Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Kingsean53

Reged: 01/28/14
Massaging someone Hiv+
      #275101 - 01/28/14 04:44 PM

I have a friend who recently tested positive for Hiv, as a friend I try my best to be there for him. Last week he asked me to apply some medication on his back. As a friend I said yes. However, he did not have any gloves, before I applied the cream I visually looked at his back to make sure he wasn't bleeding. I didn't see any visual cuts on his back but I did see a lot black spots but again no active bleeding or cuts. I checked my palms for cuts and didn't see any open cuts. Even though I did not visually see any blood on both ends I'm going crazy out of my mind . ...1. Is there any chance if he did have a pimple, sore, minor cut that I didn't notic put me at risk????? 2.Has there ever been a case like this when someone tested positive from a body rub?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Massaging someone Hiv+ new
      #275103 - 01/28/14 04:54 PM

This is a no risk situation. HIV is not transmitted via casual contact. It's transmitted via unprotected sex and sharing needles.

Kingsean53

Reged: 01/28/14
      #275108 - 01/28/14 08:07 PM

What if he had a sore that popped/reopen? I'm just really nervous.

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #275109 - 01/28/14 08:31 PM

Sorry you are so nervous over this non-risk. Again, people just don't become infected from this type of thing. People become infected from unprotected sex and sharing needles. Neither of which applies in your situation.

1) Even if there was any blood, obviously is would have been such a small amount, you didn't even see it. You would need copious amounts of blood going directly into your body. This is the same reason people don't get infected from fingering with a hang nail.

2) HIV becomes unviable quickly when exposed to outside environments. It can't live in air, temp changes, changes in humidity. Which doesn't really matter since again, invisible blood doesn't transmit HIV.

3) It can't infected through intact skin. Again, you didn't have any large cuts, and of course if you did, you would be bleeding out not in.

4) I've never seen a 'what-if' every really happen. You can 'what-if' all you want, but it doesn't change the fact this was a non-risk.

It was nice of you to help your friend, but your fear over this non-issue isn't going to help him. It's this type of unfounded fear that feeds into the stigma of HIV that makes the lives of those of us with HIV just that much harder.

sillygirl2014

Reged: 01/15/14
      #275145 - 01/30/14 08:13 AM

I really don't think you can catch HIV this way.

Just think if you could - well wouldn't most of the population be positive.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2032

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3