Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Earlymorning

Reged: 04/01/13
Exposure from performing CPR?
      #271453 - 04/01/13 12:03 PM

A few nights ago I was out with a friend and we were walking down the street when we noticed a couple of people standing in the middle of the road a bit down the way. When we got closer we realized there was another person lying on the road. Apparently this person was extremely intoxicated and had been saying he was hit by a truck but when we got there he was no longer breathing. A fifth person joined and said he was an EMT and I joined in assisting him with CPR. At first, I started with chest compressions and he did mouth to mouth, but as I am a small female I couldn't compress quite hard enough so we switched. I only managed a few breaths before we saw the ambulance heading up the road.

I am a very anxious person when it comes to diseases of any kind, a bit of an admitted hypochondriac, but I am wondering what my possible risk of exposure to HIV might be. This was a stranger and I have no idea of his lifestyle, risk of infection, etc. There was no visible blood that I could see, but it was night. Also, I have a canker sore just inside my lip from biting it a couple days prior, though it was not actively bleeding. Is this considered an open wound? Though I do plan on visiting my doctor in the next couple days, I was just looking for some answers in the meanwhile. I'm a mom to a toddler and am terrified at the thought that I may have put myself at risk, irrevocably changing both of our lives forever.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Exposure from performing CPR? new
      #271454 - 04/01/13 12:19 PM

Saliva is not considered infectious and actually has enzymes that inhibit HIV.

I would think there would be more fluid swap with kissing than the breathing during CPR and since kissing is not considered a risk for HIV it follows that you also were not put at risk while helping this person.

Earlymorning

Reged: 04/01/13
Re: Exposure from performing CPR? new
      #271455 - 04/01/13 12:23 PM

Thank you.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1283

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3