Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Zina28

Reged: 04/07/13
Too early too tell?
      #271558 - 04/07/13 02:57 PM

15 days ago I had unprotected vaginal and anal sex. I have HSV2 so I know Im at higher risk for contracting HIV. 10 days after the encounter I got a sore throat and swollen glands. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with strep. The test almost looked negative, but she said there was enough of an indicator on the strep test for a positive diagnosis. I have been on antibiotics for 72 hours and now have a yeast infection and what appears to be thrush, though Im not certain. I am doubting my doctors diagnosis and speculating that this is all too coincidental. While my symptoms can be explained away by strep and antibiotics I am skeptical. My doc also said 10 days was too early to be having early signs of HIV. Is that true? I know the only way to know for sure is to get tested, but 3 months is a long time to wait with this kind of anxiety. Thank you.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Too early too tell? new
      #271563 - 04/07/13 06:19 PM

You have certainly had a risk, but your doctor is correct. 10 days is too soon for symptoms. Besides symptoms are not a way to determine status....EVER.

You may be skeptical but why is it so extraordinary for you to have come down with strep. It seems the antibiotics have done two things antibiotics do: Cleared your strep and caused a yeast infection.

You can get a test at 6 weeks. A negative is extremely unlikely to change by 3 months. Other than that, you just have to wait. The symptom game is a HUGE waste of time.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 730

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3