Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
rob422

Reged: 04/03/13
symptoms of HIV and ARS question one more time
      #271528 - 04/06/13 12:21 AM

okay i can't find this question in the index.
i'm very new to this whole HIV scare. and i'm also finding out that everything i've read about HIV from other websites is misleading.

i don't really care about the possibility of my infection status or whatever, i just want to learn about this virus. it appears that it's harder to catch than from what i've read.

thanks to crabman who educated me a little more, i have a few questions to fit the missing pieces because of the contradicting material i'm reading between websites -_-

symptoms of HIV include flu, weightloss, swollen lymph nodes, malaise, night sweats, anxiety, etc, etc..
but those are also symptoms of ARS.
and after ARS you go into the asymptomatic phase.
so my question is when do you actually experience the symptoms of HIV?

or is the symptom of HIV actually going through ARS for a few weeks, then a phase of an asymptomatic life? in which case the symptoms i listed above, as symptoms of HIV, are only associated with ARS and present for a few weeks, until the AIDS status?

so the cycle of HIV/AIDS goes as follows?
1. ARS
2. asymptomatic phase
3. AIDS

my biggest question is the asymptomatic phase as it seems misleading to me.

in this phase, you're not supposed to get any symptoms for 10 yearsish.
what if you get sick during this phase?
how can it be determined if it's associated with HIV or not? and the symptoms of HIV are too common, so wouldn't the slightest illness be triggered by HIV? in which case it wouldn't actually be an asymptomatic phase?
i dunno if it sounds confusing, but i'm really confused.

thanks in advance

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: symptoms of HIV and ARS question one more time new
      #271530 - 04/06/13 02:20 AM

I'm gonna say this and I really hope you listen carefully. It's going to sound condescending but it's the only way to get the point across. HIV is not some big bad evil monster it's a virus. HIV causes absolutely no symptoms, your immune system does in response to the virus. It's just like any other virus, herpes, flu, etc.

During initial infection the virus runs ramped. Your immune system responds by making you sick (creating an environment it's hoping will kill the invading virus.) HIV meanwhile is doing its thing and reproducing not really caring cause it needs the immune system to reproduce. So the bigger the response the better. All of the sudden the immune system realizes that instead of throwing oil on the fire it will back off. Thus entering the asystematic phase. It's happy that the virus has settled down and is manageable for the moment. You still catch the normal colds and fight them off just fine. Eventually though after years of fighting the virus your immune system gets tired. Cause remember it has to fight free radicals as well and your immune system weakens. Now something as simple as a cold becomes a major issue because your immune system isn't strong enough to fight on two fronts. Thus you are now considered to have the symptoms that define AIDS. Still HIV hasn't morphed into some monster (though it would be cool if it did. I love scaring kids.)

There is the mysterious and elusive life cycle of HIV. The monster virus. So scary. A itty bitty virus smaller than a cell by about a 1000 times. Are you getting the point yet? I'm sure your missing it.

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #271534 - 04/06/13 08:04 AM

HIV won't kill you. It's the illnesses that develop because of the impaired immune system that does that.

Some of the illnesses on the list are illnesses that people without HIV can get, but if someone has AIDS, it's harder to clear it up or the condition will continue to return over and over and over again, such as thrush or for women, vaginal yeast infections.

Below is a list of AIDS defining illnesses. You will notice that each of these illnesses and conditions has symptoms. Many times the SAME symptoms. Which is the reason that diagnosis is done by testing not by what symptoms a person has.

http://aids.about.com/cs/conditions/a/infections.htm

Now. No more questions answered until you come back here with your test result. Your exposure was in October, over 3 months ago. Your result will be conclusive.

rob422

#271548 - 04/07/13 04:44 AM

sure, no more questions until my test result.
-_- i'm not feeling good about the possibility of the outcome though.
i always have a sore throat, cough, and tongue sores, and malaise =(((((((

wish me luck, although i can't get tested until mid may

rob422

#271549 - 04/07/13 04:45 AM

wow, that was actually a very well explained response.
it's not condescending, it's called Barney-style

crabmanModerator

#271550 - 04/07/13 08:14 AM

"-_- i'm not feeling good about the possibility of the outcome though.
i always have a sore throat, cough, and tongue sores, and malaise =((((((( "

It seems our answering your questions was a complete waste of time.

rob422

#271554 - 04/07/13 08:40 AM

well i would say i am more educated about HIV than before.
i just wanted some assurance whether i do or don't have the virus based on the symptoms and timeline i've experienced.
because i'm driving myself crazy. getting each symptom i've been reading about etc... i dunno if it's even possible to think yourself sick...

but sorry if i made it seem like i wasted your time. wasn't my intention.
thanks for all the info.

crabmanModerator

#271555 - 04/07/13 08:50 AM

"i just wanted some assurance whether i do or don't have the virus based on the symptoms and timeline i've experienced."

Like I said. A WASTE OF TIME. You've been told you can't get any assurance or even a clue of your status from symptoms you THINK you have.

I would suggest you get yourself off the internet, cause you are rapidly turning into a worried well...a fate worse than HIV.

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #271556 - 04/07/13 11:06 AM

Here's an explanation for all your symptoms that aren't HIV related. Fear and stress with a hint of allergies. Sore throat and cough usually when not accompanied by high fever (102 >) is caused by post nasal drip. Most common causes of post nasal drip are allergies and stress. Malaise is a broad term used for general discomfort. Stress is the leading cause of it.

And sores on the tongue my favorite. I bet the majority of the sores are confined to the edges of the tongue. Go out and buy yourself a mouth guard for sleeping and watch them disappear like magic. Then let me know so I can bill you. Also invest in some Claritin.

rob422

#271569 - 04/07/13 11:03 PM

wow kicker, you are amazing.
everything you said makes sense now, and seems to be somewhat true in my case.
i'm visiting my relatives in a Asia, (first time visit) and have been feeling sick ever since i got here. this is also the reason i can't get tested because... well honestly.. i don't want them to know anything.

@crabman, i will follow your advice and stop googling hiv symptoms etc. ever since i started, i think my mind began manifesting symptoms on its own.

i appreciate your time and advice. i'll be posting here in about a month with my results..

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6950

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3