Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nurse at Planned Parenthood said test at 6 & 12mos
      #27327 - 01/24/02 12:13 PM

I have been visiting this forum and also doing alot of research and what I have learned is 3 mos is a very good and then 6 mos to be sure.
Went to Planned Parenthood yesterday took the Ora sure and the nurse said that It was good I was testing at 6 mos and its recomended to test again at 1 year
I thought maybe she was just trying to build up buisness but they only charged $25 for the test can't be that big a money maker.
Other than the conflicting advice they were very nice and saves you the hastle of drawing blood. I wil get my results in 10 days and it was anonymous.
One thing I cant understand is if its really so clear why there is such a debate over it. A good portion of the posts are about this.
Dilbert if you read this Im praying your right and thank for the research and taking the time
God Bless all

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

dumb new
      #27334 - 01/24/02 01:30 PM

1 year ?

Dilbert
Unregistered

Re: Nurse at Planned Parenthood said test at 6 & 12mos new
      #27335 - 01/24/02 02:04 PM

Not even the CDC are that conservative (1 year). Check out the CDC's own website where they post "The tests commonly used to detect HIV infection actually look for antibodies produced by your body to fight HIV. Most people will develop detectable antibodies within 3 months after infection, the average being 25 days. In rare cases, it can take up to 6 months. "

This is the link where the above quote is taken from http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq9.htm

As you know, there is a fair bit of support for 3 months being solid out there, and 6 months is conclusive by all standards I've seen, with the possible exception of where PEP or occupational scenarious (needlesticks) are involved.

Dr. Frascino states this in a recent post: "Alternatively, a negative ELISA at 6 months post-exposure is also considered proof you are not HIV-positive. " (Link: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Fatigue/Current/Q107892.qna)

I hope this helps put you at ease. A negative Orasure at 6 months is as good as it gets. Congrats!

God Bless!

Dilbert

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27336 - 01/24/02 02:08 PM

I had a nurse at my physicians office tell me it takes AT LEAST 3 months for antiboides to be detected. I didn't even go into it with her but I believe the professionals on this site more than I do her.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27340 - 01/24/02 04:10 PM

6 months and 1 year is what they said to people in 1985 when the test was new. Most people will have a positive serology within 3 months average is 21 days. Go read John Hopkin's Aids Service Publication.Yes I said 21 days this is what Expert Doctors have said on John Hopkin's site and I will take that as Gospel before anything else I read or hear anywhere.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27342 - 01/24/02 06:22 PM

The additionn to that is using third generation tests!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1629

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3