So there are more avenues to treatment and testing here. Especially in the metro Atlanta area. Which also is home to millions of people. And planned parenthood has a stepped tier payment system so it still offers free testing. Maybe not for you, but this post wasn't about you or your location or you lack of services to deal with your diluted sense of risky behavior and HIV.

Now just because you have made yourself miserable by diluting yourself into believing that oral sex carries this huge risk solely for you and you alone, does not give you the right to be a prick to others or to spread your misinformation. Six week tests here are extremely accurate and highly and extremely unlikely to change.

DSKMan

#276828 - 06/24/14 04:38 PM

I didn't realize that you were referring specifically to Atlanta, as I missed that the OP was in Atlanta. I though you were listing places that anyone would have. I Only was trying to point out that some people do not have access to such places. As I thought the OP could be in a place with a lack of testing services available.

kicker

#276837 - 06/24/14 06:54 PM

In that quote you had to read AIDAtlanta (notice the name) and AIDGwinnett (a county in metro atlanta) before reaching Planned Parenthood. You didn't complain about not having those two places. Why is that?

Also you yourself state Planned Parenthood offers free testing for those who can not afford it. So how was my information wrong? You also state your local public health clinic offers it to low income individuals. Sorry, you aren't poor and in need of a handout. Have you thought about quitting your job and becoming poor enough to get the services free?

As well how does telling the OP that they shouldn't put faith in their six week test helpful? Did someone say that to you? I DON'T THINK SO. You have been told quite the opposite.

In fact you have been told repeatedly that your behavior was not a risk to even worry about. It's as near ZERO risk you could have short of abstaining from sex and human contact completely.

You want to complain about your lack of services, did it ever occur to you that there may be a lack, because HIV isn't a major problem in your area? That, because of that they only need one clinic? Which then begs the question as to how much of a chance you had to have given/gotten a bj from someone HIV+ if the indecent rate is low enough to only need one HIV specific clinic in your area with "millions" of people?

I am really betting you still don't see how diluted you have made the situation for yourself do you? That in my opinion is just a sad state of being.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1086

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3