Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
springer
Unregistered

Re OUR GOVERNMENT
      #27651 - 01/31/02 11:48 AM

Exactly my thoughts 'Anonymous One' the 1% or 0.1% inaccuracy of the test depending what you read, in my mind is used as a disclaimer as because of the way this virus is consistently mutating. The tests used need to be updated all the time as new strains appear, meaning some subtypes are always out there that are not picked up on the current EIA’s The government plays down this inaccuracy as I think they know if you have tested negative you are more likely than not to practice safe sex in the future because if you firmly believe you are negative you won’t want to catch it so you practice safe sex, if you firmly believe you are positive because of symptoms despite negative test results you wouldn’t want to pass it onto someone else, so you practice safe sex.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Re OUR GOVERNMENT(Springer) new
      #27654 - 01/31/02 12:34 PM

Glad to hear someone agrees! I have read a post that had indicated the person did not agree. The reason, in the long run it would cost more, more infected, etc. I disagree, look at the money they save over the potential years of treatment!? I have read, (and some of these aticles are only a couple years old,if that) that antibody test would not react to the normal ELISA beyond six months in some cases, but it does in urine. In addition, the inaccuracy of the ELISE tests. If the window period is so conclusive, why all the confusion on the window period? It has even been stated that there have not been extensives studies to know for certain. This leads me to believe even more so that they truly do not really know for certain either. Take care and best of luck!

worried22yo
Expert

Reged: 10/26/01
Loc: Northeast PA
Re: Re OUR GOVERNMENT new
      #27655 - 01/31/02 01:06 PM

I agree. This is truly what I think happened to me. One doesn't have all the symptoms in a time frame and then pass them on (sadly) to someone else for no reason. I hate that I ever believed those tests some days.

Good luck to everyone!

--------------------
Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27657 - 01/31/02 01:45 PM

llok this is bullshit
if you test outside the window being 6 months or 10 yrs and the tests show u neg then you are neg as jackie blue saidsymptoms are being caused by something other than hiv this is not a goverment scandal people the elisa test are the best we got so trust the test

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27675 - 01/31/02 08:37 PM

I understand your theory about mutant virus, but here's where you lost me:

"The government plays down this inaccuracy as I think they know if you have tested negative you are more likely than not to practice safe sex in the future because if you firmly believe you are negative you won’t want to catch it so you practice safe sex,"
ENDQUOTE

Okay so if you truly believe you're NEGATIVE, then you're more likely to practice safe sex...

"...if you firmly believe you are positive because of symptoms despite negative test results you wouldn’t want to pass it onto someone else, so you practice safe sex."
ENDQUOTE

Okay so if you truly believe you're POSITIVE, then you're more likely to practice safe sex...

What are you saying? It sounds like either way, you're more likely to practice safe sex. Are you saying that if the "government" admitted that the inaccuracy was really 1% or .1% that it would make a difference? Obviously the 1% or .1% inaccuracy is no secret, since everyone knows about it. I just don't get your point. Plus I don't think the "government" gets together in secret and decides "Let's play down the inaccuracy of the HIV test, because it will help promote safe sex. Yeah, we'll tell everyone it's 1% or .1% inaccurate, and they'll all start using condoms." Huh? Is it just me, or is this nonsense?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27676 - 01/31/02 08:47 PM

I give up on you. It seems like you're never going to believe your HIV negative. You had "all the symptoms" but of course there are no symptoms unique to HIV. Many viruses cause the same ARS symptoms, but why am I bothering to tell you this for the millionth time? You don't listen anyway. Since you had all the other tests, why don't you start getting your CD4's measured? Just beware, because they vary up and down like 50% in a single day. Next you'll be convinced you're borderline AIDS.

Anonymous One
Unregistered

Re: Re OUR GOVERNMENT(!!!) new
      #27677 - 01/31/02 09:36 PM

I would possibly believe the accuracy of an ELISA, if I were without symptoms. For starters I developed a white tongue within 2-3 weeks after the possible exposure. In addition, numerous others. At 6 weeks I developed severly swollen nodes. Still have the swollen nodes, etc., 11 months later. BS or not, some things may be in the head, brought on my nerves, etc., but NOT SWOLLEN NODES. I have been to the Dr. and they haven't a clue what is going on. They cannot find anything wrong! This seems to leave only one explanation!!! The Dr. had indicated he suspected HIV, but ruled it out ONLY BECAUSE I HAD TESTED WITH HOME ACCESS UP TO 7 MONTHS. Comments or opinions appreciated, but not if, (some of) all you have to say is "BS the tests are accurate, etc. If you are so damn certain you are negative and believe the results, why are some of you still coming to this web site? Why do the "medical experts" use a WB as confirmation of a positive, but negative if the WB is non-reactive? As anyone knows, a WB is more inclined to give an (false) reactive result when compared to an ELISA. Accurate you say? The ELISA is SUPPOSE to be the best! I am not one to believe everything I am told especially when I have researched this topic for nearly 11 months in addition to having continuous symptoms. I think I have visited every web site pertaining to HIV. Besides, the bottom line is 99.9%, not 100% conclusive!!! I suggest some of you do your own research, develop your own opinion, and not follow like sheep! That said, good day...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27679 - 01/31/02 10:48 PM

Why are you replying like this to worried22yo, when he agrees with you? I think you meant to respond to my post which was specifically in reply to worried22yo. You see, worried22yo has not only had multiple negative ELISA test results, some as long as 5 to 6 months after exposure, but also an undetectable viral load test by PCR. And yet, because of "symptoms" he remains skeptical. No matter how many times I remind him that HIV does not have unique symptoms, and that ARS does not last for many months, he is not persuaded to change his mind, despite all of the negative test results. He has also been checked in person by a doctor, and another doctor has responded to his concern on this website as well. Yet he remains worried.

Now you bring up the issue of the accuracy of the ELISA, but remember, worried22yo also had PCR. The reason a positive ELISA is confirmed by Western Blot or IFA is because the ELISA is so SENSITIVE that it could possibly react and give a false positive. You seem to think it gave you a false negative, which is extremely unlikely at 7 months post exposure. False negatives are usually due to testing too early in the window period. You claim that a Western Blot is more likely to give a false positive, but I have never read that before. The Western Blot is more difficult to interpret, so ELISA is used first, to screen out the HIV negatives. They don't bother to run a complicated, expensive, confirmatory Western Blot on a sample that is non-reactive on the highly sensitive, easy to run ELISA. If the sample does not react with the ELISA, there is no need for a confirmatory test at that point.

But you are starting to remind me of worried22yo, because you are focusing on ongoing symptoms, in addition to finding it hard to accept your results. You sound just like him when you say "This seems to leave only one explanation!!!" Since you have read so much about HIV, you must agree with me that there are no symptoms which are unique to HIV, right? So there are MANY other explanations besides HIV. Have your doctors taken a biopsy of your node to rule out lymphoma and other cancers? White tongue is certainly not unique to HIV.

Also, you say you have had CONTINUOUS symptoms for 11 months, but are you aware that ARS does not last many months? Only the swollen nodes might last, all other ARS symptoms go away by themselves within a week or two. ARS is not usually some bizarre illness consisting of many "weird symptoms" (as worried22yo likes to say), it is usually just something like a bad flu with swollen nodes.

That said, please try not to worry so much about HIV. There are plenty of things that will kill you faster than HIV.

Anonymous One
Unregistered

#27682 - 02/01/02 03:05 AM

Thanks for the reply and well received! I did oops when I posted that, sorry. Regarding a false positive on the WB, that may have been John Hopkins where I read it. I have read so much that I am no longer certain. I do agree that no symptoms are unique to HIV. The doctor ruled out lymphoma by an ultra sound of the patella region and chest x-ray, which showed nothing. I was not satisfied at that point, though he was. After that I had a CT Scan of the chest, abdomin, and patella (golf ball size on the back side of my knees) region, with the same result. In addition though, slight asymmetry of the leg muscles below the knees were noted. I have read where HIV does effect the leg muscles. While it may take some time to reach the stage where walking may be effected, this may be an HIV indicator? The front of both knee areas of the legs look abnormal too. I do still have the swollen nodes (multiple locations) and a white colored tongue. The tongue problem was really severe during what would be appropriate for the window/sero time frame and lasted 6 to 8 weeks. It did get better, but still there. Part of the whole problem I believe is due to the fact that the Doctors I have seen, have no real HIV knowledge. One is just a GP and the other hematology. To give you an idea on how up to date the GP is, he did not know what Home Access was until I explained it to him. After the initial tests of the x-ray, etc., he sent me to a hematology/oncology Dr., at my insistance. Though I requested an ID doctor, he did not feel it was necessary due to my testing through Home Access. It was that 2nd Dr. that ordered the CT Scans. When I first met with him I suggested biopsy and he felt it was not necessary. He has no real experience dealing with HIV either. The doctors are HMO type, the more they save the insurance company, the bigger their bonus. Also, I think it is just too coincidental given the timing of the start of my symptoms and the exposure date to be anything else. I am not like some of these "real" worry wells. My concerns are genuine and related to an extremely high risk, without protection, and of unknown HIV status. Testing was discussed before hand, but to tell the true, I was ignorant about HIV then. It was only after I started to develop symptoms that I started researching the matter. If I had not developed the symptoms in the first place, I would not be here now. I never had a PCR either. To date, the doctors have no clue as to what is going on and cancer was ruled out. All said, I hope you can understand the reasons for my being enigmatical? Any positive feed back would be greatly appreciated! Where do you stand, i.e., negative, retesting, etc? Thanks and best of luck!

Jackie+Blue
Unregistered

#27688 - 02/01/02 06:08 AM

You are seeing the wrong kind of doctor. Go see a shrink. You have tested negative. It didn't matter if an ID doctor or a GP ordered the test. The results would be the same.

Yes you are like the other worried wells. You don't believe your test results. You believe this is some government conspriacy. Your doctors don't know anything. You have continuing symptoms. You had a one time 'possible' exposure. You don't know the status of the other person, they could well be negative themselves. Just because you have lived on the computer for the last 11 months doesn't mean you know more than the experts, CDC, etc.

There is a way for you to feel better. Get some counseling. Until you do, you will continue to feel the way you do. Eventually it will ruin your life if it hasn't already.

Anonymous One
Unregistered

#27696 - 02/01/02 05:26 PM

I did NOT test for HIV through the doctors. What I said was, they cannot find the cause for the symptoms. HIV tests of any type was never ordered. What don't you understand about this, basket case? Go see a head doctor yourself!

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #27701 - 02/01/02 08:19 PM

I need a shrink? Hell, you could be a case study.

If you don't believe your Home Access tests, why did you waste all the money? They are accurate and FDA approved.

But be that as it may. Instead of wasting the precious little time we have on earth crying about the fact you don't believe Home Access, get tested by your doctor if it makes you feel better. It will be negative, then you can pay for a PCR and God knows what else to end up where you are now. Negative and a HEAD CASE.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27710 - 02/02/02 04:56 AM

"you wouldn’t want to pass it onto someone else, so you practice safe sex."

I do hope by 'safe sex' you mean sex without a condom. A condom is anything but safe sex. Condoms have been proven by study after study to afford NO protection and they can cause cancer, and type III LIDS (Latex Induced Disease Syndrome) which can be fatal. No less than 3 known carcinogens and 41 toxins on the FDA list are used in the manufacture of condoms.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: - WITH A GLOVE, IT'S NOT LOVE!

Read the facts at this first rate mega site: -

http://www.aidsRC.org

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: CRININA|L GOVERNMENT new
      #27716 - 02/02/02 06:21 PM

Our GOVERNMENT? Hardley they work for the global elite not US! Time to wake up!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3113

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3