Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
INALN

Reged: 04/30/13
Could I really be infected??? Anxiety is killing me....
      #271883 - 04/30/13 06:10 PM

About eight weeks ago I had a sexual encounter with a random female (I am a male) I met at a party. She gave me unprotected oral sex, and I gave her unprotected oral sex as well. We then proceeded to have vaginal sex but I wore a condom throughout the encounter (It did get a tad loose, but It never came off and my penis never came in directly in contact with her genital area. The next day she gave me unprotected oral sex again, and I did "finger" her too.

Now the reason for the post, exactly two days later I came down with a fever, a night sweat, and swollen gland. Since I am a natural hypochondriac I panicked and immediately thought I had HIV. I came down with depression for about two weeks. I went to the doctor and I got medicine prescribed, and all the symptoms are gone (I think). My lower right side of the abdomen was also hurting a bit, and I had a tad of sprain on my groin when I played soccer. I do exercise a lot however.

What are my actual risks for infection? I still need to wait at least 4 more weeks for testing, but my anxiety is killing me and taking the best of me. Every time I read a post of the HIV symptoms online I feel worse and really bad.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Could I really be infected??? Anxiety is killing me.... new
      #271885 - 04/30/13 07:43 PM

Guy goes to the doctor and says, "doc, every time I raise my arm it hurts." Doctor says, "well then don't raise your arm."

If you know your going to get upset stop going online. Meds wouldn't have helped ARS and not would ARS show up two days later. HIV is a virus and like all other viruses it takes weeks to reach a level for the immune system to cause symptoms.

You can test now and then again at 12 weeks, but what you described carries only a theoretical risk. Meaning you have better odds of being struck by lighting on a clear day. Don't think you are going to buy a rubber suit to walk around in so why worry about this.

And before you post with what ifs, save them the answer will still be the same.

boydanny81

Reged: 04/27/13
      #271895 - 05/01/13 09:20 AM

you dont have hiv risk. you can take the test now 8 weeks is enough to produce antibody .. after 3 months take the test again.. anxiety is a cold killer

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #271900 - 05/01/13 02:17 PM

Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV.

But testing is always a good thing. Since you're 8 week post incident, you can test now and at 13 weeks. Or if you're patient, you can do a single test at +13 weeks.

Was the "swollen gland" (in the neck? armpit?) diagnosed by your doctor? many people don't know what a swollen lymph node is.

regards.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2742

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3