Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
arnold45

Reged: 07/05/13
Month long symptons have not subsided
      #272925 - 07/05/13 11:47 AM

Hello and thank you for your time. I received unprotected oral sex from a sex worker a bit over a month ago. Exactly one week after I developed a fever, sore throat, night sweats, cough, diarrhea, no appetite that lasted 2 weeks. The fever, cough, and stomach issues went away after that 2 weeks (3 weeks total after exposure.) However the sore throat and dry mouth along with coated tongue have continued for another 2 weeks now. In addition during these last 2 weeks I have had pain in my armpits that hasn't gone away.

At 2 weeks after exposure I took a 8 std test panel and was negative on all. At 25 days I took a HIV DNA PCR test through labcorp and was negative. I went to see a doctor and do not have strep.

I just have a bad feeling I am going to turn up positive on a standard antibody test. I have never had a sore throat for 4 weeks before and these other wierd symptoms.

Just looking for some feedback and how concerned I should be. My nerves were really bad for the first few weeks, but have been fine since receiving the negative dna pcr. But the pains continue and no doctor can explain them.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Month long symptons have not subsided new
      #272926 - 07/05/13 12:21 PM

I feel that you would be better off talking to a mental health professional about why you can't accept your results. The test you took is 99.99% accurate at 12 days. You may find talking to them relieves your symptoms. Unfortunately this board isn't set up to do that.

Good luck in finding out what is wrong, but HIV isn't the problem.

arnold45

Reged: 07/05/13
      #272930 - 07/05/13 02:19 PM

Thanks for the response. I will be looking into counseling.

I just have no explanation for the symptoms I have been experiencing and they happened at just the right time for every search result to tell me the only logical thing I could have is HIV. I literally had every one except the rash. I have been pretty calm the last week after getting the PCR test done, no real stress at all. Yet the symptoms continue and new ones are occuring.

Thanks again for your time, I will feel a little better when I take my antibody tests. I just read about some people who have tested neg on PCR but positive to antibody. The PCR test also came with a disclaimer that it was not to be used as confirmation as the test is for research use only.

Thanks again for the response it has helped me put some of my fear away.

EduardoRomero31

Reged: 07/08/13
      #272961 - 07/08/13 06:16 PM

I have a sore throat with swollen lymph nodes and cough but my difference is that my partner is HIV+ and they started 17 days after first insertive fellatio, I got tested for HIV at six weeks (02 antibody tests) and came back negative and it's not likely to change.

You have to inform better about what's risky for getting HIV. Higher risk is for unprotected anal intercourse then vaginal, oral sex (performing oral sex) is much lower risk but not risk free.

Be safe!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1431

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3