Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
DathanielTDK
New User

Reged: 03/14/14
Potential Infection Through Natural Skin Condoms
      #275687 - 03/14/14 09:33 PM

So here's my situation. Just under a week ago I hooked up with a woman I had never met, she basically coming up to me and asking if I'd like to "go party". I said sure, she told me to meet her in her hotel room. I went and got a condom out of my car first and then went to meet her.

Getting into her room she was already naked and I tried to make out with her, but she said no, that's too personal. That should have set warning bells off and I should have left, but I continued. I sat on the bed and she took my condom, put it on, and then performed about 15 seconds of oral, followed by about 12 to 15 seconds of vaginal penetration before I climaxed early. She did not climax (in fact she claimed it took a lot to get her to climax, another warning bell). After I got dressed she asked for a $60 donation to which I refused to give, stating we never agreed that I'd have to pay. I left before the insults got too heavy.

Being a little worried, I went on got tested for STDs the following Monday. Doctor agreed that it was foolish but didn't think too highly of getting infected. This was all assuming I'd use regular condoms, but later that evening I looked at the box of the condoms I used and was horrified to see that they were natural lamb skin condoms, not latex. The box stated that it was not to be used to help prevent disease infection, I just didn't take the time to read, like a fool.

Wednesday all current urine and blood tests came out clean but I have to go back in June for the definitive HIV tests. I told my doctor about my discovery and he made no changes in his plans, simply stating to keep the same plan to get tested again in June.

The last few days I have been quite literally freaking out, letting myself get worked up with anxiety and feeling "symptoms" attributed to that. This girl was most certainly a hooker, from what I can tell an experienced one though from what I know they always ask for money first, not sure why this one didn't, but I'm assuming at this point she has years of experience and has been passed around to perhaps hundreds of other guys. THere's no telling what she was carrying, so I'm considering the chances of her being HIV positve very high.

Assuming she was positive, here are some factors I've been told to consider.
1.) Natural lambskin condoms don't block HIV transmission but I have been told they are better than nothing at all. Is this true? Did they help my chances of not getting infected.

2.) Initial tests came back negative and my doctor says that the chances of test in June coming back positive are minimal.

3.) I have a healthy penis, meaning no sores or anything on the outside surface, so the only port of entry is through the urethra. I've been told that because she didn't climax during the sex, my chances were a lot better and that I'd be fine.

Given these conditions I know the chance of infection is still possible, but from what I understand they're rather small. Anyone who has thoughts on this though? Should I be going through this anxiety or do I not have that much to fear over?

Thanks
D

Edited by DathanielTDK (03/15/14 01:33 AM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator
Veteran

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Potential Infection Through Natural Skin Condoms new
      #275690 - 03/15/14 08:58 AM

Trust the information that you were given. Do your best not to freak out. That only causes things to your body that will lead you to believe that your infected. And to make yourself feel more secure get tested in 3 months. And expect negative results.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

DathanielTDK
New User

#275695 - 03/15/14 10:52 PM

Can thinking about it even just a little bit through the day bring up feeling like you're ill later on? Thought about it a little bit earlier this afternoon and browsed some hiv stuff on the forum. Nothing I would call a "panic attack" though. Now this evening just playing video games I start getting feelings of nausea and feeling I want to throw up. I've heard of "post anxiety attack hangover" but didn't think it can happen more than twenty-four hours after the attack.

riverprincessModerator
Veteran

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #275711 - 03/17/14 10:38 AM

Many times we think we're doing well with stress when we're really just doing a good job at supressing it. The the truth will come out through the body one way or the other.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

DathanielTDK
New User

#275721 - 03/17/14 09:50 PM

Been reading up on some of the statistics on the CDC website here (http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/basics/ataglance.html) about the number of estimated HIV infected in the United States. About 1.3 million, counting the estimated number of people who don't know they're infected. That's out of a current US population of about 313 million. Given these numbers, the chances of the girl I was with having HIV are pretty low, especially considering white females seem to be a pretty low demographic on the charts of those infected.

I've been going about assuming this girl was infected. Perhaps she is. She was a street whore, as I found out, the very bottom of the barrel as far as scummy goes. There's no telling how many guys she's been with before me. Probably a lot. However given these stats I would like to think the likelyhood of her carrying is pretty low.

Even if she was infected, given what I posted in my first post (my contact inside her was pretty short and did have some protection, even if not the best, she didn't ejaculate, I've already tested negative on all other STI screens) my chances of having contracted are pretty low.

That's a comforting thought.

However, until June comes and I can get that confirmed, this is still going to be a cloud over my head.

Found this posting online: http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/97340/HIV-Risk-In-Perspective--Why-You-Should-Fully-Expect-A-Negative-Result

Great read, really uplifted my spirits, until I read the part about street hookers being a much higher risk. So the 1 in a million doesn't apply to me. 1 in 100000 is still great results in my favor, provided everything in this article is scientifically sound. That one in a thousand chance of getting HIV from an infected person with one act of unprotected vaginal sex does sound a little too good to be true though.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by DathanielTDK (03/17/14 11:47 PM)

DathanielTDK
New User

#275726 - 03/18/14 02:21 PM

Slight update for today. I feel the biginning of a canker sore or cold sore coming on. Just on my top lip. I can't see it yet, but I can feel it tingling and sometimes burning. First noticed it last night and it brought on a tremendous anxiety attack.

I know canker sores and cold sores aren't that big of a deal, people get them all the time, especially when they're under stress. I've hardly ever gotten canker sores or cold sores though so I can't help but feel alarmed that I'm getting them now of all times.

Is it really true that when you're anxious and looking for particular symptoms you hope you don't get, your mind and your body can give them to you anyway even if you don't have anything?

It is now 10 days since my potential exposure. I've decided to seek counseling to help get through these anxiety issues, otherwise I'm going to tear myself appart from fear before I reach the second test in June.

crabmanModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/10/11
      #275727 - 03/18/14 03:57 PM

"I've been going about assuming this girl was infected. Perhaps she is. She was a street whore, as I found out, the very bottom of the barrel as far as scummy goes. There's no telling how many guys she's been with before me. Probably a lot. "

Really? Sure doesn't say a lot about you, your choices or character. After all you made the CHOICE to have sex with this woman and now you have only nasty things to say about her....

As far as you are going about figuring out your chances. It's bogus. That 'street hooker' could be clean as a whistle, while the last 'nice' girl you were with was a bubbling mess of HIV with a high viral load. It is never the person. It is ALWAYS the activity. An activity you freely chose to indulge in.

So quit blaming the woman to try an alleviate your guilt. Just makes you come off as one of those slimy guys that can't take responsibility for their own actions. You know the Mama's boy type.

DathanielTDK
New User

#275728 - 03/18/14 04:14 PM

Crabman what you say is true and I freely admit that. In fact more than you know.

I've come clean with honesty with everyone else I've talked to including family about the hookup, might as well here too. The truth is she was a street walker and I did pick her up. She didn't look druggy at a glance, she actually looked halfway decent. Does that mean much? Not at all. I realized that the risk for them was much higher than other girls. It was stupid, it was gross, it was pathetic. I realize this, and my apologies for being dishonest.

Like you say, I'm looking at this from a statistical view because the chances some of these are printing help give me a sense of hope that I didn't catch, which is something I really really need at this point.

Perhaps that's the wrong thing to do though as you say, because it's just eating at my anxiety and creating more issues. You are totally right though, it was my choice and I feel angry with myself for partaking in it. Not trying to deny that at all. I'm just trying to get through the next few months in any way I can with my sanity intact.

Again, sorry.

Edited by DathanielTDK (03/18/14 04:23 PM)

crabmanModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/10/11
      #275732 - 03/18/14 08:25 PM

No. Pretty sure what I had to say when right over your head.

As much as I hate to put some misogynist at ease. Your risk was 5 in 10,000 if you had unprotected sex with a woman with HIV. While your condom might not have been ideal, it's not like it did not perform some protection.

So quit dissing the woman for your own problems, grow a pair and realize that your risk isn't so special. Just remember there would be no 'street walkers' if their wasn't a demand from hard up men that can't get laid any other way.

DathanielTDK
New User

#275738 - 03/18/14 09:51 PM

I see what your saying now and my apologies if my use of "street walker" used as something derogatory was offensive. I'm not a mysonginist, I'm just quoting stats from webstats that suggest that such women are more likely to be the ones to carry disease because they're also more likely to be addicted to drugs, prostitution's just their means of suppoting their habits.

I just had a conversation with a friend who brought up the point that some of them are just out to do what they can to support their lives. It's entirely possible this girl was one of those. She didn't strike me as a drug addict and she insisted I wear protection, so it's likely she was trying to take care of herself. I'm just quoting from websites that dictate that street prostitutes are "the lowest of the low" but if that offends you then I'll stop.

I do appreciate your honesty in my chances though.

Again, apologies for sounding like a dick.

Edited by DathanielTDK (03/18/14 10:12 PM)

DathanielTDK
New User

#275757 - 03/20/14 03:20 PM

Perhaps this is the wrong place to post this, but I just want to talk about it. I know what crab says is true, there's nothing special about my encounter, hundreds or thousands of guys have been in similar situations as mine and the number of those who've actually contracted something is likely a single digit percent. I realize this.

However the idea of that single digit percent is still slightly unnerving. Today is 12 days post exposure, which I think is within the window (usually two weeks to a month after) where early signs of infection can start showing.

Yesterday I got pain in the right side of my neck, going down from just behind and below the ear and down to the base of the neck. Throbbing pain that came and went at random. Today that pain's gone. Never felt any signs of swollen anything, but it put me in an anxiety binge through the night and I was constantly poking at my neck areas looking for something swollen.

Bad idea, as it turns out, as today I do have a little bit of rawness in my throat area and something, like a buildup of gunk, in my throat. Alot of the time this has been a precursor to a sore throat for me, other times it's just an annoying lump in my throat. This time it's just another stress inducer brought on my something else that caused stress.

I guess this is what my doctor, my folks, friends, and family all mean that I can make myself sick by being overanxious. I guess you really can feel every symptom that you have a dread over just by dreading them.

anotherday
Regular

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #275758 - 03/20/14 09:21 PM

What are MY thoughts!?! I think your an idiot! Best you go read that little web article you posted here again, your missing some points! Your putting so many odds in your favour that you never contracted HIV or some other STD/STI, I guess that means you could never be struck by lightening, win a lottery, get in a car accident .... because your special!

Not to defend the prostitution industry, but as you mention "She was a street whore, as I found out, the very bottom of the barrel as far as scummy goes" ... well you know what just lands below that barrel, the guys that pay for these services!

If you are a number cruncher, and your reference to that article seems to say that is how you set your mind at ease is with numbers, MOST prostitutes go for regular testing, insist on protection (if not what they carry on them but atleast in having their "trick or john" having his own), because they have a service business that is paying their bills or even just their addictions. Some support kids, family members, buy food, pay rent or a mortgage ... alot of times that same woman that sits across from you on the bus wearing a nice business suit, could be a prostitute!

You've dug yourself into a very deep hole on this forum already, so please don't dig yourself deeper by responding to this and just understand ... if this encounter is worrying you so much, go get tested, wait for your tests, show some respect to ALL women and quit surfing the web crunching stats to justify what you did is more her fault than yours.

The most disturbing part of your post is not you possiby contracting HIV from this lady, but knowing that you stiffed her of the 60 bucks ... now that's scummy!!!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

DathanielTDK
New User

#275761 - 03/21/14 12:15 AM

Actually I didn't stiff her of the $60, that part was me being dishonest as well. She was an up and true honest street prostitute and I would like to say again, apologies for all of my "bottom of the barrel scummy dirty" comments. They were uncalled for and gross and out of line on my part.

Is this her fault? Not at all. Not in the slightest. I get that. It was my decision to let her into my char, it was my choice to unzip, it was my condom. Everything that happened that night can be placed solely on me.

So to all those who I offended with those comments, again, my apologies, and also from being dishonest about the encounter.

So I didn't take your advice about not responding. If I dug myself deeper in this forum, ok, but I wanted to make that bit clear. I'll take your advice now though because this is a forum for people who want to talk about their potential exposures. We're past that point, the die is cast, we'll see how it lands in eleven weeks. I'll be moving to anxiety help forums now.

Thank you all for your honesty.

Edited by DathanielTDK (03/21/14 12:29 AM)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2928

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3