Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
caman1313

Reged: 08/04/13
Worried about possible exposure
      #273313 - 08/05/13 06:13 PM

I engaged in open mouth kissing with a girl at a bar that I didn't know very well. My gums bleed when I brush and I'm worried about potential infection. I kissed the girl maybe 5 times throughout the night. The next morning I woke up paranoid I could have gotten HIV. What if she wasn't aware she had HIV and her viral load was high. Around 8 days after I got an irritated and red throat along with a stuffed up nose. Also, A day or so latter, I noticed a slight area of red blotches on my lower neck and upper chest. Around day 12 I got cramping pains in my thigh muscles. Thes pains went from my hips down the posterior muscles of my thights. Mainly felt this when sitting. have never had pain like this (could this be rhabdomyolysis from acute HIV). Also, I have read that leg pain is a common symptom with acute HIV. I have read everywhere that there is no risk from kissing. However, what if there was blood present. This girl was from San Francisco mission area which has a higher concentration of HIV. I am worried to death I had an exposure. Lastly, I did feel very tired during this period of time and I swore my neck, armpits and groin were hurting or achy. Could all of this be stress and anxiety or should I truly be worried? I have since gotten back with the one girl I've been with for the last six years. She is clean and I worried to begin being intimate again, since I don't want to infect her if I have gotten HIV.

I also have gingivitis. I worry since occasionally I press on my gum and a small amount of blood will show on the paper towel. There has only been one reported case to the CDC for open mouth kissing HIV transmission and I would feel horrible if I was number two.

Do I need to test for HIV?

Also, I have a receding gum on one of my lower front teeth. The root is exposed slightly. Maybe 4mm. It has been this way for a few years now and the gum does get irritated from time to time. Does this change anything?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Worried about possible exposure new
      #273314 - 08/05/13 07:09 PM

First and foremost. I deleted your other post on the exact same topic. Please do not repeatedly post the same question just because you didn't get a response quick enough. I personally don't like wasting the time I set aside to be on here for maintance. Thanks.

As far as your question. Over 64 million people have been infected with HIV since they began tracking it. Of that @34-36 million are still around. Out of that you read of ONE case, where if you read the actual research notes you would've found out that the dr interviewing the subjects didn't really believe it was the case but listed it anyway just to be safe.

So 1 out 64 million. That would be a 0.0000015625% chance out of 100. That's worse odds than most lotto games a lot worse odds. That would be the real world example of finding a ruby red piece of sand in @6 cubic feet of sand. (Six bags of sand) if you did at all by going though grain by grain.

Plus there are dozens upon dozens of posts with this exact question answered dozens upon dozens of times the same way on this forum. No chance what so ever is the general idea of them all.

This site has a whole section dedicated to prevention. I suggest reading that to find out what an actual exposure is and how to protect yourself and others. Like the saying goes an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. Spend time preventing it rather than looking for it. You will find that your "symptoms" will go away after you are able to combat the "worried" thoughts with solid facts.

Good luck and if that doesn't satisfy your nerves, go down to your local clinic and get tested. Takes 15-20 minutes and you will know for sure.

caman1313

#273319 - 08/06/13 11:41 AM

I was just worried because of the similar ars like symptoms. I didn't feel sick. Just had the sore throat, headache, fatigue, lymph node aches. And the stabbing pains in my thigh muscles. The muscle pains are what freaked me out the most.

kicker

#273322 - 08/06/13 01:01 PM

ARS symptoms match the symptoms commonly found in over 2,000 different ailments. ARS description is a catch all term it isn't SPECIFIC to HIV UNTIL you test positive. Then you can call it ARS, otherwise pick any of the other couple thousand illnesses out there and I bet your symptoms match in some shape or form.

HIV pops up the most, because search engines base their results by the information people click on the most. Let's be honest most people pick the first couple of links to find answers, because it's to much trouble to scroll through. Since there are countless websites with the word "HIV" and "ARS" of course any search you do that doesn't include paging through the hundred of thousand possible matches is going to show that you have HIV, because you didn't bother to page through to find something else that matches.

It's a very common folly that brings most people here when they don't need to be. The reason is because they lack the basic understanding of HIV and assume they have a complete comprehension of the basics. (How it's transmitted, who gets it, what the symptoms are, etc)

Now again here is my advice. Read the prevention/transmission section of this website.

caman1313

#273334 - 08/07/13 06:36 PM

Thanks, I feel better about the situation now. I last tested about 4 yrs ago and since then have only been with one long term partner. Should I even worry about testing over the French kissing incident?

kicker

#273335 - 08/07/13 08:21 PM

Not over a kiss no. But as a general rule everyone who is sexually active should test regularly. Partners cheat, people lie or don't know, shit happens. It doesn't hurt and takes a few minutes.

I suggest you and whomever you are with get tested together so that you both know for a fact each others status. That way when you get a cold or something else you don't go screaming, "It's HIV!"

caman1313

#273353 - 08/09/13 06:08 PM

Just curious. Why does the CDC even list open mouth kissing as a risk if theoretically it is a zero risk activity?

kicker

#273356 - 08/09/13 08:07 PM

Because anything above a 0% chance needs to be listed by their standards which is in fact above and beyond life standards.

I already listed the probability of infection, if you want to believe you're at risk so be it, but no one here is going to play the "what if" game with you.

caman1313

#273360 - 08/09/13 09:08 PM

Kicker, thanks for all the replys. I don't mean to engage in what if games. I was just trying to put all of this behind me.

kicker

#273365 - 08/09/13 09:41 PM

Then go get tested. Simple, painless, definitive. Searching the web and finding information to support your fears isn't going to help.

caman1313

#273366 - 08/09/13 10:12 PM

I will go test to know for sure. I also know the chances and odds through kissing. However, I am scared due to those symptoms I explained. They seemed so like possible ars. The leg muscle pains worried me the most.

caman1313

#273382 - 08/10/13 06:06 PM

Is there even a chance I will test positive? I'm going to test. However, I am scared of possibly getting a positive result.

caman1313

#273396 - 08/11/13 12:17 PM

Is there even a chance I will test positive? I'm so worried.

kicker

#273397 - 08/11/13 01:17 PM

Grow up and act like an adult that doesn't need permission to use the bathroom. You have been given the information you need and refuse to act on it. Which is fine you want to be a scared be scared just don't ask us to play along. It's time for you to move on though.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2671

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3