Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
hdd566

Reged: 03/19/13
What is the likelihood of infection?
      #271231 - 03/19/13 01:08 PM

Hello,
I was recently in a situation in which a sexual partner and I engaged in unprotected sex without my knowledge. Once I realized what was happening I immediately stopped it, at which point he told me about his hiv + status, and that he was "undetectable". There was no ejaculation nor was blood apparent. I am just wondering what the likelihood of me having been infected is. I know I need to go get tested but 90 days of extreme uncertainty is making me very nervous. I have heard of a post exposure prophylaxis regimen, but how do I obtain it? Does anyone have any sort of advice as to how to proceed? I am quite scared/nervous about al of this.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
Re: What is the likelihood of infection? new
      #271234 - 03/19/13 05:07 PM

If you have been exposed to HIV in the past 72 hours, then you can take PEP. I don't know where in the world you live, but you can go to any hospital or HIV/AIDS prevention center and they will surely be able to help you with that.

If it's more than 72 hours since your exposure, then PEP won't be helpful anymore and therefore you must test at least 3 months from this incident to know your status. If you don't know your status yet, you can test now (baseline test) and repeat it at 3 months.

Since your partner was undetectable, the risk of transmission is very, very low. You don't say wether this was vaginal or anal sex, nor if you were the insertive or receptive partner. (it seems you were the receptive). If you were the receptive, the risk is greater than for the insertive BUT since it seems your partner was 'undetectable' the risk is still very low.

In the future ALWAYS use condoms. Keep us posted.

All the best.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

hdd566

Reged: 03/19/13
      #271294 - 03/21/13 07:37 PM

Thank you for your insight, I really appreciate it!

The sex was anal, and I was indeed on the receptive end of things. I also want to point out that there was no ejaculation. would that make the risk even lower? I am deffinetely past the 72 hour mark at this point, I did however get tested and the result came backl non-reactive. I am quite nervous and was wondering if taking a test at 4 weeks is advisable, or should I just wait the whole 90 days.

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #271301 - 03/22/13 07:52 AM

Wait until 6 weeks. A negative at that point is extremely unlikely to change and hopefully it will give you enough peace of mind to get to the 3 month conclusive test with undue stress.

As has been pointed out the fact your partner has a very low viral load and did not ejaculate are both in your favor. However unprotected receptive anal sex ranks the highest risk for transmission for different sexual activities.

If you dodge the bullet this time, and you probably will, remember this time in your life and chose never to repeat it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1568

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3