Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Infectious fluids
      #27520 - 01/28/02 06:10 PM

#1 Blood
#2 Semen
#3 Saliva
#4 Sweat

Its all documented go find it for yourselves.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Infectious fluids new
      #27527 - 01/28/02 07:55 PM

Sweat is NOT infectious. It does not contain the virus. People cannot get HIV from sweat. While saliva does contain minute amounts, it is not enough to infect someone.

Since you challenged us to go find the documentation for ourselves, I did, just not what would support your theory.

I will make your life a little easier by including some links 4 links from here at The Body and one Q&A from Dr. Gallant at John Hopkins.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q59272.qna

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionSexual/Q92894.qna

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Testing/Q55552.qna

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Other/Q49752.qna

Question:
I know this sounds rediculous considering all the information that is out there about AIDS, however, my brother claims that there is a lady who wrote a book that claims she has governmental proof that AIDS can be contracted via sweat, urine, and even by shaking an infected persons hand. I don't believe him, but he claims this person has "evidence" and that physicians are not being properly instructed regarding AIDS contraction and prevention. Of course this woman will not disclose this information unless you buy her book. My brother also claims that condoms don't actually prevent STD and HIV transmission. He claims that the AIDS molecules are smaller than the condom molecules and thus can get through a latex condom. He claims they are only effective for preventing pregnancy. I do know that there are disclaimers on condom packages that say that condoms are not 100% effective due to incorrect usage, inconsistent usage, and other defects, but do they really work as barriers for disease prevention? I tried to tell him that if that were the case then there would be more cases of the disease world wide and the result would resemble the black plague. Please help me to educate my conspiracy-theorist brother!!

Thank you

Answer:
Gullible people like your brother are usually pretty hard to educate. They’re much more likely to pay attention to some crack-pot selling top secret information than to the weight of two decades of accumulated scientific evidence, and common sense rarely even enters the picture. Be wary of anyone bearing a theory that you have to pay money to read. Respectable data are always disseminated widely and free of charge in the scientific literature.

Condoms work when they’re used properly. Studies have shown extremely low rates of transmission among serodiscordant couples (one positive, one negative) when condoms are used consistently. There’s no such thing as an “AIDS molecule” or a “condom molecule.” The HIV virus does not pass through condoms. The size of the virus is not the issue. HIV is transmitted through infected semen, and if semen is blocked by a condom, then so is HIV transmission.

If people could be infected by shaking hands, then we would be seeing a serious epidemic among heterosexual businessmen. That's the kind of reasoning that I'm referring to when I talk about "common sense." You don't need an HIV expert to draw such a conclusion for you if you're using some fraction of your brain.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27535 - 01/29/02 12:17 AM

Documented in your mind maybe.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27552 - 01/29/02 10:35 AM

when I read the first message I said ohh $hit..
becauz I have hyperhidrosis(it means excessive sweating) and I might be a walking infector

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2218

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3