Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
hi_jack_jack

Reged: 05/01/13
what's the probability?
      #271904 - 05/02/13 01:28 PM

Hi... I am new to this... the forum and the whole HiV stuff... I'll telll you a bit of my story. I am 27 years old, I'm gay and i have been with a guy for about 7 months. During the last month we started having some problems, last week I decided to finish our relationship, thing is when I asked for an explanation of his behavior, he told me "I'm gonna die" just like that... (yeah I know too much drama)... obviously I immediately thought of HIV, specially cause we have been having risky sex... I was in shock cause he hide it from me all this time... thus exposing me... after the weekend, we went to have me tested... I was convinced I'd get a positive result... but no, I got it neg, but I will have to wait for a couple of months to really know if he didn't infect me cause the last time we had sex was like 3 weeks ago. Now my question, what are the chances I get a positive result? I mean I know from the test that was negative that at least until march mid march I was negative... after that date we have had sex like 2 other times... what would be the chance in those two times I got infected? He told me his viral load is undetectable I don't know if that helps... plus I've read how being circumcised and being a top reduced the risks... what would you think? I know there's no way to know until i get tested again, but in your own experience? Thank you for reading (and answering) and for keeping this wonderful forum/site really...

I have been a bit paranoid cause I've read of how the virus produces an acute "whatever" 15 days to 3 months after the infection... I've been checking my temperature :/ and I don't know... is it possible to tell if i have been infected just byy signs like fever, ganglion swelling, etc? I'm so confused right now in every sense.

Edited by hi_jack_jack (05/05/13 06:27 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: what's the probability? new
      #271906 - 05/02/13 03:45 PM

Being the top carries a roughly 6.5 in 10,000 exposure risk per the CDC. Your partner's undetectable viral load is a very good thing.

ARS "whatever" = Acute Retroviral Syndrome and it is the period when the body is seroconverting. It typically occurs between 2 and 4 weeks. 50 to 90% of people may show some symtoms. HOWEVER all the symptoms are common and found in hundreds of different illnesses from the Flu to Cancer.

A test at 6 weeks is pretty close to definitive and if you have a negative, it is highly unlikely to change by a 3 month conclusive negative.

hi_jack_jack

Reged: 05/01/13
Re: what's the probability? new
      #271945 - 05/05/13 06:15 PM

Thank you for your answer... I am really freaking out, I can't wait to have me tested again... I've been reading a lot of stuff and I don't know, it's confusing and with HIV you cannot just take things for granted... for example I've read that for heterosexual sex, being circumcised reduces the risk (I am circumcised) also that the viral load of the positive person may also help to reduce the risk (my bf told me his viral load is undetectable) I was so suprised when I had the test and it came up negative... I mean we had unprotected sex at least for 12 times, if the next test i'll take turns out negative I guess there are two possibilities, i have been VERY VERY lucky... or there is a real risk reduction in being a circumciced top and a link with the low viral load of my bf... wish me luck... now I can't think of other things...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1669

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3