Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
marie093
New User

Reged: 09/21/13
RNA, PCR TEST
      #274100 - 09/30/13 06:54 AM

I posted my risk previously:

FREAK ACCIDENT...
I was at a bar tonight and one of the mexican kitchen workers cut open his finger and somehow his blood splashed all over me (I didnt realize until it was dried...) I went into the bathroom and there were dots all over my shirt and a dot on my face close to my lip. I am not sure it got in my mouth but i am assuming it did splash in my mouth and I didnt notice it.
I am so scared freaking out that I contracted HIV this way. PLEASE HELP....

Now I went to an infectious disease doctor and did not think it was necessary to give me PEP treatment. He said to test in 3 months but if i get symptoms and cannot wait, to take the RNA, realtime PCRt quantitative test. I am wondering, is it worth it to take this test? he said there arent false positives but i am reading online that there are. I am terrified to take it because I know my results will be positive...any advice or experience with this test?

A week after exposure i am having flu like symptoms...vomiting/fever/body aches everywhere....

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker
Veteran

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: RNA, PCR TEST new
      #274103 - 09/30/13 10:09 AM

While I appreciate that you are scared, your doctor was trying to tell you this simple fact; you had No risk for HIV. If you wish to continue on like you did you're going to pay the price. Right now it's the overwhelming cost of a pcr test.

Later that price will raise to more. While you are reading online why not pay attention to how many people you read about worried about the same type of exposure return to say they have positively tested for HIV. You will be hard pressed to find any. Yet they spend months, loads of money, and waste relationships all in a quest to find out everyone was right they had no risk.

Good luck.

marie093
New User

Reged: 09/21/13
Re: RNA, PCR TEST new
      #274188 - 10/10/13 07:55 PM

Kicker, thank you for your reply.
I caved in and got the "HIV-1 RNA, RealTime PCRt Quantitative Assay" test done. I won't have the results until monday but I am freaking out reading that this test has a high rate of false positives. Is that true???
Convinced it will be positive..

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 739

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3