Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Helpme78

Reged: 05/12/13
Tested but have a question
      #272897 - 07/03/13 04:41 PM

After my risky exposure I was recently tested and it was negative. But it was eight weeks after exposure. I am male and had several unprotected vaginal encounters with a female of unknown status. Should I get tested again at 90 days or is that good enough?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Tested but have a question new
      #272899 - 07/04/13 12:20 AM

If your out having "unprotected" sex with anyone ... you need to have tests, regular tests. Don't start measuring the "90 days from exposure" stuff. If you had unprotected with one, risky or not, then you've been having it with others. It's not always the "unknown status" people that can pass you HIV or an STD ...
Your measuring things out, go at 90 days, go every 90 days ... especially if you are having unprotected sex ... vaginal, anal, whatever ... stay on the informed side, if not for yourself, then for the next person within those 90 days you might be having unprotected sex with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Tested but have a question new
      #272901 - 07/04/13 07:51 AM

An 8 week negative is great news. Most people infected will test positive by 6 weeks and so it's extremely unlikely that your result will change.

While repeated unprotected encounters with someone with HIV doesn't always end in infection as shown by long-term couples where one finds out they have HIV, yet their partner remained negative. However, increasing the number of unprotected encounters certainly increases your chances of getting infected. So I certainly recommend you go for that 3 month test which will be considered conclusive.

While I'm sure you have already figured this out. It's best to use protection until you are in a relationship and go with your partner to be tested together. People will lie about their status. Some people just don't know their status. The bottom line is that it's up to each person to guard their own health. It's no one else's responsibility.

Good luck with your test, but as I already said, a negative at 6 weeks and after is unlikely to change by 3 months.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 526

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3