Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Nurse1986

Reged: 01/29/14
Dirty needlestick at work. Pregnant. Worried sick.
      #275130 - 01/29/14 08:19 PM

On 12/19 I stuck myself with a dirty needle after giving an IM injection. The patient is a teenager with no "high risks" and agreed to an hiv test. After three agonizing days; his test came back negative. I mentioned this to my OB and she said I will have to wait until the three month mark to see if I am truly negative. This gave me such bad anxiety! That's 6 weeks from now! I am harming my baby by being so stressed out with the possibility of having hiv. I thought my risk was low. Please help me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Dirty needlestick at work. Pregnant. Worried sick. new
      #275131 - 01/29/14 08:27 PM

I am so sorry that you are under all this stress. The fact the teenager tested negative is an excellent sign. Yes,the patient may have been in the window, but highly unlikely.

Test now. Most people that are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. Even a couple of the doctors on The Body have stated they haven't seen a negative at 6 weeks turn to a positive by 3 months.

The 3 months is set to catch everyone, which includes people with immune suppression issues such as chemotherapy patients or those that take immune suppressing drugs due to a transplant. So a negative at this point is an excellent indicator that you will remain negative by the time you take your 3 month conclusive test.

Take some deep breaths.

sillygirl2014

Reged: 01/15/14
      #275148 - 01/30/14 08:46 AM

Your story has brought a tear to my eye.

But on the positive side of things the patient tested negative which is a really good sign.

Test now to ease your mind and if negative am sure it will be negative in the next 6 weeks.

In the mean time take a deep breath babes.

Try some breathing exercises , yoga, etc

Your going to be ok and so is your unborn child. Xxxx

Nurse1986

Reged: 01/29/14
      #275231 - 02/03/14 01:00 PM

So I went today to do a 7 week test to help myself relax and the clinic would not do it. They stated with pregnancy hormones I may get a false positive or a false negative. Guess I'm waiting 5 more weeks until my ob will order it.

sillygirl2014

Reged: 01/15/14
      #275232 - 02/03/14 01:55 PM

When you are pregnant they test for hiv at 3 stages of pregnancy along with all other blood tests.

Take a deep breath babes and remember the lad was negative ana am more than sure you and your baby will be ok also.

You are bound to worry as your hormones will be everywhere which is normal. I remember when i was pregnant one minute i would be laughing and the next minute i would burt into tears for no reason at all, the joys and journy of pregnacy hunny xx

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1479

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3