Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Worried249

Reged: 06/18/13
Headaches
      #272592 - 06/18/13 11:54 AM

Hi there.
I recently had protected sex with a Thai stripper/sex worker who was based in South Africa. I also received oral sex( also protected). I started to develop headaches about 3 weeks after the incident occurred, these headaches last the entire day particularly when I think about having contracted HIV. The are sharp but do not last more than 8-10 seconds. I have never suffered from headaches before in my life. After feeling very guilty, I went for an HIV test 6 days after the incident occurred and was negative. I am aware that this is too short to be conclusive. My only other symptom is a funny feeling throat/neck. It's not sore but just feels weird( around the thyroid and 'Adams apple'. I am extremely worried that I have contracted HIV but I am also not sure if these symptoms are a result of anxiety? Any assistance would be appreciated?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Headaches new
      #272596 - 06/18/13 01:30 PM

You seriously need to get into a trusting relationship with someone and stop having sex with strippers and hookers.
I think your feeling guilt and anxiety always worrying about contracting HIV, maybe you should worry before the "incidents" occur. Like maybe avoid completely having protected or unprotected sex with people you know or care nothing about, especially if every "encounter" or "incident" throws you into a worried panic like this!!!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

Worried249

#272602 - 06/18/13 03:33 PM

Thank you for your reply, that was only the second women I've ever slept with and my first time in a place like that. It was disgusting and will never be done again. I really don't want to be patronized, I just want the facts from the professionals and to hopefully be free of HIV. Thank you again for your reply, this is really a great network, full of useful information, but ill ask again, does anyone have any more information on this unfortunate situation that could be useful?

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #272609 - 06/18/13 11:18 PM

You had protected sex, even protected oral.

You had no risk.

Worried249

#272619 - 06/19/13 07:37 AM

Would anxiety be a logical explanation for the headaches? Also went to the doctor this morning, he said my throat is mildly red and blood pressure is slightly above normal and said its not likely that I contracted HIV but he still looked skeptical, I was given augmentum to take twice a day. Thank you to those who replied and any extra info would also be appreciated.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #272634 - 06/19/13 10:43 PM

Stress ca do many things to the body . The med your doctor gave for your throat is " just what the dr, ordered" Just take it easy and give your body time to de-stress. I don't think it was sceptisim that was on his face . He was more likely perplexed that you thought you were infected. A sore irritated throat can be just a sore irratated throat.

Worried249

#272637 - 06/20/13 06:36 AM

Thank you all for your help. I went for a rapid blood test this morning which is exactly 5 weeks since the awful incident occurred. The test came up negative. I am also going for the full blood screening next week to be 100% sure. This website is a fantastic resource for information and insight from others, thank you to those who helped throughout this ordeal. My final question is how accurate are the rapid blood tests after 5 weeks? Thanks again.

anotherday

#272638 - 06/20/13 11:00 AM

I'm sure the stripper/hooker will be happy to read that you had an "awful incident" ... please think twice now before playing with fire.
Keep in mind these people are human too and if they have an STD or HIV that they too have caught it from someone else and even if they are involved in the oldest profession, people are still keeping them in business!
There is no guage to test accuracy of blood tests, the only guage is that negative or positive, you are still you, and for you to learn from this "incident" where your fear lies, make that your guage on what you do in the future!

--------------------

crabmanModerator

#272645 - 06/20/13 01:50 PM

Again, you used a condom for both oral and intercourse. You did not have a risk. Many times people allow their bias toward a person or profession or their moral beliefs to color their perceptions. Personal opinion however is useless in risk assessment and should never enter into the equation. The bottom line is that it NEVER matters the 'who'. The woman you were with can be a sinner or a saint. It's the 'what' that matters. Are the activities considered a risky to start with. If so, did a person use condoms or go without condoms, thereby putting themselves at risk? If they did not use protection, then what is the estimated risk per act?

Bottom line is that you were protected from HIV by your condom use no matter your partner's HIV status.

As far as blood test stats, which you didn't need over this incident anyway. 5 weeks is pretty damn close. A test at 6 weeks is considered over 99% accurate. The only reason for the 3 month anymore is to catch any outliers.

crabmanModerator

#272646 - 06/20/13 01:53 PM

"please think twice now before playing with fire. "

He used condoms. That's not playing with fire. That's using sensible precautions against transmission. Millions of dollars are spent just to get that message out.

If there was no gauge to test the accuracy of tests, we'd all be testing from here to eternity.

anotherday

#272652 - 06/21/13 12:25 AM

I had a nice elaborate explaination of my comments to Worried ... but then I felt I was in defence, not necessary, he and I know what we discussed
"playing with fire"
"the guage"
I don't need to explain to anybody, but it would be good if people would read the entire thread before making harsh comments to people!!! Oh and to look at life with a broader view, not just testing, transmission and condoms... afterall we are people first!

--------------------

Edited by anotherday (06/21/13 12:50 AM)

Worried249

#272787 - 06/28/13 04:48 AM

Thank you both for your responses, both perspectives are relevant in this situation. I have learned a lot from this ordeal and have grown as a person. I tested again at 6 weeks and the result was negative. My mind has been put at ease and I know that I am HIV negative. I will still be going for the 12 week test to finally bury this issue. Keep doing what you guys are doing, you really do help people and this is highly commendable. Thank you.

anotherday

#272791 - 06/28/13 10:19 AM

All the best my friend!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1667

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3