Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

False Negative???
      #27374 - 01/25/02 10:42 AM

I have had all the symptoms from swollen glands to aching muscles but tested negative with home access. Is this reliable. If I have full blown aids would it show a negative??? I am very scared and worried.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: False Negative??? new
      #27381 - 01/25/02 11:31 AM

What is "full blown aids"? Is it different than "half blown aids"?

I assume by "full blown aids" you mean advanced hiv disease. Yes, the standard elisa used by home access would still be accurate. I believe there was one single reported case of someone with advanced disease testing negative on a standard elisa, and the worried well have really run off with it. Also, if you had hiv disease this far progressed, you would be in intensive care, not writing from your computer.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27382 - 01/25/02 11:43 AM

THank you for your humorous and relieving response. I had seen where someone said with aids you would test negative on elisa because your body stops producing antibodies and i was concerned.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27383 - 01/25/02 12:00 PM

I'm glad you are relieved...glad my attempt at humor did not offend you too :) I've had aids for many years, so I try to view things from a lighter perspective. Anyway, stay well and good luck.

NeverInfected
Unregistered

#27410 - 01/26/02 02:40 AM

Why are there "false negatives" and no "false positives" seems to me that if there is one there should be the other. Its almost as if people are happy when it positive, meaning its a negative thing than they are when its negative meaning a postive thing. What a mind [censored] "aids science". When you can convince people that negative means positive you got them.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27413 - 01/26/02 11:05 AM

Its just that I had every symptom and not feeling well at all. I had everything from swollen nodes to being so weak and aching and I don't know why. I have been terrified that it is aids. I am happy as hell if its not but now I don't have a clue what is wrong with me. You you are ill you get to a point you don't care what it is you just want a diagnosis so you can deal with it. I'm going to have another test done at the doc just to make sure.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #27439 - 01/27/02 12:18 PM

What makes you think there are no false positives? PCR DNA's are a very sensitive test and are known to produce false positives. That's why they aren't recommended for initial diagonosis.

As far as people being unhappy with a non-reactive result, what is seen on this board is not necessarily a true sampling of the general population of people that test negative. Most accept their test results and move on with their life. They have no need to seek out a board to help them cope.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: False Positives??? new
      #27460 - 01/27/02 05:04 PM

Until they have "unprotected sex" or are exposed to "risk factors" and then the whole tourturous cycle begins again. Until they finally test hiv anti-body positive (which in all other virus means immunity) then few question wheather there positive results are false.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2275

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3