Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
CharlieTrotter

Reged: 12/29/13
Time between infection and the CBC to show low WBC and Lymphocytes numbers
      #274592 - 12/29/13 07:27 AM

Hi

I'm an individual that has frequented commercial sex workers over the past couple of years (in between girlfriends). Each and every time I have used a condom. The best of my knowledge, none of the condoms have ever broken.

In July I had a CBC, the results were normal.
In October I had a CBC, the results were normal.

As of a week ago, I found myself in an interesting situation, causing me to write to you.

I was suffering from a minor cold which involved
-bodyaches
-chills
-a low-grade fever
-dry cough.

I assumed this was the onset of the flu or a round of a cold and proceeded to manage it out one normally does; using fluids, electrolytes and plenty of rest.

Three days suffering from this low-grade fever and the above facts, I noticed I was struggling to go to the bathroom urinate. I also noticed I was constipated. The constipation was so bad I was only able to post laxatives strain out anal mucous.

Because of the above symptoms, I suspected I might have a digestive track issue as well as some sort of infection and chose to visit the public hospitals here in the Philippines . I was admitted with the doctor suspecting either a form of gut cancer or bird flu.

During my time in hospital a CBC was conducted. I was able to provide them a stool mucus sample care of an enema. Liver panel was also conducted. Hepatitis A,B,C tests were also run.

The liver panel came back with a low ALT-which was suggestive of either malnutrition or hepatitis C. However the hepatitis C test came back negative. I'm pretty sure I don't suffer from malnutrition.

The CBC came back with the following:
Low WBC
Low lymphocytes count

Nothing else was out of order on the CBC

From start of symptoms until the end, I maintained a low-grade fever of 36.6 - 36.7°C for total of 5 days. Hospital treated the infection and fever with Cravit, which resulted in clear phlegm sputum being coughed up.

My three nights in hospital did result in me waking up with a bit of sweat on the back of my head and on my neck. I DID NOT wake up drenched in Sweat

Prior to the illness symptoms I weighed about 75kg. Because of my inability to pee or have bowl motion I ballooned to 78kg. Post discharge from Hospital, I found myself at 73.2kg - so no real noticable weight loss.

Because of a low-grade fever, the low WBC the low lymphocyte count the doctor started asking me questions about my sexual activity.

I answered honestly, but refused to take the HIV test there. Instead, I am opting to take the anonymous rapid test this coming Tuesday. If the rapid test is positive, I will move to do the Western blot.

Up Front, I know I'm no saint. But I do have to ask the following question to all of you.

My questions are:
How long post-exposure does it take for a CBC to show symptoms relating to HIV?

To clarify the question, how long post-exposure does it take for the WBC and the lymphocyte count to drop for the doctors to start asking this question?

I ask the above because I'm trying to determine the window of when I was exposed. I did have two steady girlfriends over the course of the last four years. I'm trying to determine if I have potentially exposed them to it, or did I receive it from them, or did I get it from my negligence and stupidity of frequenting commercial sex workers.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Time between infection and the CBC to show low WBC and Lymphocytes numbers new
      #274593 - 12/29/13 09:06 AM

It isn't uncommon for WBC and lymphocytes to be a bit out of whack when you've been ill as you stated you were when you went into see the doctor. You also cannot use those test results to establish infection OR length of infection. A general blood test does not look specifically at the CD4 cell count, so while the other type of lymphocytes might be bringing your total down, your CD4 could be just fine.

Your first step is to get tested for HIV. Your history would indicate that you will most likely get a negative result. That result is conclusive as long as it's been 3 months since you had any unprotected sex.

If you should perhaps test positive, it is unlikely you will ever know exactly when you became infected. There is no blood test that is going to give you that information.

CharlieTrotter

Reged: 12/29/13
Re: Time between infection and the CBC to show low WBC and Lymphocytes numbers new
      #275923 - 04/08/14 05:42 AM

Hello again

Realized I didn't reply.
Manned up and went over to the Hong Kong AIDS foundation to do a free HIV Rapid Test on New Year's Eve. The test showed negative.

That was one hella of scary New Year's Eve event.

Still.. there is a feeling that something is wrong. The doctors involved with my Low Lymphocyte and multi-day fever incident were pushing for me to do the Western Blot (even though I got rapid test).

Have recently had a breakout of 4 canker sores, and now have thrush (only on the back of the tongue), with a sore throat.

Is it worth repeating the test again? Have been generally healthy since the december incident. Have gone monastic and not dared to fool around with anyone.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3595

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3