Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Jackson8811

Reged: 06/03/14
HIV, why isnt this talked about? new
      #276527 - 06/06/14 12:32 AM

Okay, so ive done a fair share of research this past month as i have been going through what i believe is my seroconversion illness ( ARS ) .. Im not a doctor, and i cant self diagnose but i have a few points id like to bring up and wonder if anyone has any information on them. I believe if infact i was infected, it was with a very small amount of the virus. Im wondering if because i was infected with a small amount of the virus, I.E. through a tiny abrasion or from getting fluids on the head of my penis after condom use.. Experts would call this low risk, but could low risk mean longer window periods? I wonder....

1. Would this be what makes people seroconvert slower than others? because they were infected with less in quantity of the virus? Which would result in less antibodies originally needed and not enough to be detected?

2. I also wonder, according to multiple sources during the first month of infection people have sky loaded viral loads.. would this not make the RNA-pooled naat test conslusive at 3, 4, and 6 weeks as it claims to have close to 100% sensitivity ?? Why would someone not have detectable viral loads during this period? This confuses me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: HIV, why isnt this talked about? new
      #276528 - 06/06/14 01:14 AM

I'm typing this on my phone so it will be brief, or briefer than normal.

1. The only things that makes people not produce antibodies to HIV upon exposure are A) they are on immune surpressing drugs B) are receiving cancer therapies that have already destroyed their immune system C) were not infected to begin with.

2. See answer one.

Now for the finale, HIV is programmed if you will to do one thing, reproduce. It does so exponentially. One virus infects a host cell and reprograms it to produce thousands of viruses before ultimately destroying that cell. That is why when the initial infection occurs (when symptoms appear) the viral load is at a heightened state. In the tens of hundreds of thousands. That number is what is in a drop of blood. The avg width/size of a HIV virus is (if I remember correctly) roughly 120 nanometers. Just for comparison a cd4 cell is 450nm. The test can pick up copies of the virus down to a astronomical small scale of 20 copies. Just to give you perspective. Many of the wave lengths of visible light are 4-5x bigger than HIV. It only takes one HIV cell to infect and produce thousands that go on to create their own thousands.

It is psychically impossible to not have A or B condition and not show up on an RNA test if you were indeed infected, which you weren't.

I understand your fears, but the science has 30 yrs on your few weeks of research into debunking it. It might be time for you to address the real problem your having with your guilt than trying to undermined the advancements we have made in treating and detecting this serious illness.

Jackson8811

#276529 - 06/06/14 02:18 AM

Thank you for your time and reply. I have read stories of people on forums who have tested positive but had undetectable viral loads for up to 7 months though. This is why im trying to pinpoint everything together for myself and try and make some sense of it.. i have also read stories about people who got hiv and wore condoms and had low viral load counts.. this is why ive been asking the questions ive been asking. I have had fever, heavy heavy malaise, very sore throat, oral ulcers, rash, stiff stiff neck, all starting around day 17 post exposure. this is why i am concerned for myself, and its now been a month and a half and my lymph nodes are still swollen in my groin and i have consistent pains throughout my body and in my armpits/back of neck. and pretty much whenever i try and do anything that i would usually do that takes a little bit of effort my body just gets hot and fatigues.. This is why i am concerned man, i mean i think its normal to be concerened considering what ive gone through.. im just trying my best to tie things together. And even 3 days after the exposure, i had the penile ulcer.. i had the painful urination... And i just have a tough time believing im going to walk away from this HIV negative.

kicker

#276532 - 06/06/14 07:29 AM

So you are reading personal accounts that may or may not be true or accurate, by people who may or may not have an agenda in propagating a falsehood or may not have the knowledge to know better? Is that right?

Jackson8811

#276539 - 06/06/14 03:54 PM

Well yeah sure, thats a good point. But i find it hard to believe that people would post bogus information about their stories... and i mean in that case why would organizations claim that the RNA test is only 90% accurate up to 6 weeks.. I just honestly feel that this girl i slept with, she may have scraped me with a contaminated item as i noticed an abrasion in my pubic region. And ive heard that with health care workers dealing with needstick inuries they suggest waiting it out to 6 months because of the small quantity of HIV infecting them? is this true? My lymph nodes are swollen every day for the past very very long time. and with everything else, body wide.. i just dont see as how the heck this couldnt be HIV.

kicker

#276540 - 06/06/14 04:09 PM

Ok.

Jackson8811

#276614 - 06/09/14 09:11 PM

I just tested intermediate on a point of care rapid test.. at 9 weeks.

Jackson8811

#276633 - 06/11/14 02:21 AM

Not at all trying to disrespect or prove you wrong kicker. I really hope to god that you are infact right and i havent been infected.. But deep down i feel i just might be one of the cases on these forums that actually does end up positive. If in fact i do end up negative, i promise to help on this forum as i would consider myself the perfect example of how you cant diagnose by symptoms.. because what i had, was basically putting all the information on ARS symptoms together that i could possibly find on well documented websites into two months of my life after an exposure with a street level sex worker. Its been tough, with anxiety problems too.. After all of this though, Do you have any thoughts on my intermediate test at this point? Im not sure what to think, i am going to wait to 12 weeks, July 1st to go in for another test and consider it absolutely conclusive... what would you expect?

kicker

#276637 - 06/11/14 10:03 AM

What did the test taker say about it? I'm sure they explained it to you. Which test was it an oral or finger prick?

Jackson8811

Re: HIV, why isnt this talked about?
      #276640 - 06/11/14 01:21 PM

finger prick. and no they didnt it was more or less a weird experience in clinic because they think im just a lunatic but i could tell they were surprised by the results.

kicker

#276641 - 06/11/14 02:13 PM

What do you think it means then?

Jackson8811

#276651 - 06/12/14 04:00 AM

Very strange result actually apparently it means negative and they've had it happen a few times with some batches they get where you get just a ring in the control. ( Point of care rapid test ). Good news is, today i took another test this time it was an Insti rapid test at a clinic closer to my house, just because i wanted to be sure and it came out negative so that was a relief. Its now 9 weeks and 3 days, im feeling good about the result i got today and trying to stay confident and positive. The main symptoms im having still are swollen lymph nodes and kind of pains in them in groin, neck, armpits, stomach problems, muscle pains and aches, and tiny strange rashes that are flat kind of in random spots on my arms mostly, some weird shapes involed in them... im thinking i could just be incredibly runned down from the stress ive been under, maybe develoepd a canadidas overgrowth or something causing some of these buzzar symptoms. Its hard to say, i really would like to move on... but its just hard when i feel like the past 2 months have town me apart so much physically it just feels like its hard to be sure it isnt an acute hiv infection.. but then again my test results are very encouraging, and my exposure was low.. What do you think at this point Kicker?

kicker

#276658 - 06/12/14 09:58 AM

I think a couple of things. First your inderminate test was a fluke. When that happens it can be a number of reasons, mostly user error or bad batch, never really anything else.

I am glad things worked out for you and hope that this puts that aspect of the matter to bed for you. As far as your symptoms you should start working with a doctor to resolve what those are. Counseling may also be a source of relieving symptoms; if not at least help you deal with them better than you have.

May I also suggest that you stay away from searching online anymore for your symptoms as it is apparently a trigger for increasing your anxiety and making things worse for you.

Good luck.

Jackson8811

#276670 - 06/13/14 02:17 AM

Yes, im working on my anxiety with a therapist... Although i am wondering, do your really think i can put this issue to rest, and really just move on and not be worried about ever infecting anyone else? I just want to know what you think and if you really believe i will still test negative at 3 months. going threw the archives of this forum there are ALOT of posters with really really unrealistic complaints of symptoms they thought were ARS... when realisticly they were in fact nothing like ARS in any logical sense. I just feel like what ive gone through has been a little more on the realistic possibility side of things.. like litteraly dude, penile ulcer and painful urination 3 days after ( a sign of the viremia spreading ) 17 days after, overheating and fever, sore throat, heavy heavy malaise... and then a huge list over the 4 weeks following of strange symptoms.. and now my lymph nodes are swollen and have been for weeks on end. ive been fatigues heavily pretty much since day 4 or 5 after the exposure as well... But i mean, i guess if this was HIV.. i probably would have tested positive already.. but i mean man, it was with a girl off the street, i just feel like she may have been HIV +... But all in all man, do you think i can put this issue to rest and move on confidently hiv -? At this point id rather just know i was positive if i am and be like OKAY that is what the hell happened to my body.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 981

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3