Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
scaredtoday

Reged: 06/24/13
high risk activity + symptoms the next day or two--risk?
      #272687 - 06/24/13 01:59 PM

Hi. I have read many answers and realize many people worry needlessly about activities that aren't really high risk (e.g., oral sex or protected sex). My risky behavior was indeed risky although I'm not sure how much. I am a woman and basically experimented for the first time with another woman. I performed oral sex on her. The problem is that at some point during the night, she started her period. She put in a tampon and I didn't perform oral again after the blood. BUT we fell asleep and awakened maybe 2-3 hours later. I forgot about her period and we started again. Oral again. I don't know if she had wiped away all blood (have no idea). But I have to assume it was at least possible that my mouth contacted her blood (and I have read that hiv can stay alive for a couple of hours outside body). I also performed annilingus and not to be very gross but something just didn't look right--she had basically a rim of skin or something on the outside of her anus. This was an otherwise beautiful woman so I didn't think much of it other than it was weird.

After this event, I learned that she engages in VERY high risk sexual encounters on a regular basis, to include sex clubs, fetish online accounts, and has been doing so for 8+ years. She was also just clearly not taking care of herself, seemed to be an alcoholic, so I feel sure that she does not get regularly tested.

So the next day I started to have a slight dry cough. By 2 or 3 days (not sure which), a sore throat, then by day 3 or 4 headache. After 5 days, night sweats, at which point I went to the ER seeking PEP. No fever and no swollen lymph nodes, but I'm still early so I'm still terrified. But I also felt the electrical pulsing or like my body was shaking at night. I'm 8 days post potential exposure. I also have a very dry throat.

I'm planning to get a PCR test tomorrow bc I have read that they are 99% accurate after 9 days. But I'm just posting bc I want to know if anyone had symptoms literally the day after. I don't know if the dry cough was related to the sore throat that came on day 2 or 3.

So maybe the dry cough wasn't related but the sore throat + headaches + night sweats + electrical pulse / vibrating feeling at night--together all have me VERY terrified.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board is positive and had symptoms at days 1-3 post-exposure. That's the main thing I'm wondering. I know most people have more severe symptoms but that doesn't mean I'm safe. Some people have none and others have mild and I know something isn't right.

Thanks very much to anyone who can give any information.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: high risk activity + symptoms the next day or two--risk? new
      #272688 - 06/24/13 02:25 PM

Symptoms are really something you can't read too much into, especially for HIV, or anything really, so many illnesses can carry the same calibre of symptoms.
From what you explained and who the encounter was with I would recommend going to your local STD/HIV clinic, you could have caught a nasty STD.
Keep in mind though "beautiful people" are not immune to STD's and HIV so to be on the safe side, conitune in the direction of testing.
A final thought though also is try to ease on your worry, I know it's hard but sometimes a constant worry and anxiety over the situation can lead to nasty headaches, flu like conditions and dry coughing, just from dehydration over anxiety!
Just to set your mind at ease alittle, I know this is always hard to take, but being HIV myself, it really isn't all that bad, it's not a death sentence anymore and if you happened to have caught it or any std, you'll still be you tomorrow!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

scaredtoday

#272689 - 06/24/13 02:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know that HIV isn't a death sentence anymore. But I am actually an athlete and have pretty much always been hard cord anti-mainstream medicine. Whenever I take meds for just about anything, the side effects drive me insane. Obviously with HIV meds wouldn't be optional and my life *as I know it now* would be over. So I am just full of terrible fear. I only mentioned that she was beautiful bc I guess the thought might be--why would you lick anything that didn't look right? I don't know, just not wanting to seem like a freak for licking something that didn't look right but anyway...

The ER doc said that my only risk was from getting Hep or HIV. He didn't think HIV bc symptoms appeared too soon. Other STDs weren't a risk bc no penetration, no shared sex toys. Just my mouth/ possibly her blood. So that's the fear.

I'm just trying to get a sense of what symptoms would feel like. I only have a dry throat this morning, but felt the same way yesterday morning only to have the headache return by evening (and I don't tend to get headaches ever, so...) and then the night sweats also.

I just can't believe this. I almost never even have sex much less this craziness. I was shocked when I learned about her sex clubs, regular and numerous sex partners, male and female, probably all different types of lifestyles, fetishes, etc. She was a nice person but clearly had a messed up life.

Anyway at the moment I obviously just have to wait for test results. But again trying to get a sense of what symptoms felt like for other people.

I know this could be a cold but strangely it just doesn't feel like a cold. And I didn't start Googling until the sore throat appeared--so my mind didn't create that feeling.

But I do appreciate your reply and am sorry that you are living with this illness.

I would still love to hear anyone who is positive discuss the time before they felt symptoms or how those symptoms felt. I have read that, although rare, you can have symptoms "within a few days." I have also read that just a sore throat alone can be a symptom (from an MD answering a Q online). So obviously I'm freaked and can't really think about much else right now.

Thanks again.

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #272691 - 06/24/13 03:11 PM

well first off, even though there may have been blood, i would still consider this very low risk. oral carries the lowest risk of hiv and certainly rimming was not a risk.

second, symptoms are completely unreliable. not to mention, nobody goes through the same experiences. so just because you think you match someone else's experience or symptoms, it doesn't mean anything at all because when it comes to HIV there's nothing specific that takes place.

lastly, if you were to test positive (and again you had very very low risk), your life would not be over as you know it. you would work with your doctor to choose a treatment regimen that works best for you and minimizes any side effects. so you'd be fine, but again, the odds are extremely in your favor that you are negative.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

scaredtoday

#272692 - 06/24/13 03:41 PM

Well I've read numerous online sources that say performing oral during a woman's period is high risk and the ER doc agreed.

I hope and think and pray that the odds are low anyway, but low risk and no risk aren't the same. And I am having symptoms. I also understand that some people have no symptoms, some have mild, and some have terrible.

But I guess the one thing that I thought might be definitive was whether symptoms can be experienced as early as I have had them. Unless there is some science saying yes or no, however, I guess I just have to wait.

And rimming itself doesn't concern me. It's the fact that maybe she had a hemorroid or some sort of something very strange around her anus (like a rim of skin?? it was dark but just wasn't smooth--very strange).

I'd still like to know if anyone has had symptoms literally the next day, or within 2-3 days.

Thanks!

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #272694 - 06/24/13 04:34 PM

Actually the risk wouldn't be so great, if any. Studies have shown that saliva inhibits transmission of HIV. It contains enzymes that destroy the virus. I'm assuming your saliva acts no different.

Any discussion of symptom is a complete waste of time. Since you already seem to have decided to disregard the answers you receive here, you only have one option. Get a test in 6 weeks. In the meantime you just have to wait and speculating during this time is only counter-productive.

scaredtoday

#272696 - 06/24/13 04:50 PM

I'm not as concerned about the saliva as the fact that I had a blemish on my chin.

I haven't decided to disregard. I'm looking for people who have seroconverted and wanting to hear what happened to them.

I have read from various sources that oral sex is safe UNLESS the woman is on her period. Sucks to find yourself within an exception but here I am.

I'm actually very surprised that an AIDS online resource would be so repeatedly dismissive of those with concerns about infection. At this point I've read many posts and they all end the same--you have nothing to fear. While that may usually be true, it isn't always true, and sometimes people do get infected.

Everyone who asks a question is told that they refuse to listen and they shouldn't worry. Really very surprising...but who knows who runs this site, who moderates, their medical background or anything else.

Wanting to evaluate symptoms is normal. Testing is required for anyone--and assuming someone who posts is negative is, well, just as much a potentially faulty assumption as my fear that I am positive.

I'm writing mostly for those who might also be reading/writing in fear. Don't let a chorus of naysayers stop you from trying to find answers. But then get tested. They have a test for early detection. Try to get that one. Otherwise just hope your symptoms aren't HIV...that is about all any of us with real concerns can do.

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #272698 - 06/24/13 06:16 PM

Here's why we are dismissive. Nothing you have described says HIV. Period. No matter how you choose to spin it or how much you want to believe otherwise. Don't like the answer then don't ask the question. We are here to give facts not conjecture.

scaredtoday

#272699 - 06/24/13 06:29 PM

I have your responses to many other people. You always say and sound the same. I wonder what causes your obvious anger and/or irritation at other people who are just concerned?

Are you an MD?

An MD told me that I should get tested and have some risk. I have also read that performing oral on a woman on her period is a risk. Ditto with rimming a potential hemorroid.

Logically speaking, I know for sure that neither of us can actually have any real answer regarding whether I have contracted the virus.

If you by some terrible chance you happen to be a practicing physician, you should hand in your license ASAP. No physician would dismiss symptoms based on probabilities, particularly without knowing any real facts.

I might have had a tendency to take these responses personally had I not read many replies to other posts before posting my own. Fact is, I didn't see a single reply taking any single person seriously. Not one. On this whole forum.

This place is a joke and I knew it--but thought I would give it a try anyway. If you want any type of objective information, go over to ask the experts. These forums = total joke and complete insult.

anotherday

#272700 - 06/24/13 06:59 PM

I'm not going to be one to throw a bunch of insult after poor taste, but just to defend a site where it is nice to come and chat with others who share this common thread of HIV. Sure no one is probably an MD (and if one was recommended by an MD for testing and that there is risk, why come here?), it is nice to escape the technical side of HIV for a while just to share our feelings and emotions.
An opportunity to maybe help someone else along based on what we each feel as individuals.
"scaredtoday" commented she was "sorry" I have HIV, to be honest I'm not,never have been, never will be ... I had a life prior to HIV, it was good, I have an awesome life because if HIV, turned things around. Getting diagnosed changed me the person, and everyone I knew have noticed that, and have embraced me even more than they ever have, not out of pity but out of how I now see life, my attitude.
I can obviously see how some people could use attitude adjustments, maybe HIV would help, maybe therapy or maybe just coming down off their high horse and seeing how other people like to help each other! How we interact with each other as humans on an equal playing field!
Athletes strive for excellence as individuals and some in a team effort, but ALL athletes have countless scores of people encouraging them on, having them reach new heights new distances ... same with this forum, we might think we "struggle" alone, some do in their personal lives, yet on here we have a family, we have friends, we have people who have been there and people who are just starting their new journey. If someone finds this to be a "joke or complete insult" I pity them as a human, fear can make people say crazy things, but reaching out for a hand ... pray someone reaches out too, because it is a long way to fall alone!!!

--------------------

scaredtoday

#272702 - 06/24/13 07:08 PM

Your response makes no sense.

This is a joke and complete insult because EVERYONE who comes on this site AFRAID that they might have HIV is told unanimously--you had no risk and your symptoms cannot be HIV. When they continue being afraid, they are insulted. That is rude, insulting, and has nothing to do with the flowery togetherness you seem to imply exists on this site. That might be true for those who have been diagnosed, but for those who fear the disease (and who may well have it)--there is nothing but insulting jabs.

I have read the symptoms enough to know what they are. And to know that no one knows without testing. I also know there are lower risk activities and higher risk activities and what those are. Some people on this site ask about activities that clearly list symptoms that very well could be seroconversion. And everyone here jumps all over the "you are fine" and "you're a stupid ignorant ass because you don't believe the non-MD clowns on this site who have said that your fever/rash/sore throat can't possibly be HIV, even though we really know nothing about the details of any sexual interactions....!"

What a complete joke. If you are scared, and you are reading this forum, you need to go elsewhere. But most of all you just need testing--just like I do.

It would be nice if people who have HIV would be willing to share how they experienced seroconversion, but that doesn't happen on this site.

Check it out for yourself--you can read thread after thread of insulting the intelligence of those who are asking. Thank goodness I ready plenty before I reached this site--I know my risks and I know that I need to be tested.

Bottom line--if you are scared, don't trust the insulting idiots this forum. Go to a doctor. And don't feel bad when they insult you bc they insult everyone. For GOD knows what the hell reason--but they do.

anotherday

#272703 - 06/24/13 07:12 PM

Seems like you really enjoy being here though!!! You haven't left all day!

--------------------

scaredtoday

#272704 - 06/24/13 07:16 PM

That's because I'm trying to read from people who have the symptoms you stupid idiot. I'm terrified. Ditto with everyone else who comes and asks.

You can know this for sure--my being here has absolutely zero to do with my liking any of the regular posters on this site. You are all idiots. I am reading the stories of others to try to keep my mind off the test results that are coming.

I do not seek friends in this idiotic place. You are all raving angry lunatics with an obvious axe to grind. Thankfully I will probably be away from this place soon enough and you will all still be here in your misery--my one day to your surely years around this place.

crabmanModerator

#272705 - 06/24/13 07:22 PM

The CDC doesn't think you had much of a risk. Do you think a period or two didn't figure into their stats? Or do you think you know more than they do?

Estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV, by exposure route:

Receptive oral 1 in 10,000. Insertive oral 2 in 20,000.

A 10 year study done in Spain shows NO transmission between negative partners and a positive partners that use condoms for intercourse, yet not for oral. Do you think they might have been blood involved once in a while.

As much as you want to think you have had some great risk, you just didn't.

Sorry to ruin your drama. As I've said before, you have made your mind up and as further of your posts have proved, you will ANGRILY defend your belief that you are you infected.

Fine. Do so. We can't talk you out of it, and quite frankly it's no real concern for us. We have given you the facts. You choose to dispute those facts. Your choice. You're own made unnecessary hell. You chose it. You live with it.

crabmanModerator

#272706 - 06/24/13 07:24 PM

Yeah most of us will be here for a while. We live with HIV and in order to survive have learned a hell of a lot about HIV and how it is transmitted. You sound as if we all just want to give false information in order to trip us the uninformed. Your pretty insulting to people that live with HIV. It's pretty sad that you beg information while doing so.

You've made it quite clear you know much more than those of us that have lived with HIV, some for decades. Since you say you are only here to read the stories, do so. You are free to read all the stories you want. I see no use to your posting however. I am more than happy to help you not have to interact with all the idiots you feel you must deal with on this board.

Good luck with your future testing.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3676

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3