Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ATLmidtownie

Reged: 06/20/14
Poz semen in eyes... Should I go on pep?
      #276735 - 06/20/14 10:48 AM

I have seen other questions about this but here goes. I hooked up with a guy last night whom I know is positive and we did nothing but jerk off. However, he came a bucket and some of it landed in both my eyes. I flushed my eyes with water and was curious if I should go on pep since he is poz. Thanks for your help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Poz semen in eyes... Should I go on pep?
      #276736 - 06/20/14 11:47 AM

Depends on what you are more comfortable with. The risk is negligible at best. Since this person is probably in treatment (guessing since they told you they are positive) chances are pretty low, plus that tears are much like saliva.

So if you would feel better if you did, go to AIDAtlanta and ask to be started on treatment (if you are embarrassed to go to your normal gp). It won't hurt if it gives you peace of mind.

Plus did you know that most insurers cover the cost of PrEP(truvada) for people at risk for HIV infection with little or no copay. So you could be proactive and start protecting yourself all the time. There really aren't any significant side effects (might have an upset stomach or a little dizzy for the first few days) but it cuts your risk by up to 95% if taken consistently. Just for those times when you are unsure of the other person's status or if they are being truthful. (btw it's the same med they give for PEP so you can start now for PEP and just continue making it PrEP.)

ATLmidtownie

Re: Poz semen in eyes... Should I go on pep?
      #276737 - 06/20/14 11:59 AM

Thanks. I'll probably go to aid Atlanta today and ask. Although the only health insurance I have is the ACA for which I am unsure if that covers pep/prep medicine.

kicker

Re: Poz semen in eyes... Should I go on pep? new
      #276738 - 06/20/14 12:08 PM

Pretty sure it does, but there may be preauthorization needed. PEP needs to be started as early as possible to be effective, within 72 hours. Plus they will want to run a HIV test before starting it. (20 minutes to do that).

I really don't think you have anything to worry about as far as HIV is concerned, but the sooner you get the ball rolling the better I'm sure you will feel about it. I would also suggest if you haven't done so to get a hep a & b vaccine done. That is more of a concern in this case.

ATLmidtownie

#276739 - 06/20/14 12:13 PM

I just called AIDatlanta and the operator did nothing to ease my nerves, saying my exposure in the eyes is very high risk. He then went on to describe what seemed like an exhaustive and expensive process to obtain pep meds. Of course my health is worth the hassle but I'm pretty freaked out to be honest. Although that operator was not a physician.

ATLmidtownie

#276740 - 06/20/14 12:14 PM

I am vaccinated against hep a and b.

kicker

#276741 - 06/20/14 12:32 PM

I'm not a physician either; I am sorry that they are uninformed and uncaring enough to not give you any comfort. Like I said the risk is very very slight. Less than 1%. Or what they call near zero. Doesn't mean it's no risk, but it also doesn't mean there is need for panic either.

Unfortunately aid Atlanta has a lot of volunteers helping and everyone has a different level of experience and knowledge surrounding HIV. The ones answering the phones aren't trained all that well.

Take a deep breath and just be proactive rather than reactive. You will be fine the risk would be greater if it was blood and you didn't know their status. I'm sure they told you it right? So if they know then chances are they are doing something about it. People who are being treated are far less likely to spread the virus because they are taking medication that inhibits it. That inhibiting factor prevents them from passing it along.

Sorry I don't live in midtown or I'd offer to go with you, but you will be alright in the long run. Just go talk to a doctor who is knowledgable and you will be fine.

ATLmidtownie

#276742 - 06/20/14 12:40 PM

I appreciate your help. I'm guessing you would vote against taking pep in this situation based on what you've said? I understand the risk is quite low but knowing my luck I would be the one in a million who actually seroconverts here. Forgive my paranoia here... Going forward I'll get on prep but just trying to decide what's best today.

kicker

#276743 - 06/20/14 12:58 PM

I think given the paranoia I would suggest going on pep if for nothing else so you can sleep tonight. I also think prep would be good for you in the long run which will prevent you from feeling this way in the future.

I am not going to tell you what is right for you. You need to decide that, but I don't think you have a whole lot to be concerned about. Had you said you bare backed each other till morning then I'd say panic away, to a point, but even then I would still say that you don't need to go "jump off a bridge".

Do what you are comfortable doing and can live with. Get tested, I suggest everyone get tested a very least once a year whether they are safe or not. Living in midtown I would say get tested every three months. It painless if you can call sitting and waiting painless (that's usually the hardest part).

I would also get checked for other stds. They will make it easier to contract HIV if you are exposed. That is really what I was thinking with your exposure other stds. All of which even HIV is treatable and manageable.

So, to recap, you know the risk is very very slight, you know their status which if they told you it it means that they are more than likely seeing a doctor regularly and in treatment (I found that the ones who are honest tend to be) and that you have options that you can use and take advantage of to help you. So make a decision based on the information you have rather than the fear and you will be alright.

ATLmidtownie

#276744 - 06/20/14 01:03 PM

Thanks. I'll let you know what happens. And lol at the suggestion to get tested every 3 months in midtown. Ain't that damn truth.

kicker

#276745 - 06/20/14 01:08 PM

Well I wasn't gonna to say that, but....yeah unfortunately. More so for other stds. They have the market cornered on that.

kicker

#276746 - 06/20/14 01:10 PM

And let us know. It's nice hearing from people who have been in your situation and shows others that they don't need to fear things that much.

PhoenixLG
Regular

Reged: 05/20/14
      #276752 - 06/20/14 03:51 PM

Just my two cents: After my high risk adventure, going to the ER was rather quick and easy for me. A bit more expensive (had to pay my $100 insurance copay) but I was in and out in a couple of hours. In addition to the rapid HIV test, I was also given a penicillin shot and a course of oral antibiotics to prevent the onset of other STDs, plus a 28 day nPEP prescription for Truvada/Kaletra which I was able to get filled at my local CVS. My insurance covered it and I only paid a copay of $30 for it. Totally worth it as I was able to take my first dose of pep just about 12 hours after exposure. The sooner you start, the more effective it will be in preventing the onset of HIV if you were indeed exposed. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Edited by PhoenixLG (06/20/14 04:32 PM)

kicker

#276753 - 06/20/14 04:13 PM

@Phoenix

What a great example you are of how people end up fine even when they don't know the status of the person. Given that you didn't know the persons status don't you think it would be better to say you engaged in high risk behavior rather than had a high risk exposure? Frames it more accurately for your particular story. It might insight fear saying it your way.

Eta: also shows that you take responsiblity for your part and doesn't stigmatize the individual who just happened to be transsexual. People do go back and read posts.

Edited by kicker (06/20/14 04:19 PM)

PhoenixLG
Regular

Reged: 05/20/14
      #276754 - 06/20/14 04:38 PM

Totally agree, Kicker. In retrospect, it was more of a high risk adventure, therefore corrected!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1409

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3