Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Question on Antibody Detection
      #27277 - 01/22/02 04:08 PM

Hello all. 14 weeks ago, I went on a reckless spree...I'm not sure what was going through my mind but I had unprotected receptive oral sex with three men over a period of a month. None of these men ejaculated in my mouth and I don't know their HIV statuses.

12 weeks after the first experience, I tested negative for HIV. At this point, I was 8 and 9 weeks out the final two experiences. I'm currently awaiting a follow up test at 12 weeks after the last experience.

I've read several conflicting statements regarding the detection of HIV antibodies. I know that 3 months seems to be the real key but since I was essentially tested at 8 weeks and tested negative...how likely is it that antibodies would develop after 8 weeks?

I know contributors like Magnus say that in Sweden, there are no documented cases of people seroconverting after 8 weeks and RMK says that most people convert within 4 weeks. The New Mexico Aids Infonet located here on The Body states that one should wait 8 weeks before being tested...if it's good enough for New Mexico, should it be good enough for me??

I'm going crazy waiting for that 12 week moment when I can finally test and feel as though the results are somewhat conclusive. Should I feel at all confident based on my "8 week" results??

Thanks so much in advance for any information you can provide.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Question on Antibody Detection new
      #27278 - 01/22/02 04:11 PM

I am bi sexual and a IV drug user you had a zero risk dont stress.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27281 - 01/22/02 04:22 PM

I had a negative Elisa at 8 and 12 weeks after having receptive unprotected sex with a man who's status I don't know. I am going to wait til six months until I feel totally in the clear though.

Dilbert
Unregistered

#27283 - 01/22/02 04:30 PM

First, let me say that your results so far are very promising, but not 100% conclusive. If you want to be really sure at this point in time, get an antibody test and a HIV PCR test - at the same time. If both are negative, you're definitely in the clear, especially given the time frame. Beware though, the PCR can be expensive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27289 - 01/22/02 07:04 PM

Rest assured, you can be VERY confident in your 8 week negative. You may wan to test at 3 months just to calm your nerves ..... but you're out of the woods, my friend.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27301 - 01/23/02 08:32 AM

12 weeks is a very safe period so you won't have any doubt. After 8th week neagtive, I don't think you will have a different result.

Anonymous
Unregistered

NON REACTIVE ? new
      #27313 - 01/23/02 05:17 PM

Did you have a non reactive 8 weeker ? or a indetermate?
there is a huge difference because a NON reactive going to a positive after 8 weeks of the actual date of possible exposure is almost zero BUT a Indetermate 8 week there is a chance for it to go poz.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: NON REACTIVE ? new
      #27319 - 01/23/02 06:17 PM

It was definitely non-reactive!!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2141

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3