Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
ruby888
New User

Reged: 08/07/13
hiv 2 seroconversion
      #273332 - 08/07/13 01:35 PM

Please help me in understanding test accuracy. How accurate is hiv 1 western blot and hiv 2 immunoblot 2 years after unprotected sex. My partner conitues to have symptoms inspite of me testing following tests 2 yrs after multiple, unprotected, vaginal sex in a relationship, i developed red,flat, non itchy rash on face, chest and back. My tests were from online testing sites . hiv 1/2 EIA, hiv icma 1/0/2, hiv-1 dna pcr, hiv-1 rna qualitative, hiv 2 dna/rna pcr, hiv duo test. Is there a possibility i missed any strain/type hiv? what abt seroconversion hiv 2 as my ex-partner was from India. I am worried as my current partner is experiencing symptoms. Pls help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator
Veteran

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: hiv 2 seroconversion new
      #273346 - 08/09/13 04:18 PM

Has your current partner ever been tested?

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

ruby888
New User

#273354 - 08/09/13 07:10 PM

Thank you for reply. Yes, tested negative.is there a possibility i missed any type/strain from all the testingg. i went to labcorp and quest through online testing sites. Pls help, very worried. any idea abt window period for hiv -2? iam worried because i developed a rash few wks after unprotected sex- it was diffuse, red, non itchy, flat, patches on chest,upper back, face. If rash is from ARS why did my antibody test negative after 2 yrs.Pls answer.

kicker
Veteran

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #273357 - 08/09/13 08:11 PM

You're assuming your rash was from ars not that it was as proven by your negative test results after 2yrs.

The tests aren't failing to pick it up you are failing to accept that you are negative. Big difference.

ruby888
New User

#273359 - 08/09/13 09:00 PM

Kicker,
Thank you for replying. But there are no case studies reg hiv-2. i called cdc they told me that they do not know window period hiv-2. is this not scary. years ago type 2 was confined to africa and people still assume it still confined to africa, it moght not and doctors in western world do not care abt it. hope we had duo test that also checks for antigen for type 2. i totally understand the reason iam still concerned and shocked myself as my new partner developed fever, 2 wks after unproted sex and developed oral thrush later. i tested again. i went to online sites due to insurance issues and went to quest and labcorp. i had abt 10 antibody tests, pcr tests repeated twice. Just praying to God to help me in this matter. Thank you for replying.

kicker
Veteran

#273363 - 08/09/13 09:34 PM

Amazing that you had the CDC on the phone and didn't get an answer to all your questions that you needed to come here. Must have been a newbie on the other end. Unfortunately you and whomever you spoke to at the CDC are wrong.

Hiv2 has the same exact window period as hiv1. 4-6 weeks before it shows up on any test used today. In 1996 they thought the window period was longer because they didn't have the antibody test for it readily available, but that length difference was only a week or two not years in 1996.

Again you don't want to accept the negative results and be happy about it so I suggest talking to a therapist that can help you understand why. Good luck.

ruby888
New User

#273421 - 08/13/13 12:20 PM

Kicker,
My expartner had multiple sexual partners in past. I found out later and he received blood transfusion in india. I found that toom later when asked he said he had dengue. when I searched online it is one of differntial of ARS. it also presents as ARS. he had low platelets and received platelet transfusion in India. I am scared that he was not honest to me and I am missing any strain that is common in India and not in usa as my testing was done in Usa.

crabmanModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/10/11
      #273428 - 08/13/13 06:04 PM

Seriously? HIV 2 has been around for quite awhile now. Testing covers both I and II. But if you are in the mood to fight for your right to be HIV positive, who am I to stop you.

kicker
Veteran

#273437 - 08/14/13 12:21 PM

According to your own admission you took at least two DNA/RNA tests. Do you honestly believe that the dna/rna is going to change so drastically between different subtypes?

Let me explain something that I think you are lacking understanding of. When somethings dna/rna makeup is looked at it either is or isn't something.

For example if you took dna or even rna from a human, no matter what dna/rna test you run it through the results aren't going to show up as a dog. Doesn't matter if the dna/rna came from an Asian, Caucasian, African, Middle Eastern, Eskimo, or what have you. Those would be the subtypes, the races, but we still know it's human just not what kind of human till we test down to the markers.

Same goes with HIV if it's dna/rna show it's a an HIV entity/cell then it doesn't matter if it's subtype A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H, or I. It's still HIV. If it changed so much that the test doesn't pick it up then it is no longer HIV but something totally different. Which doesn't happen in nature. Subtypes don't alter the base dna protocols for it's being, just what flavor/color/race it is.

You can't fool DNA/RNA testing that is why it is used for criminal trials and paternity. To believe the rules change just because you want or think they could doesn't make it so.

So again YOU ARE THE ONE WHO CAN'T ACCEPT THEIR NEGATIVE STATUS. You are doing it to yourself, you have beyond a shadow of any reasonable doubt proved that you are negative, if you want to insist that you are positive do it on your own time, not ours. We are here to help people that want help, not argue whether or not they have some alien virus that can't be detected as HIV but still is HIV. It's just ridiculous, and a really dull argument no matter what situation you are in.

As well you want to say he had multiple partners, but if you are having sex with two guys you too my dear have had multiple partners. So you are just as risky to have sex with as he is. And when you throw that HIGH and MIGHTY stance that you are or were clean, know this I don't believe you and nor should anyone else.

So why not take a step back and take a look at your own behavior, quit being a victim about something that never even happened unless you count your delusions over it, and go see a therapist so you can work out your apparent subscription to "I want the test to show I am positive so I don't have to deal with what is really going on" monthly.

Let the name calling begin as it always does with individuals like yourself after I tell it like it is. And go!

ruby888
New User

#273531 - 08/22/13 05:04 PM

the pcr tests for hiv type 2 are poorly designed as lower limit of detection is 500 copies. when you look at quest/labcorp websites they say the test is sensitive and specific. how can a test be very accurate if it cant detcet copies less than 500. i think labs/doctors in western world dont care abt type 2 as they assume it is very rare. the test can come as false negative in someone who has lesst han 500 copies and test negative on antibody test as type 2 replicates slowly. what can you say abt this? I am not arguing here but if youca n explain above testing. Thank you for your time in helping others.

kicker
Veteran

#273532 - 08/22/13 05:16 PM

You're absolutely right you're not arguing just finding every reason to doubt your tests based on your (albeit limited) perceptions of the who, what, where, when, and how.

You're refusal is no more grounds for argument than arguing with a tribesman over the idea of a round earth.

Here's my advice to you. Live like your dying, because you will make sure you believe you are as you have already done.

ruby888
New User

#273564 - 08/24/13 05:42 AM

Please help me. I am not arguing here. Are there any special tests to detect P or N strain? I read online few min ago P strain detected in woman in France that is not detceted by routine testing. Pls help me. I am struggling to find an answer. Is there a possibility western blot would miss if I have rare strain such as P /N strain? what other tests shall I take? i took DUO test from labcorp but that is 30 mons after exposre. Is there a possibility that due to low p24 levels the test is false negative? I cant find any evidence if that detects N and P strains. Thank you

sickofitall
New User

Reged: 07/20/13
      #273565 - 08/24/13 12:58 PM

I'm no expert on the subject... Don't claim to be... But what I will tell you is RIGHT NOW I have a rash that is on my leg neck shoulder and forearm. Ive had swollen lymph nodes, joint pain, sore throat , and various other things in the past 3 months... I have continued to test negative. BUT due to Epstein Barr I may have M.E. so since I do not currently have a PHD.... I've chosen to trust what the doctors say. You should too. Trust me... If there was some strange rare strand of hiv that the doctors couldn't test for we would've heard about it by now and people would be flipping out and locking their 16 year old daughters in the basement for fear they might get it too. So... In short... TRUST WHAT THE DOCTORS SAY... AND MOVE ON TO OTHER OPTIONS!

*sidenote*kicker... You are a genius!! Thanks for all the great posts in my time of need!! You eased my mind on many occasions... I'd show up under your window holding a boom box in a John Cusak "say anything" kind of moment if I could. You're awesome! And once again.... Thank you!

ruby888
New User

#273678 - 09/01/13 02:47 PM

One last question,
Shall I go for bDNA test. will that make a difference as I had QUALITATIVE hiv 1 rna pcr and hiv1 dna pcr. I never had viral load tests. Pls answer. Why did you say I am risk to others even after my tests were negative? I am confused.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4198

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3